Need advice on Dubai package offered.

Hello everyone,

I've been offered a procurement position with a large building material company in the UAE. I would be working in the Jebel Ali area.

They just sent me their first offer as follows:

- Base Salary:                       210 000 AED / year
- Accommodation Allowance:   75 000 AED / year
- Car Allowance:                     20 500 AED / year

The package also includes 30 days vacation along with flights for my family and I (Wife and 2 children, 3 year old twins). SO the package is worth about 300k / year.

I am very interested in the position offered and the thought of relocating. But, the package seems low.

I'd like to get some feedback from you guys. What is the true cost of living in Dubai? Does it make sense to move my family from Canada to Dubai for 300k per year? Is it common practice in Dubai to send a counter offer?

Please help.

Shab

" Does it make sense to move my family from Canada to Dubai for 300k per year"

It depends how that compares to your present situation. You don't want to move jobs (anywhere) unless there's either a financial or a future-prospects advantage.

There really isn't a standard salary to judge by, they vary enormously depending on industry, company, where the employee is from etc. I know people earning AED650 a month with no benefits and others earning AED60,000 a month plus every benefit you can think of.

The holiday entitlement is by law, so is your air-fare - the only thing they've added is the family fares. The accommodation allowance is low and you'll almost certainly have to supplement it.