Moving to Riyadh...

I am arriving single in Riyadh and will have a full weekend for myself to get the hang of the things. I will obviously shop for my mobile & internet connection and try to convert my USD into SAR at the airport (I Hope it is available at airport) and also will keep blogging my experience in the country. Accommodation is sorted for now by my employer and will have a full weekend for myself to help settle in before i start my work

Just wanted to say "Hi" to ya' all and get myself out of the "Lurkers" group :) and also think back and share on what you did on your first weekend in Riyadh

:whistle:

Welcome and Best Wishes, Hope you will have a good time:)

Thanks sth7876 for the welcome & wishes !!

Guess none take hints !! lol. So my specific questions are :-

1. Can i get the USD exchanged to SAR at Riyadh airport & Is it good rates ?
2. Is there STC shop at airport from which i can take prepaid SIM ?

Yes there is an STC shop ....after you come out post collecting ur baggage turn left and 10-15 steps down the aisle  you would see the shop...there is a money exchange on the departure terminal but not noticed any on arrivals...but I am sure if you walk around in the aisle i mentioned... you should get someone... last resort just use ur debit card on any ATM's .. ....

So finally landed in Riyadh and settling in. Day 1 today !!

Here is the experience so far...

Was early to move out from the plane and got 5th place in the immigration queue (3rd queue from left). Had a quick look at the queues around and got the impression that Left 2 queues were for females, next 3 were for other non-saudi nationals and rest of the lanes were empty. I did not feel any discrimination so to speak...

Quick stamping in 1 min.. came out to collect my luggage. Waited for 15 mins but cant find my luggage on the conveyor belt. Finally Airlines person comes to inform that the luggage is mistakenly put on another conveyor belt ! Got my luggage sorted in next few mins.

Came out of the customs - no hassles here

Got local cash out of the bank ATM (Al-Rajhi bank ATM) and was looking for London taxi booking counter. Counter was empty and checked out with one person standing near it. Tells me with a friendly smile that he is going to same area and if i would like to join. Went to parking area with him and we were on highway in a minute. Person tells me that he is a driver and asks for 50 SAR for the drop :)) (Tells me that london taxi would have taken 80 SAR)

Agreed and got the drop and now at hotel (near Mariott hotel on kind ). So far so good...

Anyone around to meet and catch up is welcome. PM me and we can take it from there

BTW, did not see any traffic problems in one hour drive from airport to "place of stay" and this was at 10:30 pm at night for an hour drive...am i missing something ?

Hi candyman3k
Welcome to Riyadh.

Your experience so far looks good.

Sure there is much traffic in this city but not all the time and depends on the destination.
In your case you were heading from north to south while the majority were heading oppositely yesterday as the weekend started and people are going out to malls...etc.

The traffic peak occurs during the working days in the morning . And in the noon time (1pm-2:30 pm) as students and government personnel go home. Then at early evening at 5:30 to 6:30 as privet personnel leave to home.

Best luck in your new adventure.

Thanks Lion. Useful inputs to put views on traffic in perspective. Day after the work begins and i will get a feel of the traffic problems (fingers crossed) :unsure

Hey, good to see you settling down fine.
Where's your office, did you get a good place to stay?

Are you still in Riyadh? I'm headed that way (Fall 2105) and could use some advice.