Family of 5 considering 2 yr job in China - lots of questions

My family and I are considering a job opportunity that would move us to China (Shanghai or Beijing) for 2 years.  We have lots of questions and appreciate any help you can provide...  A little about us...  English speaking only, never lived outside the US but I've lived in a few different states - my wife not so much.  We have three children, the oldest will be a junior next year and two others in elementary.  As this is a corporate move your guidance on what to expect in terms of costs are appreciated but not a primary decision making factor.  Please do not take offense to any questions we may ask, we are working off little knowledge and just want to understand what we may be signing up for.  Thanks in advance for your help!

- Of the two cities our belief is that Shanghai would be better for a family with better air quality and schools.  Is this accurate?
- One of my children plays club volleyball.  One takes gymnastics & competitive cheerleading.  One is on the swim team.  Are there training facilities & leagues that they will be able to join?  We do not want to limit their progress in sports.
- How do basic things like TV & the internet work?  I'm guessing I wont switch on NBC to watch the latest show at 8pm but is it possible to get current TV programming?  Most importantly how about watching NFL games :)  Can expat's get unfiltered internet access or what should we expect (important for keeping in touch with those back home).
- What neighborhoods would you recommend considering for corporate transfers?  Are some more American/European than others?
- I'm very worried about the pollution.  My assumption is you can get air filtration for the house and wear masks outdoors.  Anything else we should know on this subject?  Will my children ever be able to play outside for some fresh air?
- What are the local grocery stores like?  Able to get quality fresh food/meat or is it mostly processed?
- What are your top 3 delights since living in China?
- What are the 3 negative things you wish you knew before moving?
- Are household goods affordable?  I was excited to buy save on goods Made in China but heard most goods get shipped out so it costs more to buy them and bring them back into the country.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for generously sharing your knowledge!

i think you can get everything you want in Shamghai or Beijing except very fresh air. i must     say it wouldn't be as good as that of your country. of couse, the air of shanghai is better than that of Beijing. but living in shanghai is more expensive. oh, i think you mustn't consider too much about living expenses, right? you are already a  rich man.

Pride7 wrote:

My family and I are considering a job opportunity that would move us to China (Shanghai or Beijing) for 2 years.  We have lots of questions and appreciate any help you can provide...  A little about us...  English speaking only, never lived outside the US but I've lived in a few different states - my wife not so much.  We have three children, the oldest will be a junior next year and two others in elementary.  As this is a corporate move your guidance on what to expect in terms of costs are appreciated but not a primary decision making factor.  Please do not take offense to any questions we may ask, we are working off little knowledge and just want to understand what we may be signing up for.  Thanks in advance for your help!

- Of the two cities our belief is that Shanghai would be better for a family with better air quality and schools.  Is this accurate?
- One of my children plays club volleyball.  One takes gymnastics & competitive cheerleading.  One is on the swim team.  Are there training facilities & leagues that they will be able to join?  We do not want to limit their progress in sports.
- How do basic things like TV & the internet work?  I'm guessing I wont switch on NBC to watch the latest show at 8pm but is it possible to get current TV programming?  Most importantly how about watching NFL games :)  Can expat's get unfiltered internet access or what should we expect (important for keeping in touch with those back home).
- What neighborhoods would you recommend considering for corporate transfers?  Are some more American/European than others?
- I'm very worried about the pollution.  My assumption is you can get air filtration for the house and wear masks outdoors.  Anything else we should know on this subject?  Will my children ever be able to play outside for some fresh air?
- What are the local grocery stores like?  Able to get quality fresh food/meat or is it mostly processed?
- What are your top 3 delights since living in China?
- What are the 3 negative things you wish you knew before moving?
- Are household goods affordable?  I was excited to buy save on goods Made in China but heard most goods get shipped out so it costs more to buy them and bring them back into the country.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for generously sharing your knowledge!

Well first of all welcome to China.

If you want clean air in a big city then try Shenzhen! It's the Garden City of China. Not to mention it's literally walking distance to Hong Kong and all the western crap you might miss from the States.

But if you got your heart set on Shanghai… so be it.

Sports are not a problem for the kids. Fresh air… try the suburbs. Yeah Shanghai's air is better than Beijing's. No need to get extreme and paranoid about running around with air masks and filters… lol!

Education is going to be the biggest expense… especially international schools that teach American/ British English. Google them and do your homework there too!

Western "style" grocery stores are all over the country in the major cities (tier 1 cities). Fresh meat and produce is everywhere actually.

FYI, Ikea is very popular. 7-11 are everywhere (can even get a hotdog).

The thing that I always have trouble finding is deodorant lol! But there are Walmarts,, Sam's Club, Metro, and loads of other American and European (Carrefour) department stores where you can find it on a semi regular basis. 

Bring your favorite over the counter medications i.e.; Tylenol etc. though most of it is available in various degrees throughout any major city, best to have a supply until you get to know the lay of the land.

Tell the wife that make-up is expensive as most Chinese women are naturally beautiful (IMHO) and wear very little, so prices are high as it is still considered an unnecessary commodity. So the cheap make-up found at Walgreens is sold in high-end cosmetic stores.

All female monthly needs are readily available in any store.

Toilet paper and tissue is everywhere and usually sold in bulk.

FYI: Toilet paper is not always available in public toilets. You'll find "pocket tissues" sold along side toilet paper and paper towels. I advise everyone to have a package with them when heading out for the day!

Starbucks are everywhere and have clean western toilets with paper all the time. Mc.Donalds, KFC usually do NOT have western toilets and rarely have paper (KFC does have western toilets and paper more often than not).

Starbuck/KFC/ Mc. D/ Pizza Hut/ Dunkin Donuts/ Burger King/ etc… Except for a few minor menu differences, it's the same as in America and some cases even better and yes they all have ketchup.

Internet is really cheap at about 800 RMB a year Though considerably slower than anywhere else in the world. When you arrive look into a VPN to gain access to Youtube and Facebook, most blogs, etc. China a  big FireWall protecting itself from western sites… and in the process making China's own "copies" and knockoffs of western sites hugely profitable ;)

(I miss Chairman Mao)

Cable TV is a  breeze to get through China Telecom and yes you can just about get every goddarn channel in the world and even boring NFL games too. At worse, you'll find that most western pubs and bars have satellite tv and show all the important sports events from around the world. The NBA is huge in China and so is football (Soccer for you and I).

Mobile phones companies and everywhere as there is no self-respecting Chinese man woman or child without a mobile phone attached to them. Get apps like Wechat, QQ International, Weibo, and so on to get and stay in touch with your new found friends within China. I currently have friends and family in the States and canada using Wechat so we can communicate on the fly.

Yes Skype is available and does not require a VPN to use.

Just about everything and anything we have in the States comes from China… so yeah it's available here in China as well. However the brands may not be exactly the same name it is more or less the same product.

I don't have any top 3 or bottom 3 anything concerning China. China as I like to "sum up" when comparing it to any other country I've lived in is this… "It's the same difference."

When China "opened" it's doors to the world it started with Shenzhen because of it's proximity to the closest western "country" and that was Hong Kong. Hence China was and is heavily influenced by European life. Yes American brands are everywhere and more and more American ideas, living standards and what have not are influencing China now.

Buy a few travel books and materials such as "living in China" to get a feel of what to expect and what to look forward to.

China is an exciting vibrant country, with one foot dragging behind in the past and the other eagerly plowing forward into the future. It's what the US was 100 years ago but with an iPhone in one hand and chicken claws in the other.

Keep an open mind. Never forget to smile and be ready to be charmed by the good the bad and the ugly!

Last thing… people will love the kids and don't fret if locals want to have their picture taken with them or you.

Kris in Shenzhen