VISA query

hi everyone,

I have a query about my working visa. I was granted an entry visa for Norway and a temporary resident permit.

that VISA was sponsored by my employer, let's say "Employer A". But, I haven't used that visa and I am not yet there in Norway. Just few weeks, I received an offer from another employer, let's say "Employer B".

My question goes this way, if I am to take "Employer B"'s offer, do I need to apply for a new visa? Since I will not be going with "Employer A".

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Hello,

You should check this out with UDI (www.udi.no) just to be sure. Try to get something in writing if possible, since they have a history of giving out false information and then denying it later.

David

Thanks David. I already asked them and will wait for their reply.

I already asked the Norwegian embassy and they told me the same thing to check thru UDI.

I'm in another group for foreigners in norway on another website and someone recently asked the same question. According to the advice there, it's allowed to change employers if you have a valid visa already, but you have to notify UDI of the change. I presume that your case is similar, so it sounds like you're on the right track by going to UDI with your question.

Hi ECS,

Thanks for your information. Are you able to share us the link of the said thread from other forums?

sorry, it's a closed group for American expats, so sharing the link wouldn't be very helpful to you :)

Finally got a reply from UDI:

Dear XXX,

We refer to your e-mail dated 8th January 2014.

A working permit can either be connected to an employer or an occupation. Your permit is connected to occupation. In your decision it is stated that you can work as a Mechanical Engineer. Thus, if you get an offer of employment for another employer where you will be working as a Mechanical engineer, you do not have to send a new application. Please note that you only have six months to enter Norway, if you get another offer of employment (before you have entered Norway) after more than six months from the decision from the UDI you have to submit a new application.

That sounds positive.

David

yes you need to apply again because you have new contract.anyway,Can I ask?where did you apply?why you have a lot of offers from the employeer norway?.thank you for the reply.

ludz wrote:

yes you need to apply again because you have new contract.anyway,Can I ask?where did you apply?why you have a lot of offers from the employeer norway?.thank you for the reply.

"You can change employers without applying for a new permit. You must perform the same type of work, however.

If you are to perform work of a different type, you must submit a new application for a residence permit. You may not start performing work of a different type until you have received a new permit."

That's what I got a reply from UDI, if you work as Computer Programmer, you must still work as Computer Programmer in case you want to change an employer.

How did I got offers from employers? Just post your CV on linkedin and finn.no and apply for positions. Just see to it you have the right and sufficient skills and knowledge.

Thanks alot pepponeskie for sharing your experience,
and clarifying this further to us. :)