Boat?

Just wondered whether there are any boat owners (especially who keep their boats in the south, Marsascala/xlokk/b'bugia) and wouldn't mind sharing some knowledge about

- what the costs are for importing boats from other countries or keeping a foreign registered boat here
- how to find a mooring ( looking for the cheaper swing moorings rather than 300/month pontoons.
- where to store in the winter and get serviced etc
- any formalities like licenses etc needed.

Thanks,

Joe

I should add that i am looking to buy something that a family of four and a dog could spend the weekend for general larking about and picnics on the water. Nice to have features would be

- not *too* expensive to buy or maintain
- twin powered. sail/motor or twin motor etc
- easy to get in and out of the water. having a http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0470055/ moment would be very uncool.

Personally i'd prefer a sailing yacht (i'd like to improve my sailing skills) but realise the benefit of the large deck areas of fishing/cuddy boats.

Any advice?

A company on Gozo called All-Trax they do buggies, cars and boat services and store but give them a call and maybe they might know of some boats for sale. Talk to Carl good luck :)

Sorry forgot to say look for them on face book

Transport Malta are the people to ask about licence etc.

http://www.transport.gov.mt/search.aspx … ting&lc=en

Boats are cheaper abroad, look at ebay but you then have to factor in transport cost.

Terry

What sort of boat, sail or power?

Would also be best instead of getting the Maltese marine license to go for the RYA CoC As this is what insurance companies and marinas ask for and it's accepted all over the EU (I have the training manuals for the CoC course if interested).

As for running costs, rule of thumb is what ever you pay for the boat 1/3 will be the yearly cost for maintenance etc.

There is no cost for importing a boat as long as it's within the EU. I'm looking a buying a yacht in Greece and sailing her back as it's cheaper to buy over there.

Also I would recommend getting a survey done on the boat you like before handing over any money.

I'll be interested to know what information you get on swing moorings around Marsascala as that's where I would like one.

Hope this info helps

Ken

I think sail would be better, considering the price of diesel. The informal chatter about the swing moorings is that its used to be a free-for-all and you'd drop your own "Mazra" (concrete bucket) and as long as you're further than 20 feet away from your neighbour its good. Clearly this needs some verification.

I hold a RYA day skipper license.

I'll post any info..

brayster99 wrote:

I think sail would be better, considering the price of diesel. The informal chatter about the swing moorings is that its used to be a free-for-all and you'd drop your own "Mazra" (concrete bucket) and as long as you're further than 20 feet away from your neighbour its good. Clearly this needs some verification.

I hold a RYA day skipper license.

I'll post any info..

Definitely some where like Greece for a yacht, could try Yacht World as a starting point, what size were you looking at?

I'm looking at a 35' Ketch at the moment solely because of the easy of sailing short handed.

Think if the swing mooring where that easy then the coastline would be inundated with them.

There's a swing mooring going in Marsaskala if your interested..

yes I would be, what size of boat would it be suitable for?

brayster99 wrote:

yes I would be, what size of boat would it be suitable for?

The advert say 17' - 18' but I think that could be pushed out a bit to accommodate a larger boat.