General working visa (South Africa)

Hi,

My girlfriend is currently in the process of getting an intra company visa to work in South Africa. I will only be able to get a general work permit.
  I have been offered a job in Cape Town as a recruitment consultant.
  My question is, is it possible to work whilst the general work permit is being processed as I've heArd horror stories of these taking months to complete?

It is illegal to work without a permit or to employ someone but it can take upwards of a year to obtain a work permit . One friend is now waiting for about 19 months . Some companies will however overlook this if you have applied and are waiting. Even if they do tax and bank accounts pose a further problem you will need to navigate.

Thanks for replying Lorna.SA. This seems like a crazy way of doing things? You need a job offer to apply for a general work permit but if they can take upwards of a year to process and you are not allowed by law to work during this time, surely the company who offered the job will hire somebody else? How does anybody get a general work permit?

Hi I know it is a crazy system but it is what it is. You can't get a pemit without an offer and no employer will wait 1 year. Some employers because of this will employ you if you have applied but it does not make it any more legal. Unfortunatly this has paved the way for a group of people to offer "immigration assistance" many are former governmnet employees who assist in ensuring a swifter process for a price