Retirement

Hi.  Jean here , was wondering how the hospitals and doctors are for people who have retired .Do you have to take out private health insurance

Thank you jean

Hope not Jeanie because that is us!

Hi chinooks.   Thankyou for your reply , is the health care system like uk    Jean

Not exactly. In the main it is free but you do not have the luxury of a named GP like in UK. You can attend the polyclinics (found in all the towns and villages) and see a random doctor with any problem for free. As far as I can understand there is no information about you stored anywhere unless you attend the hospital.
To see a GP on a regular basis, you generally have to pay a few euros. Even then, I don't believe they keep notes which is a bit bizarre having worked in the NHS most of my life.

Hi chinooks  great to hear that ,it may be I will need a knee replacement soon is that type of surgery done in malta or should I have it done here in Scotland   Jean

The answer depends upon what age you are and which country one comes from.
Also, if from UK, if you are entitled to an S1.
Basically everyone receives free emergency health care but after care may well have to be paid for by yourself.
An S1 is granted, from the UK if one is over UK State Retirement age and in receipt of State Pension.
We are 'retired' but below UK State Retirement age.
That entitles one to full care as if one was a Maltese National.
Otherwise, health care is provided under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between Malta and the UK and medication and some after care and all medication, other than that given in emergency circumstances, is to be paid for.
Personally if I knew I needed treatment before moving out here, I would have that done at 'home' for various reasons yet saying that I will not fault the system here. I have experienced it.
See this article which contains some information: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316705 otherwise use the internet and look at Malta health sites: https://www.gov.mt/en/Services-And-Info … Malta.aspx

Hi redmik.   Yes I am on retirement pension from uk ie Scotland. That is very good to know ,I love malta and the way of life will have to come over for a long period and work out all the costs involved .I hope you and your wife still love malta as that would convey great reassurance to me ,Thankyou for your reply          Jean

See the contact details in the post
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316705
and speak to the DWP in UK to clarify your situation.
Also, I strongly recommend a 'due diligence' visit, particularly during the colder and wetter months.
We did, so we were prepared. Expect expensive heating bills through those months.
And yes we love it here on Gozo.

knee-hip.eu

Hi seat oa       It's my knee.  Jean

Jean, we know that. The link refers to a private consultancy that will replace hips and knees.
The International Knee and Hip Center Malta is a German centre of excellence for computer -assisted knee and hip replacement and custom -made joint replacement.

Hi redmik.    That is good to know it sounds better than here in Scotland .I would imagine its private and expensive but I am scared and putting it off .I may get more information on the German knee replacement centre .I am not too hot with links ,will wait till the weekend and get tech boy to look at it for me ,that's my son who does computer everything lol,thanks once again it's so nice to get an insight on options I may be able to take up sometime soon Thankyou mick

If you are fearful then perhaps it would be best to get it done where you can be supported by kith and kin?
I would certainly not come out here with this type of condition before it was rectified.
Malta/Gozo have a lot to learn about the needs of pedestrians, especially those with mobility issues.
If you have to use a wheelchair then you will be at a very great disadvantage and risk of serious harm.

sadly pedestrian walkways or pavements are not really designed for anyone with mobility issues here nor for walking  more than single file - great if your a red indian!!!!

toonarmy9752 wrote:

sadly pedestrian walkways or pavements are not really designed for anyone with mobility issues here nor for walking  more than single file - great if your a red indian!!!!

Not if you are of the Bigfoot tribe!! :whistle:

Hi toonarmy.    That made me smile . I can see that you need your mobility for the streets in Malta .I thought the surgery would be more beneficial in a centre of excellence with assisted computer ,would possibly be a better outcome for surgery there and recuperate back here .  It's so nice to be able to speak on your forum and get such honest advice Thankyou.  Jean

I am sure there are 'centres of excellence' in the UK (Scotland - well for now :-) )
I am also sure that any in UK will be the equivalent of any here, particularly private run.

Hi redmik.    Sadly the private sector is not as upmarket here in Scotland as hopefully it is in malta ,I will off course do all the homework needed before I make an informed desicion . It is a trying time here in Scotland with immigration bearing an increase in our hospitals waiting times ect     Jean

or black foot even - and those extra special red indians in apacheville

Hi again toonarmy.    Wee really do need humor in these trying times love your quips   Jean

jeaniecam wrote:

Hi again toonarmy.    Wee really do need humor in these trying times love your quips   Jean

Blimey, have you seen the size of his quips!!!

oops,   :offtopic:

Lol lol lol     Quips😋

a few minutes on the lips but a lifetime in the quips

Met my landlord, Darth Vader;s brother today

Taxi Vader

am i smug or what

I remember my teacher telling me that looking out the window wouldn't get me anywhere.

Did I have a smile on my face yesterday when I handed him his burger and fries at the Drive-Thru.

So Suarez got a brace last weekend.

He should of had one 20 years ago,then he wouldn't look like Shergar now.