Fiancee Visa (US to Norway)

Hello potential repliers :-),

I'm currently in the process of trying to get a fiancee visa to go to Norway and marry. I've done as much research (online) as I can and I think I pretty much understand most of the steps. I've already submitted my application online and taken all of the necessary documents to the Norwegian consulate.

When I first submitted everything, the UDI website (and the consulate) informed me that it would take up to 6 months to hear back. I recently checked the UDI site again and it's looking like that has been bumped up to 7 months. I guess I'm just looking to hear about as many personal experiences as possible. So anyone who has gone through the fiancee visa (and then family reunification after marriage) is welcome to respond.

More specifically though, I'd appreciate applies from Americans as it seems like each country gets slightly different treatment. For example, a lot of the personal experiences I've read have been from people from places like Australia or Canada and they seem to have the lowest waiting times (apparently because they don't normally require tourist visas to get into Norway and their countries are a lot more cooperative with the UDI).

Any response will be helpful and appreciated!

I'm an american but I'm not here on a fiancée visa. However, if you are a facebook member, there are two groups for Americans in Norway where many people post on topics like this. The timeline seems to vary widely, as you might expect.

Ah nice, I didn't even think to check facebook. Do you know the names of the groups? Also, do you have any tips or words of advice for settling into Norway?

there's one called "americans in norway" and another called "americans living in norway"

there are also tons of expat groups with regional focus- I'm in one for women just in my county, for example.

I moved here from another Scandinavian country so the transition hasn't been too extreme for me. I recommend making connections to as many people as possible as soon as you can, and check the groups for ideas on what things you might want to stock up on before moving. Some products are either impossible to find here or are extremely expensive.

Thanks a lot. I'll look into those groups for further suggestions :).