Playa Lagarto Eco Developement

Can you lease share with us who is your builder and architect? How much each of them charge for 1m2 or if you pay for architect, permits, building construction together? Cost for 1 m2?
How long it took to get all permits? Are you building a concrete block house?
What is your opinion/ experience with your architect, builder? Do you pay by phases?, by monthly?
How is the quality? plumbing? Hope it is Ok to ask you those ???
Appreciate your info in advance.

Hello Roy-F,
No I have not decided on anything yet and yes I would really like to hear about your experiences and get some pointers!  The fact your house is still not completed makes it even more important that we talk at some point!  Feel free to contact me direct (burnett1041at hotmail.com) when you have time. If you plan to be at PLED in 2016 let me know when, so we can meet? 

Thank you for getting back to me and Happy Holidays
Regards Bob.

Hello healthimpact,
We use a different Archtect/ingeneer and builder than the one provided on site. It came up to about 120.00$ USD sq/ft :  the logistic is the killer !   We have a 165 m2 house and it took 5 months to built.  We wanted to built with metal framing.  The company here (Frame project) order all its frame from Edmonton Canada.  All electrical and piping are also from Canada.
The architect takes care of all construction permits so no worries. Payment was in different phases thoughout the building process.

Hello Healthimpact,
With PLED you have an option to buy a land and use your own architect and builder. We have used PLED to build. They build concrete block houses. Cost per sq.ft was US$92.5 for a house and for a carport and garage it is a bit less. That cost included permits. Payments are in phases and it takes about 6 months to a year to build. Quality is pretty good. I cannot say anything about electrical and plumbing as our house is not finished yet.

I would advise anyone building a house here, to make sure you have at least an 8ft. overhang around the whole house as it will provide you with a cooler interior, shade and a cooler place to sit and help keep the very heavy rain from soaking your windows . The cost of the covered area will be at the same price per m². as the interior.

You will be out of doors more than indoors.

Excellent advice!

Hi Joan, I sent you a private msg.
Ty

I didn't get the message

Hi Joan,
Ok, Ty, I'll try sending it again !

I think you have to add me as a contact before you can message me

Does anybody who build house with PLED order upgrades and appliances? We found that most of the upgrades were not installed in our house.  We are waiting for 3.5  months for appliances but I found that it was not even ordered.
Nobody know what is going on, no planning, no scheduling, no activities coordination. So frustrated....

Hi Roy,
Yes I think it's ridiculous that they don't have a catalogue or nothing they can show us, and I told them that.
I wanted that info before I bought and there was nothing available.
Just Last wk they still had nothing planed in that aspect !

Hello Julie,
One of the owner here, saved a bunch of $$$ by buying his furniture on his own.   PLED buy at the same place you would.....and then charge you quite more......

Hi Ermac,
Did you buy your own ?
I thought it might be less with pled because there ordering a lot, also they say they don't mark it up ? Not sure if that's true.
In what town did that owner bye ? Is it close by ?
I plan to go in May, June, when the villas are completed and was hoping not to sleep on the floor,,,lol
Ty much for your info, I'm also thinking of doing it that way if I can save !

Helo Julie,
We brought ours from Canada.  And the fellow I am talking about is the other full time PLED resident.  He bought his furniture in San Jose, got it deliver at the same store in Santa Cruz, then picked it up in Santa Cruz. M-C

As I found the upgrades catalog that they gave us was for Honduras project. Also as I was told by one of the guys from PLED, they buy all parts and material from San Jose and most of the time they cannot find similar faucets, tiles, showers, etc. (or do not want to buy more expensive).
I found that there are many companies in CR that providing the cervices of furnituring houses and apartments. They offer packages for 2 or 3 bedroom houses or do an individual design and offer you a package.
We are ordering our furniture from small furniture factories that making everything to your spec, your dimension and offering different kind of wood.  It take longer and as PLED and RECAP are enable to tell you even approximately when the house will be finished, it is difficult to order anything that it will be delivered on time.

It's a bit disappointing to hear about all the challenges you guys are having with your appliances and furniture needs and the lack of help from recap and the folks at PLED!  That said, according to what I have read in books there is a Duty Free Zone at Golfito and you can also hand carry, up to $500 of small appliances (kettle, toaster, plumbing parts, etc) per year providing it is for your own use!  I would suggest that you confirm the current import tax rules and Google "The Golfito Duty Free Zone" for more information.

Has anyone else actually done this?

Hope this helps, regards Bob.

Personally I would buy all of those things myself. There are plenty of appliance stores in Santa Cruz and usually if they have what you need, Coopeguanacaste has 2 stores with nice appliances and small kitchen machines. There is also J&G furniture in Huacas that has great stuff or can make it quickly for you. If you are on Facebook, there are groups of local people selling things as well in nearby towns. Don't rely on the developers.

Joancr,
I am with you !  We got our kitchen table and chairs/bench done in Huacas.  They made it exactly how we wanted it.  We are really happy with them.

Hello everyone,
We have reserved a lot D37 in Phase 4 and planning to visit the development in the next 2-3 weeks to see the lot before finalizing the purchase. It will be great if somebody can advise (whoever has been already there) where it's more practical to stay. Is Tamarindo closest to PLED ? Any suggestions on hotels, B&B, other type of accommodation. Also, RECAP mentioned that their tour guide Gabriel can come and pick us up from the hotel and take us to the development for a tour... I didn't ask RECAP but wondering and hoping that it's probably a free service? I also wonder if we just want to rent a car to drive around the area like Tamarindo, Santa Cruz etc, how much approximately it cost to rent a car? Any suggestions for the trip would be appreciated... Thank you in advance.

Hi,
There is a B&B in lagarto, the owner posted in this forum, if you look at older post you'll find her !!
Welcome to Pled !

Thank you Julie for your quick reply. I am not sure how currently practical it is to be on B&B in Playa Lagarta/on site as, as I understand, there are no supermarkets and restaurants in the development and the development itself is in the middle of nowhere? We would like to stay min 3 days to see the areas around the development, like Tamarindo, Santa Cruz in order  to have better idea and feel of Costa Rica. What do you think on this?

Hi Inna,
If you're just going to see the land I agree it might not be practical. I can't give you to much info on the area as I'm going for the first time in June, although I bought a villa already.
I don't think they charge for Gabriel picking you up, up to 30-40 mins away.
There's also nosara to visit, 30 mins St of Lagarto!
Wish I could be of more help !!
There's surely other members that will give you advise !!

And an other owner told me Gabriel his very nice and he will go get you and show you around no problem!!

Hello Inna,
You may also stay ar Playa Marbella or Playa Janquellal. There a few hotels near those beaches. It is closer to Lagarto. However if you staying in those places i would recommend renting a car.
If you renting car pay attention to insurances. It may cost more than the car rental. Part of the road (10 km ) to Lagarto is not paved road and it was not yet repaired after rainy season. It is better to rent 4x4 car but not necessary at this time of the year. Also remember that the closest to Lagarto gas stations are only in Tamarindo and Santa Cruz.

Hello  I am a lot owner at PLed tamarindo is a good place to stay. Fairly close. I also have  2 lots for sale. In the development. They are in phase 1 lots 56 and 89. You might want to look at them also. I have just reduced the price on them could save you some money.

Hello Inna,

I would like to support Roy in his comment.  Playa Marbella has a couple of places you could rent from, I am thinking about the "surf-inn" where there are a couple of restaurants around and is only ~15 minutes from PLED.  Roy has stayed there and was quite happy with their room.  I beleive they have been renovated.  Playa Junquillal is really nice too.  There are also a couple of places you could stay......"Tierra Pacifica" condos are my favorites, but there are others.  Playa Junquillal is at ~25 minutes from PLED. If you like tons of people, and would like many choices of restaurants, night life, beach at doorstep, then Tamarindo would be a better choice.  Tamarindo is about ~45 minutes from PLED.  I do not know any hotels in Santa Cruz.  There are a couple of motels type, which I am not sure I would stay.  Don't get me wrong, Santa Cruz has a lot to offer I just don't know I would stay over there.  Gabriel is a nice fellow and will come pick you up.  I do beleive it is a free service.  Trust me, he is being paid for it !
Phase 4 is very nice. MC

Thank you so much everyone. Your replies are really helpful... can't wait to see how the Development looks in real life and not on the pictures....

Rocketman, can you send me the info on my email [email protected] with the details on your lots for sale: size and how much you want for each lot. I believe they are in Phase 1 and closer to the beach?.... Thanks.

I have a b&b in Junquillal named Hotelito Si Si Si (google it) and am about 30 min from the site. I also have an ocean view lot for sale. I have had many potential buyers from there stay here. There are stores and restaurants here as well. Not as many as Tamarindo but that is a good thing!

I have to agree with you, Joancr, we also beleive that Junquillal is a MUCH better place to be than Tamarindo ! But I think it is because we prefer the quietness of the area.  If we want busy, we drive to Tamarindo and do not stay for very long !!!

And they were lovely to have dinner with you both on. Wish we were there now!

Wish you were here too !  We are having another BBQ with other neighbour this PM ! You are most welcome if you wish !  There are 6 famillies on site right now !  It is getting crowded ! Another ine arriving this pm

Oh, cool more people, ya it must be getting crowded, lo lol,,,have fun !!
Any of those family's have young kids ?

The couple arriving tonight have a young girl.  Not sure how old: between 5 and 10 yrs old.  They have purchased a villa closed to yours. One of the owner of a house in phase 1 has 3 girls from 10 to 16 yrs old. Another couple (no house built) also have a daughter around 10 ish.  I am really bad with age.  Loads of little girls......no boys....

Hi ermac,
That's great no boys !!!!,,,lol
Are those families gonna live there full time ??
Will the kids go to school in nosara?
I'd love to get in touch with those families, can you suggest this site
as you get to know them ?
I was a bit worried that there wouldn't be many children and my daughter would get bored when we visit.
I'm happy to hear !!! Ty
Julie

HI

I don't want to play killjoy . I m sure this development  has interests but seems a bit isolated from
Costa rica reality . 
Do  we want to  live  Costa Rica in a ghetto just with  american , canadian or french or are we moving away to meet other people , other culture or other language ???
People from north america and europe are looking for  the "pura Vida " and famous costa Rica way of life , which is based on a simple life with respect of human values , respect of tradition , open minded with foreigners etc.....
If you are living in the middle of nowhere , even if it's a paradise you'll never know  Costa Rican society and how it works. I consider that is very  important to be near a city or a big village . First of all, everything is easier  for multiple administrative and bank works . In a small city you will know a   builder , a good woodworker, a good carpenter etc.... the best way to know tico is to build your own house. You need a basic spanish and during the 6 months that lasts the contruction you will improve significantly your spanish and you'll have new tico friends. You will find out why a small area  of Guanacaste near Nicoya is a "Blue Zone" which concentrate more  one hundred year old people than in  five  american states.  You will find out  that the correct price to build a nice house is around  50 $ per square feet + 10 % architect and taxes fee.  I've  just finished mine , a   4 bedrooms ... 
Of course ,  this comment  has a goal : Have a look on this presentation underneath .
I really found in love  with Hojancha and really think it's a wonderfull area for people who  like  nature,
and share with local people . Most of you had bought , others are always thinking about it . In both case I invite them to visite Hojancha and Finca Bonanza when you are in CR.

Finca Bonanza is a new residencial development created by a French developer who has been living in CR for over 13 years. Jean Claude discovered a beautiful town, nestled between two mountains, while riding his motorcycle. Not knowing exactly where he was; he was attracted to a beautiful park and how the locals displayed a strong pride of ownership toward their homes.

Many years after, this unique town, named Hojancha, located in the province of Guanacaste, earned the "BLUE FLAG ECOLOGICAL" award for cleanliness and order.
It was then that Jean Claude decided to buy a pristine 50 acres farm with the idea of sharing his love for nature and the concept of a sustainable development with people who choose to share his dream.

The property has a perfect shape and contour for an amphitheater with a river running through the center of the property. 14 of the lots have a beautiful view toward the mountains and the town. The final project is scheduled to consist of 25 homes with a commun area which will include : a recreation area with a large pool, tennis court and a basketball court.

The property is located 3.5 km. Or 2 miles from the center of Hojancha; which is a 10 minute bicycle ride away. hojancha offers all the conveniences of a small town including: a bank, supermarkets, restaurants, municipal services, the red cross, a private medical clinic and a private Catholic school.

The local Costaricans are educated, open and warm, and the climate is extraordinary being located 350 meters above sea level. Hojancha is one of the last places in Guanacaste where you can sleep with the doors open; security is not an issue.

And the ocean? Playa Carrillo, district Nº3, is one of the most beautiful beaches in Guanacaste (http://www.guiascostarica.com/beaches/guanacaste64.htm ). 
Playa Carrillo is a calm, bay with white sand and crystal clear blue water. The vegetation is lush
offering shade and tranquilness.

Lot Nº    Name    sq/meters
1    Roble Sabana    4909.30
2    Guácimo    5405.00
3    Poroporo    5342.98
4    Nancite    5197.94
5    Madroño    5106.16
6    Palmera    5278.99
7    Cortez Negro    5775.80
8    Pochote    5050.68
9    Guapinol    5033.00
10    Laurel    5304.80
11    Madero    7151.22
12    Flor Blanca    6682.99
13    Guachipelín    7217.96
14    Guanacaste    5912.77
15    Sandal    5773.95
16    Cortez Amarillo    6062.82
17    Gallinazo    11078.37
18    Espanel    8266.54
19    Ceiba    6389.03
20    Palo de Mango    7427.21
21    Cocobolo    3572.39
22    Llama del Bosque    5152.80
23    Malinche    6161.69
24    Tamarindo    7309.52
25    Tempisque    8344.96
26    Higuerón    6076.71
27    Sangrilis    6041.47
28    Cenízaro    6281.08
29    Palma Real    8327.59
30    Teka    5945.04

www.bonanzahojancha.com

Hojancha is one of the 11 cantons of the Guanacaste province.  It is located  north of SJ.
The medium size town of Hojancha  has not been touched by the uncontrolled development.  It is the main town of the canton which carries the same name and means large leave and comes from a local tree largely found in that area.
The canton of Hojancha is known for its continuous fight against smog.  This is the only province that was rewarded the ecological blue flag for its cleanness and its on going efforts  to protect the natural resources.
The Hojanchas area was initially inhabited by the chorotega indigenous tribe which occupied  a large territory of the Nicoya peninsula in the pre-Columbian time.  The tribe migrated to the north up to the edge of the nicaraguayen lake.   Nowadays one can encounter few indigenous villages although their current way of living is similar to the costarician  life style. The most important indigenous village is the one of Matambu.

The town of Hojancha is spread out over 79.61 square km, has a population of 5430 inhabitants (from 2010 census report) and  has an elevation of 350m above see level.
Hojancha is the largest cantons town, located at about 180 km (110 miles) from San Jose, its major resource remains the agriculture production (corn, rice, beans, fruits) and cattle ranches.

There are several rivers crossing that area like oro, Nosara, blanco etc. as well as several teak farms, few palm groves and for the most part a very lush country side favorable to cattle farms.
It is a must for the Hojanchas  visitors of to make a stop  at Carillo beach.  This U shape bay has a spectacular white sand beach surrounded by palm trees.

Going down from Hojancha toward the town of Carillo is a real enchantment, you can enjoy an exceptional view from each curb either to the lush  mountains or to the  blue pacific ocean.

It is important to notify that Hojancha not only is a cleaned town , proud of its natures diversity but is also a very secured area in Guanacaste .
That very peaceful , secured feeling, allows the inhabitants as well as the visitors to live in a priceless , serine atmosphere (or environment).    

Developper : Jean Claude Goron
Jean Claude Goron, 54 years old, discovered Costa Rica in 1996 and actually moved there in 2002.  He is currently living in Santa Anna , a west suburb of San Jose ( capital of Costa Rica).  He lives there with his wife Silvia ,who works as a lawyer, as well as with his two daughters.

After graduating from international business ,at the age of 30, he started in the suburb of Paris what will become later on, a very successful chain of fast food restaurants  a la fancaise.  He sold the business 16 years later.  The name of Casse croute continued to grow up, thanks to the dynamic vision of the new owners.  Nowadays, there are more than 120 chains of restaurant in Fance and Belgium ( www.classcroute.com )

Once in Costa Rica, Jean-Claude started as a construction contractor in Guanacaste.  Then, he opened a Moroccan design furniture store.  Later on, he opened a fine pastry shop in a shopping center near San Jose.

Jean-Claude is also the executive manager of his new creation, an import/distribution company of bags and hats under the name ofMandarina y sol.   www.mandarinaysol.com/
He was looking for a place Pura vida as the Costaricians are saying .  A very quite area, surrounded by lush vegetation, something similar to what he had encounter and enjoyed in the Nicoya  Peninsula during his first trip in Costa Rica. This is exactly what he discovered in the Hojanchas canton.

Finca Bonanza is a human scale project, fully complying with the ecological rules, where common sense, total harmony with nature and good neighborhood relation will be the common denominator for success.

This peaceful haven surrounded by a very diversified nature, the proximity of the pacific ocean, the friendliness of the inhabitants will allow the owners to live permanently or part of the year, in a real paradise where the cost of living is much lower than in Europe.
In order to preserve the architectural homogeneity , Finca Bonanza housing must respect specific design features where wood and glass will be the predominant building material.
The young French/English architect, Scott Wood, is introducing  below some of his visionary model home for that very exciting project.

Always a good idea to check out more than one development and location.

really amazing :
in attachment 2 links on  famous centenarians from Nicoya and Hojancha.
one from CNN and the other from National Geography .
For more information about Hojancha and surroundings:
[email protected] 

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/06/healt … fe-nicoya/https://www.bluezones.com/expedition/nicoya/

Hello jcg58,
it is nice to know that there are other developments in CR but this topic is for Playa Lagarto Eco Development. Most of the people who writing here already bought land or building house on Playa Lagarto Eco Development. It would be better to create new topic on forum about your development in CR

You are right. I will...
Good luck and maybe we can visit each others as Guanacaste 'neighbours.
Saludos