New to Guayaquil

Trying to learn more Spanish, and yet feeling somewhat isolated.  Didn't really want to drive in Guayaquil and do not have a car as yet, either. Don't know if I want a car, or an army tank -  would feel a tad safer in that thing. Only been here 4 weeks today. Was here in August and liked it enough to come back and want to retire here. My apartment is gorgeous with view of the river, near Samborondon.  But I was given a lot of bogus info at the Canadian Embassy in Toronto, and now I find myself struggling with all that Red Tape from both country's governments.  Other than that, I am adjusting and I like it here so far. Used to living in large cities. Met some nice peeps and the landlady is really cool. Will contact a lawyer soon, to get through the paper-maze and all the crap to get the Resident Visa, either that, or go back Up North and try to make sense out of it there. Would love to meet other English speaking individuals with car. Will pay for gas.   The Canuck

Welcome to Ecuador.  If you have not found a good lawyer, let me know.  I can recommend a really good lawyer in Guayaquil that speaks perfect English and is very familiar with the immigration laws.  His prices are reasonable and he is a really nice guy.
As for buying a car, I suggest you avoid it.  Taxi's in Guayaquil are plentiful and cheap.  Make sure you negotiate the price before you get in the cab.  If you are adventurous, you can use the MetroVia.  My wife hates it but I like it.  Each trip is 25 cents or you can get a metro card if you are a senior and pay 12 cents a ride.
My wife and I will be returning to Guayaquil at the end of August.  We have an apartment in the South Central part of the city.  We would be glad to speak English with you or Spanish if you want more practice.  My wife was born and raised in Guayaquil so she is an expert on the city and the country.
We do own a pick up truck that we keep at our apartment but I avoided buying it for years. It was not until we decided to purchase a property in Playas that I gave in and bought a vehicle.  We keep it in a garage in our building.  Not good to own a car and have to keep it in the street in Guayaquil.
Enjoy the city.  Hopefully, we can connect when we get there at the end of the August.