Question about the Tourist Card

As an American I understand that before leaving the Dominican Republic, you must pay a fee if you overstay the limit. Let's say I move to Santo Domingo for a year. When I leave the country, will overstaying for this amount of time on a tourist card affect my ability to return to the country?

Welcome to the forum! Overstaying the tourist visa is really common. Technically it could effect a future visit but the reality and actual practice - no problem at all.

What brings you to Santo Domingo?

Welcome to the forum.  Many folks overstay the tourist card time with no problems.  There are lots of "snowbirds" who are here for 4=6 months every year and do not bother to get their residency cards but rather just pay the overstay fee.
For you it will be $2500 pesos for staying 9 months to one year.

Bob K

HELLO All, This is syringles... I posted half of my question a couple months ago, and instead of starting over, thought I would add on to this current discussion.. To summarize my situation, coming for 6 mos. the first time to see how I do and will be flying  home mid-stay since my long term plan is to move down but always return for a trip home every 3 months or so for the two to three weeks since my doctors and now 2 grandchildren will be in states.. I plan to apply for residency after the first 6 months but will remain US citizen.  For my trip in May, have a six mo. rental in Punta Cana and will fly back to Indianapolis 2 1/2 months into stay for approx 3 weeks then return.. Bob K, you had given me a table/list of various fees you  had paid in the past when overstaying the visa card.  Now that I'm about to buy my first round-trip airline ticket, this is where I wanted to ask more questions as, other than a cruise which required a passport but was never looked at), I have only traveled 10 years ago to China. 

So, when I arrive, I am assuming I will fill out a card  either on the plane or in line for a tourist card for whatever agency is like the INS or ICE? in the US... In China, I had to state the purpose and the length of stay and that was matched with my round trip ticket.  This is the question that I have had in mind since the first round of gracious answers from this group...It all sounds really easy but since I will have a ticket that states for example may 1st, returning  July 15th? .. clearly much more than 30 or 60 days... do they not look at your airline ticket?  This has puzzled me? What has been your experience and do they really not check to see that you have a return flight and that it is the same as the time you state you will be staying?  Am I better off to actually buy one way although I can't imagine that not raising eyebrows....?

And also last worry (sorry about the length but maybe this will help others) since I want to do this coming and going and may not do the residency until I'm sure, let's say I pay the fine for overstaying my tourist card, is it just no problem to arrive right back there 3 weeks later as a person who overstayed their tourist card and paid a fine 3 weeks before.  I will assume they don't keep a list with millions of visitors or do they? I guess what I'm wondering is do they really not care as they obviously charge for overstays but as in my question in paragraph one, I can't imagine they don't ask for your intended length of stay on the input form for the card and match it with your airline ticket and of course as just stated...and noticed on one of your answers (Bob K) "....Technically, it could effect a future visit", this is to my last point where I see myself arriving after my trip home for 3 weeks and being recognized (assuming they keep some kind of records?) as someone who already just recently overstayed their trip and will have a return ticket til October 30th of 2014, again an overstay? 

Any suggestions as to what I might face based on the way I am doing this.. have no problem with the fines.

While I understand your concern, you needn't be. No one really is going to look that hard to see what matches. no one really cares.  They care when you leave and pay the overstay fine. They don't care when you are coming back. They just want the money you have to pay.  And it really is that simple right now.  Once you have residency then you dont pay any overstay fines or need a tourist card either. 

Overstay fines are calculated based on the stamps in your passport.  It is that simple.

Thanks so much, Planner... As I hope to be on the forum more often, I appreciate these responses as quite honestly the only concerns I have are the reactions and questions from my family, most especially my Father, who will no doubt ask me to not go, be quite negative and come up with all the type questions I have just asked.  I realize that having MS, some would say, I shouldn't, couldn't, etc., but that is actually so silly.  As it sit here right now in central Indiana and in the middle of a snow storm, living in an apartment by myself,,,,cannot access the trash dumpsters, mailbox and heaven forbid the electricity goes out when it will be -14 F without the wind chill.. certainly not the norm but there generally is snow and very cold for 3 to 4 months.  I do have family within 3 to 5 miles but there is rare taxi service, no public transportation and my Father, who worries the most lives 500 miles away so that will be my argument but it will be nice to have an answer to just about every "worried" family question.... Sunny and 85, taxi's (don't mind the private van $35 if I have to go to the mall), Medical facilities within 1 to 2 miles, El Dorado shopping center 2 blocks for pharmacy and just about anything else I Have to have.. almost too perfect...and I do realize I'm no going to China but since many countries are different, that is why I asked... Time to get excited and thanks again.

You are very welcome honey! I love your "can do" attitude. I will make a point of inviting myself to visit you when you are settled!

You are certainly thinking this through. Not many folks do so GOOD JOB!

As to airline tickets, many air lines do require that you have a return ticket to fly to the DR.  When you land they don't check anything about your ticket so no worries there.  When you are a resident then you can buy a one way ticket with no problem.  I am now going on 8 months here on a one way ticket, but I have my residency and go back to the US every year or two.  All trips are on one way tickets.

Good luck on your adventure.
Bob K

I also understand your thoughts on cold and snow.  I am about to leave for Edmonton Canada to visit a good friend in the hospital.  Yesterday it was -29F and a wind chill of -47.  It will be a shock for these Caribbean bones!

Bob K

OMG Bob I am so sorry for you!!!!  Yikes, that is cold. I once went skiing just outside of Calgary,  at -30C they close the ski runs!!  That is damn cold.

All I know is that after I returned a few weeks ago it took about 5 days of warm weather here till my testicles thawed :)

Bob K

I understand you pay 10$ per person coming into DR for 30 days..  If you leave within 30 days, how much is the exit cost $ please  Thanks

If you leave within 30 days there is no exit fee.....

Exit fees start on day 31 and have gotten more expensive this year.

Bob K

Thank you, that 's what I thought, but certain UK charter operators are putting on their web site that you have to pay 20$ per head on leaving and that is based on a 14 night stay!

On another matter I never got a reply from Bob (probably busy) regarding internet costs in Sosua.  I need a minimum of 2-3 mbs, better 3-6 for downloads etc.  It seems the costs vary a great deal.  Any thoughts?  Thanks

Ducketts

That is a different thing entirely.   Most inbound tour operators include that in their fee structures.

If you are flying from the US all carriers include the $20 exit tax.

From the UK most do not so be prepared to pay $20 USD on exit when you check in for your flight home.

Bob K

Second sorry about not responding I thought I had.

Most providers here on the north coast are on a contract basis so you need to be here for a while.  For us the speeds you are asking about are around $99 a month.  You can get a stick from Claro or Orange but not sure of the speeds or the length of time you need to sign up for.

Most rental units will provide internet for you.

Hope this helps and sorry did not post this sooner.  Like I said I thought I had but remember "memory is the first thing to go and I can't remember what was second"   

Have a great day... Still freezing my ass off here in New Jersey.  Current temp is 24 F...Yikes !!

Bob K

Currently  a  very nice morning. Temps are now nice and cool at night -  cool is relative!!! For us that are USED to the weather here it is fabulous for sleeping. For visitors it is still tropical!

Oh sure make me jealous :D

Bob K

Can you pay the exit fee with  credit card  or should I save some cash?

No Credit cards US cash only1

Bob K

Thanks Bob