Travel insurance and medial insurance confusion???

Hey everyone!!

I am a little stuck in this department.
I plan to be in Bangkok for a year, and obviously need travel insurance.

I've been looking at Southern Cross insurance
http://www.scti.com.au/quotehttp://www.scti.com.au/legal/travel-ins … l#section1

hopefully both links work :)

I have some prescription medicines that i will need to get there, but are not hard to obtain by going to a GP or asking the pharmacist.

My concern is, from what I understand, is that Travel insurance will cover some medical, like if I was in an accident, or something of that kind (and with SCTI there is an excess of $100.00) , but I've been told I should possibly looking for medical insurance too, for smaller things, if I were to get sick eg.cold, food poisoning; doctors appointments, medication, prescriptions etc.

1. Can anyone help clarify further on this?
2. Can anyone suggest any medical/health insurance that would be suitable?

Thank you :)

Travel insurance will only cover you whilst you are travelling and expires after a certain time.

Best Goggle 'asian medical insurance' and you will get plenty to choose from

@ miss.chriss: Please note that you can also contact our expatriate health insurance in Bangkok :)

As someone mentioned travel insurance usually is good when you travel not reside outside you home country.  Policies I had in the past were good for one year but only allowed 90 days of travel outside you home country on any one trip.  The clock would reset if you returned to your home country and took another trip.

Make sure you read the fine print of any policy you might consider.

Beside the 90 days cover (look like on the link you give), be sure you know what it cover, like motorbike if you rent that, some only cover some size of motorbike, do it cover like diving, jungle trip and so on,  or not, if that what you like to do.

In Denmark we can buy more days on top of the 90 days, donŽt know if that possible for you ?

Be sure to check IF/WHEN you buy a travel insurance for the whole year, That some only work IF you buy for the whole period, and NOT if you only buy it from the end of the 90 days you have all ready, AGAIN this information is from my home country Denmark, so i am sure it can be different in other country.

I know some people that get here for 6-12 month get a insurance in Thailand that cover them.
So if you a "young" person and have good health that MIGHT be a option for you ?
It go up in price fast the older one is,and if one health in not the best.
Then you can do in the 90 days you cover on that insurance you link, IF you have that one all ready.
Only a idea for you.

Personally i wont worried about the small stuff, like the cold, it is cheap here for the small stuff.
See my Doctor, get a injection for the cold, and some medicine i pay nearly 1.000 baht total in 2013.

See a Doctor at hospital it is "normal" 50 baht for the hospital, 300-500 baht for the Doctor.
And then more for what you need, like test, medicine and so on. Again it is when NEED to be hospitalized it run up, have to major things when there.
That my experience, i am sure other have other experience.

All ways be sure you insurance, so many skip it, and IF a accident happened, it can cost a lot.
Better safe the sorry.

Good trip when time come. And happy new year.

We have a policy with World Nomads as they cover a variety of situations and do long term travel.  Consider speaking to your doctor before coming to Thailand to see if you can bring a years supply of medication.  As mentioned, everything is pretty cheap here so wouldn't stress too much over prescriptions etc.  Hope that helps