[EXPAT BLOG] IDEAS FOR MONTHLY MEET UPS

Hi everybody on the Dubai forums,

I have been following the discussions here since quite a few months seeing that I am moving from Mauritius to Dubai in July.
I have read so many post about how difficult it is to meet people and make friends.

A good idea would be to organize meet ups such as the ones we organize monthly here in Mauritius! and I'm not talking about meeting for a drink, LOL.

I would like people in Dubai to give me ideas such as spot discoveries, sport events, games and whatever which can be combined with picnics or BBQ on the beach or in the desert.

Also please keep in mind that we need activities we can do with the children!

I've lived in UAE many years ago and have been back for vacation a few times since 2000 but things have change a lot there so I need your help to start up on this!

I will post the same on the French forum so that we can have  multilingual meet ups as many of you seem to want to improve their French here, LOL.

I hope to receive a lot of good ideas!

Arlette

Hi Feeacer

No drink :( oh nooooooooooooooooooo lol

BBQ on the beach sounds great but its to hot in july and aug and i'm not sure what can be arranged inside during those mths where children can participate apart from diving,(depending on age), nightgolf, skiing, I usually find its best to take it easy during those mths and chill with a cold beer!

Will try and come up with some more ideas.

:)

Hi Chocmad,

I know about the hot season, don't you worry! I lived in UAE fron 1975>1980, in KSA from 2000>2008 and in between was often for a few days off in UAE, also was there for 6 weeks in 2009.

Anyhow I'll arrive in July so I need to settle down before starting to organize meet-ups. That's why I start collecting ideas to what we can do...in cooler months!

And of course we can meet for a drink :cheers: or for ladies coffee mornings or similar activities. I don't have anything against it!

The other meet-ups I had in mind where of course to be organized on weekends to cheer up all those "bored" people around. LOL :cool:

Are you a "working girl"?

Cheers
Arlette

yeah, working girl!

I can meet for coffee out of office hrs or breakfast over the wkend, let me no when you arrive and we can arrange a morning/evening out and drag the bored people away from their sofa's lol...no more TV ;)

CHEERS! :)

My sons and I will arrive in Dubai at the start of September.  We are coming from Saudi Arabia so we are use to hot weather too.

The beautiful coffee shops in Dubai will be a major novelty for me after dealing with the broom cupboard style booths in family sections in KSA coffee shops.

Hey Alethe,
Saw your postings in KSA forum :D.
Ok so that's already 3 of us with Carinette (french Dubai forum) to roam the coffee shops in Dubai.

LOL

Arlette

Bonjour,

Are single men allowed in the meetups

Of course they will! Why not?

In our meet-ups in Mauritius we have them so.... you'll be most welcome!

Keep an eye on the forum!
The meet-ups will be pinned on top of the forum as soon as they start getting organized!

thts a wonderfull news, i think the meetup to be planned indoor now as its getting too hot outside, else plan during a evening near a beachside? what say

OK if anybody wants to start organizing until I arrive to Dubai, they are welcome! :) But please create a new topic,so that we keep this one only for the ideas as says the title,hanks!

I'll do the follow-up and translating to the French Forum (that's what we do here in Mauritius - common activities!].

Otherwise as I said above:

Anyhow I'll arrive in July so I need to settle down before starting to organize meet-ups. That's why I start collecting ideas to what we can do...in cooler months!The other meet-ups I had in mind where of course to be organized on weekends to cheer up all those "bored" people around. LOL :cool:

Cheers
Arlette

Hi Arlette,

Seems we have enough time to arrange. meantime we also will keep thinking of a venue where we can arrange stuffs.

Its only a matter of 2 months and so we will wait for your arrival and then start for organizing a meet

I have just arrived, so count me in also!

But ideas and places I may need to leave up to you guys....

hey
can be boys come?

Hey FreAcer,

this sounds pretty good. I am open for this. Let me know your plans please.

thanks,
Vikram

Hi FeeAcer. how about to stay over night at desert in july or aug. because the evening was not so hot. we can have BBQ there also music & we can stay till morning after the sun rising then back home for rest.

[moderated: kindly do not advertise for other expat communities; thks. We do not advertise on their websites either!]

Thanks for your comprehension.

suggestion from helen is warmly welcome as thats a real good idea and it seems its well budgeted....

helen thanks for the tip....any indoor activities you have in mind and from others are also welcome

I suppose even a good Bowling alley would do. Fun place to hang out, meet and have a good time.

hi all,

what about a comedy club,i hear they go on all year round and some of the worlds best comedians perform here in dubai, or we could go shooting in jebel ali, i have been a few times and its great, it gets your adrenalin pumping, you feel very powerful (i do anyway lol) and these a pub upstairs, which serves food for a reasonable price, the only thing is it can be addictive so you can end up spending a lot more then intended :)

Chocmad, your ideas sound cool.  I love comedy clubs and shooting a gun sounds awesome.  Count me in if this ever gets arranged.

Matt.

matt organisee organise!!

@ matt, shooting is great, i'm against people having guns at home, but in a controlled environment FANTASTIC! as newbie913 suggested organise a night out..i will help out and would recommend friday 18th June, 2 wks from now.

chocmad wrote:

@ matt, shooting is great, i'm against people having guns at home, but in a controlled environment FANTASTIC! as newbie913 suggested organise a night out..i will help out and would recommend friday 18th June, 2 wks from now.

Hi Chocmad,

Very nice if something emerges from my topic. Although, personally I hate arms, it will be a good starter if you can organize this :)
But please start a new thread so as to not make things too confusing! :)
Arlette

FeeAcer wrote:
chocmad wrote:

Hi Chocmad,

Very nice if something emerges from my topic. Although, personally I hate arms, it will be a good starter if you can organize this :)
But please start a new thread so as to not make things too confusing! :)
Arlette

My sister is visiting that weekend, I am sure she would love a night out thought :0 Keep me posted.

Ok Newbie & Chocmad,

As I understand this, although I'm still in Mauritius, it's on me to start the organization of this! :lol::lol::lol:

Send me the details by PM such as location, timings, etc. and I'll do it!

It's rewarding for me to see things start rolling after my suggestion!!!

Cheers, have a nice day!!!

great to see some initiativeness....let me know if something planned out

hey guys, count me in on any activities. as long as im not working, i'l be der

Friday 18th June is England vs Algeria and I can't see myself being anywhere other than a pub on that day.  Perhaps we could arrange it for after the World Cup?

Newbie, are you hitting Double D's on Friday?

Yes it is and showing during our wkend, we can change the date or maybe do dinner before hand.

Question all:

Who's up for dinner at 6pm on friday 18th June before the england mach??

If i get a good response i will forward the info to FeeAcer, please state if you have a preference for food or a location you will not travel to, keep in mind we will have 2.5hrs to find a huge screen to watch the match, which is life or death for some.

matt85 wrote:

Friday 18th June is England vs Algeria and I can't see myself being anywhere other than a pub on that day.  Perhaps we could arrange it for after the World Cup?

Newbie, are you hitting Double D's on Friday?

Facebooked ya back :)

hi guys
I'd like to join you, so count me in on meets up.
Arlette, see you in July!

I'm very happy about the success of this topic! Really!:D

But where are your suggestions????

Last time I really lived in Dubai was back in 1980! True!
Dubai was a very small town back then!:rolleyes:

Things have just changed a very little bit :P:P

hi feeacer,

i have dried up on suggestion..right now i am football crazy...yeah things have changed in dubai since the 1980's but it went back to the 80s last year :)

once youre here and footbal is over, we will have the forum buzzing again...come on USA - have to love the underdogs..some more butter fingers and the cup can be anyones..woooooooooow!! ;)

Hi Arlette,
I suggest one big meet up in July, when you come to Dubai.
As for venues, I am not for coffe shops, I suggest some pub/club, so that we can drink, (for those who drink:)), maybe Irish Village or somewhere in Madinat...

Great Idea Mila,

I'll come back to you as soon as possible on this.

Till then, enjoy the upcoming heat !!! LOL

Arlette

Thanks Arlette:)

Looking forward to your coming here!

Ello Ello,

I just moved to Dubai last week and i'm looking to explore the city and make new friends. Great idea FreeAcer. if you guys are planning on meeting up, i'm all in

For an inital meetup it's important that people can talk, the point after all is to get to know people.

So I suggest if your choosing a bar or a club as a venue that you look for somewhere where the sound is at a manageable level.

What bar shall we meet in then?

Why not a "World Cup" Topic thread?  One of you guys start it!