90 Day Visa and mm2h...

My wife and I are Americans although she is from China. Next year we are retiring and moving to China but we hope to be able to spend the winter season in Malaysia.
Later we could apply for mm2h but it is not possible for us until 2018. Would it be relatively foolproof to arrive on the 90 day tourist visa, travel out of Malaysia for a week and then return to get another 90 days ? We have no interest or need to work.

Hi nothing is fool proof although westerners usually have no issues. To be blunt you should have proof of marriage and financial support in case they get nasty as Chinese women often come to Malaysia for "work". Otherwise usually ok twice, but no guarantees of course as immigration can refuse anyone anytime (even with a prearranged visa).

Thanks for your response. Although my wife is ethnically Chinese she now carries an American passport. But I would of course make sure we had plenty of documentation. If we could manage to stay for 4-5 months every year without going through the mm2h that would be preferable. We will give it a try later this year.

It is an interesting plan, but have you done some research about the costs involved, as it is very difficult to get rentals that are less than 1 year (if they are shorter the rental tends to be rather inflated) - so you may have to live in a hotel or a serviced apartment.

Yes I understand about rentals and I had anticipated renting annually. After 2018 we could very well be spending more time in Malaysia as well.