Posting personal information on forums - a very bad practice

Members are reminded that posting personal information such as e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, name of workplace or any other identifying data on open forums is a highly risky practice.

There are an endless number of scams out there, spammers, fraudsters, etc., who are constantly looking to get their hands on such information.

If you post private information on a public forum you can guarantee that it will get skimmed by some program and used for unlawful purposes. If you think that [at] or (at) in an e-mail address for example john.doe[at]mymail.com is going to protect you, think again... there are all kinds of programs that convert that immediately to "@" and you start getting all kinds of spam.

Expat-blog is not responsible for any damages or losses suffered by people who post private information on open forums. Read the Terms & Conditions.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

http://claremont.sd63.bc.ca/pluginfile.php/20173/mod_page/content/10/thief_coming_from_monitor_400_wht_10122.png

Hi William James Woodward,
yes it true! its too risky but anyway thank you so much for your kindness  :)

cheers,
hadi88

thanks for this advice....we already know those can be used for bad purposes...but didn t know that automatic programs skim the information.....

I am really appreciate you for creating this kind of forum which link job seeker and job provider together, more grease to your elbow.

Fully agreed. You shall take it slowly and one at a time as you know someone else here.........

I agree with you! Many members in Asian countries mainly do this and may be they think that is the good point to be trustworthy. They expose their phone numbers in threads though they have facilities to send them via pms.

Very true.

OMG I feel so scared now  :sosad:

Hi William James Woodward,

Thanks for the wonderful post - appreciate it very much.

By the way, is there any way I can get your email - I need to ask certain job related questions about Canada and Brazil.

Thanks in advance.

Kishor

Hi,
I'm new here.
Is there an area that you can report or at least expose certain people that may be suspicious, either for looking for a "wife" or for trying to access personal information?
I have to say, I received a pm from someone asking for email and facebook immediately. I considered email just for the instant chat feature.
I am glad I didn't now.
Is there a way to chat on here?
It seems it would be easier to get multiple questions answered vs. posting each time.
I am also having trouble getting responses from pm's and even my posts.
Thank God for jameela, whoever she is, but she must be bombarded since she is one of the few that responds.

Hello dua dua,

- If someone seems suspicious or sending you strange PM, i advise you to report the person by clicking on the report button found on the top of his post or by contacting us directly by clicking on this link below :
https://www.expat.com/en/contact.html

- For the chat option, please note that it is not available, you can post directly on the forum or use the private message option.

- Concerning problem sending PMs, i advise you to have a look to this link below and to follow the steps :
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23238
If there is still a problem, i also advise you to contact us directly.

Reminder : the initial subject of this topic is Posting personal information on forums - a very bad practice.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

100% true, that's why i'm not putting all info's about me...juz the basic one...

Regardless of the warnings there are still members who insist on posting private information such as e-mail addresses and telephone numbers to the open forums.

Just remember that once you post anything on the internet (anywhere, not just here) it is there forever. A simple Google search can find out almost everything you've ever posted to forums, photos you've posted, articles, etc. So if you've included phone numbers and e-mail addresses that's going to show up too.

If you aren't aware of the dangers or if you simply ignore the warnings and post personal information anyway, please don't complain to Expat-blog later on when you start getting all kinds of spam or nuisance phone calls. You need to remember that YOU put it out there and there is nothing Expat-blog can do about it because it's already too late.

The only thing you can do at this point is to cancel the e-mail account and change the phone number you posted publicly when the consequences become more than you can cope with.

Don't believe it? Then just Google your full name and/or any usernames you use on public forum boards and see what comes back, it will scare you silly!!!

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

I agree there is risk if you post too much personal info, you should not share personal info to everyone

True, I agree with you! Many members do this and may be they think that is the good point to be trustworthy. They expose their phone numbers in threads though they have facilities to send them via pms.

yeah i truly agree... posting personal information can turn out to be real harmful.

goo info

Thks for ur advice.

Agree!! thanks for the info..

Yeah this so true mate,thanks for the advice..

Thanks for the information.

You are right sir.
All member on this site be aware, there are some fraudsters on this web site already im posting as
Expats , one of them tried to ask for my email, and said he had  "important information to share" but I realized he is not who he says he really is on this forum , he has so many faces on this forum globally. So be cautios guys!!! He  goes like "don't mind my English"
Thanks!

well, some people see it as a way of opening up to people and of which is bad not knowing the person u are sharing ur info with.

totally agreed

I agree, thanks for the advice.

Thanks for that hint

hmm...

agreed

that's right.
spammed mail bothers me all the time,
need to care to write me personal information,

many thanks. :lol:

Thank you for the advise!!! What you said was very true. We should take care in everything that we do specially posting personal details...

I totally agree!  :idontagree:

Yes, the moment you post any personal information on the internet (anywhere, not just here) it's out there forever. You post an e-mail address or phone number you can be guaranteed that before long you'll be getting flooded with SPAM or receiving nuisance telephone calls. You'd be surprised just how many people complain to Expat-blog that they're getting strange phone calls or spam and then they find out that they've actually posted that information themselves. Sort of shoots their complaints right out of the water!

True

Hi William
thanks for your advice really is risky to  put your email or number

This is a great platform to know other inhabitants of the planet! :D

I totally agree with you.... with the technology now a days.... it is too risky to put your personal information in the net! Thanks for this info.

Yes, it is true. No one should give any personal numbers, or address om the public forum.

thank you and Regards.

Re: Posting personal information on forums - a very bad practice
I am really appreciate you for creating this kind of forum which link job seeker and job provider together,
Regards

yes fully agree, thanks to create awareness

SIR, THIS IS JERRY IN THE U. S., AND I AM JUST SAYING HELLO. I HAVE BEEN TO NAIJA TWICE AND HOPE TO VISIT AGAIN SOMETIME THIS YEAR. I HAVE FRIENDS IN LAGOS, OWERRI AND ABA. MY GODSON/FRIEND WENT TO IMO STATE AND IS NOW LIVING IN ABA. MY GOOD FRIEND IN LAGOS GRADUATE FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN, AND MAYBE THAT IS WHERE YOU ATTENDED COLLEGE.

MY GODSON/FRIEND, WHOM I HAVE KNOWN FOR EIGHT YEARS NOW (INCLUDING HIS FAMILY) WOULD LIKE TO GET A VISA TO VISIT BELGIUM, BUT I GUESS THAT IS VERY HARD TO DO AND EXPENSIVE. I HOPE HIS DREAMS COME TRUE, AND I HOPE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE AND YOU GET TO YOUR CARIBBEAN DESTINATION. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

IF YOU EVER WOULD LIKE TO TALK HERE, FEEL FREE TO WRITE ME. IF NOT, NO WAHALA. IF YOU EVER DO WRITE, WOULD YOU TELL ME IF YOU ARE YORUBA, IBO OR HAUSA OR ANY OTHER TRIBE? IF NOT, AGAIN, SIR, NO WAHALA. I AM JUST CURIOUS.

ALSO IF YOU EVER WOULD LIKE TO ASK ME QUESTIONS ABOUT THE U.S. OR ABOUT ANY OTHER TOPIC,  FEEL FREE TO DO THAT. AND I AM AN OYIBO. LOL TAKE CARE AND BE SAFE. JERRY

Live your expat project without any stress thanks to advice from expats

OR