Tchau Brazil!

I never thought in a million years I would write a message like this but I am so happy to say I am leaving Brazil forever.

That said, I need to say a couple things to a few people.... (actually one person)

James without your help I would be in a Brazilian prison, thank you so much for all you have done for me. You have absolutely no idea how much you have impacted my life. You can always count me forever through thick and thin to help you in any way I can.

What is the reason that you are leaving the Brazil, if you do not mind can you explain me.
Thanks and regards

My dear friend Matt,

I will be extremely sad to see you leave Brazil, but I know that you've got to do what is right for you. Living in Brazil is definitely NOT for everybody. The difference between this country and North America is like night and day, with Brazil being night of course. I know that you've tried your hardest to adjust to living here, but there have been a lot of factors working against you. First the isolation of Manaus, despite the city's size it is like a whole different country, cut off from the rest of Brazil. The suffocating bureaucracy sure hasn't helped either. Getting taken advantage of by everybody around you is something that all us gringos find hard to deal with too.

No matter where you go or what you do please know that you've probably impacted my life every bit as much as you say that I've done yours too. I know that you've taught me a lot about myself and shown me that I am a much different person than I thought I every could be, because I've begun to see myself through your eyes.

OMG!!! I just got a scary thought, now I've got 3 sons with the name Matt/Matheus....LOL Who'd have ever figured that would happen?

Anyway, I know that we'll keep in close touch no matter how many miles separate us. Just goes to show you that sometimes friends can be closer than family. I'm very lucky to have had this chance to get to know you and our friendship will remain strong, that you can count on.

I know you've worried a lot about my health situation, but please believe me when I tell you that I'll be just fine. Other than my vision there's a lot left in this old bird yet. My health otherwise is just great and if I get lucky enough to find a good dog to train as a guide-dog then even when my eyesight goes even more I will be just fine.

You know that you can always count on me to be here for you too. I wish you all the best, great success and much happiness in the New Year and always.

Your friend,
James

Great luck to you on your move back to the United States.

skhalid2004 wrote:

What is the reason that you are leaving the Brazil, if you do not mind can you explain me.
Thanks and regards

I am leaving (left) for several reasons but mainly because I simply do not like the Brazilian government, its bureaucracy, its oppression of the people, its corruption and its just simply - its existence.

Another major reason why I left is the acceptance of mediocrity by its own people.

Regardless, Brazil is a special place for me, I did like Brazil for other reasons but not enough to justify my health at the same time. The people (not the government) are friendly, open accepting and hospitable.

wjwoodward wrote:

My dear friend Matt,

I will be extremely sad to see you leave Brazil, but I know that you've got to do what is right for you. Living in Brazil is definitely NOT for everybody. The difference between this country and North America is like night and day, with Brazil being night of course. I know that you've tried your hardest to adjust to living here, but there have been a lot of factors working against you. First the isolation of Manaus, despite the city's size it is like a whole different country, cut off from the rest of Brazil. The suffocating bureaucracy sure hasn't helped either. Getting taken advantage of by everybody around you is something that all us gringos find hard to deal with too.

No matter where you go or what you do please know that you've probably impacted my life every bit as much as you say that I've done yours too. I know that you've taught me a lot about myself and shown me that I am a much different person than I thought I every could be, because I've begun to see myself through your eyes.

OMG!!! I just got a scary thought, now I've got 3 sons with the name Matt/Matheus....LOL Who'd have ever figured that would happen?

Anyway, I know that we'll keep in close touch no matter how many miles separate us. Just goes to show you that sometimes friends can be closer than family. I'm very lucky to have had this chance to get to know you and our friendship will remain strong, that you can count on.

I know you've worried a lot about my health situation, but please believe me when I tell you that I'll be just fine. Other than my vision there's a lot left in this old bird yet. My health otherwise is just great and if I get lucky enough to find a good dog to train as a guide-dog then even when my eyesight goes even more I will be just fine.

You know that you can always count on me to be here for you too. I wish you all the best, great success and much happiness in the New Year and always.

Your friend,
James

James, thanks again for everything. You are definitely right - living in Brazil is not for everyone. I actually shared your story with my dad last night and the article about the harboring of war criminals etc. How you have been waiting for years and these people commit an atrocity and they are legal within months.

I know we will continue to stay in touch. :D

usmc_mv wrote:

[\quote]
I simply do not like the Brazilian government, its bureaucracy, its oppression of the people, its corruption and its just simply - its existence.

usmc_mv wrote:

[\quote]
The people (not the government) are friendly, open accepting and hospitable.

This is very true as the Brazilian federal buracracy is impossible to work around. As an American I have never had to deal with hate just for being an American. Then I had to talk to the Brazilian Federal Government agencies at the registries, and work ministries. Most of the workers were polite, professional, and relaxed. A sizeable minority were hateful, inefficient, and condesending. I have no respect for an agency were I am yelled at with such anger just for being American, and have been very upset that Brazilians themselves put up with so much disrespect.
I have also read the horror stories about going to the federal police in Brazil, and have been lucky enough to live in São Paulo as the federal police in this city are extremely professional, and polite. For this reason I believe Brazil can change, that it can get better, and all of us only have to work harder to care more about improving Brazil.

usmc_mv wrote:

[\quote]
Another major reason why I left is the acceptance of mediocrity by its own people.

I believe something as simple as throwing trash in a can instead of on the ground or not spitting on the floor in the metro cars can improve this acceptance of mediocrity. I have seen other Brazilians have this lack of respect for their country, and it really reminds me of Mexican immigrants in Southern California; I believe it is similar in that when the people don't feel they have a voice in their country then they don't treat their streets or neighbors as their own home.

I really do hope Brazil can change its attitude. Unfortunately, I choose to watch it from a distance.

I was never disrespected because I was "American." In fact I was always treated with bureaucratic respect - if there is such a thing. Disrespect was not any of my reasons for leaving. In fact I had two encounters with the Military Police where they were more disrespectful to their own people (Brazilians) than me. I have pictures with several of them as well. Does that mean I like the PM? Nope.

Mediocrity is something that can be changed in Brazil but I am afraid not in our life time, or without a couple coup d'etats and a correct balance of governmental power over the people.

Unfortunately, in order to change the acceptance of mediocrity, inefficiency and corruption in government in this country one must first have a fundamental cultural change take place in the Brazilian population. The current problems are a result of over 550 years of history, colonial rule by Portugal, the Empire, early independence and the Military Dictatorship. All of these combined have created a cultural resistance to complaining or protesting in any organized way and just a general acceptance of the status quo.

The attitude of the average Brazilian has to shift away from the present, "it's always been like this, it's always going to be like this, I'm just one small voice in the wilderness so it doesn't do any good to complain. I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut and accept it."

Only when all Brazilians get fed up and just can't take any more of being taxed to the limit, getting absolutely nothing in return for those taxes but suffering and learn that "the squeaky wheel really does get the grease" will things ever begin to change. Frankly I don't see that mass change happening anytime soon.

We just went through a wave of mass protests sparked by a 20 cent increase in the bus fare in São Paulo. For a few weeks as the people loved to point out "The Giant Woke Up", unfortunately Brazilians don't even know how to protest properly. The serious protesters, who really spoke out for change, allowed vandals and thieves to infiltrate their groups, use the protests to destroy public and private property, loot and steal whatever they could. This destroyed any and all credibility that the legitimate protesters ever had and unfortunately as it now appears the GIANT has not only gone back to sleep, but gone into a deep coma.

Everything that is being done by government right now is just pre-election posturing. Everything is just for show and they really have no interest in ending corruption or debureaucratizing the political machine since it is the breeding ground for the graft and bribery that they love so much. Once the elections next year are over, regardless of who is elected, it is going to go back to being "business as usual" and the opportunities for robbing the public will continue unabated. If you think projects for the World Cup have been overbilled, just wait until you see the bills that will come in for the 2016 Olympics!

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

First of all, excuse us for do not be a good place to you.
Really, itŽs not easy to live in Brazil even for Brazilians. I know, but is my country and I would like do not agree with you, but I can not.
In my heart I believe that one day it will be different, but, like you can see IŽm looking for a better life to my childrens. ItŽs very difficult to separate me from my blood but the better for them is to live in a better country.
Who knows, they will return later and contribute to build a better nation with the real values that will learn in a civilized people.
I am trying, like a professor, speaking to my students that each one must do the right things and, some day, the good persons will be the majority.
Again, in name of the good people in Brasil, I apologise my new friend.

Adauyou,

I know that I am going to say exactly the same words that Matt is going to tell you...

There is absolutely no need for you, or any other Brazilian to apologize for anything, because we love the Brazilian people. They are wonderful, warm, accepting and incredibly hospitable people.

The country has not disappointed us in any way, it is huge, and filled with history, culture, flora and fauna, richness and breathtaking scenery wherever you go. It never ceases to surprise anyone that comes here.

Unfortunately, what drives most of the foreigners away from this great nation is a government (not just the present one, but all of the past ones too) that doesn't give a damn about the Brazilian people or making their lives any better, but rather a government that is corrupt and bent on robbing the average Brazilian of every centavo they possibly can.  A government that complicates the lives of everyone, Brazilian and foreigner alike with suffocating bureaucracy that in most cases defies common sense - that "that's just the way it is" attitude that prevails.

I speak out against these, I fight back where most other foreigners can't. I don't let it beat me down. Not everybody however can do that and life here just becomes more than they can handle and they go back home or search for their future in other countries.

I'm here for the long-haul, and for my Brazilian son I will continue to fight for a more just nation where Brazilians have more rights, than just the right to be taxed, taxed and taxed some more. I will fight for a Brazil that doesn't have such social and economic inequality a few obscenely rich people and so very many living in abject poverty. I will continue to speak out for a complete overhall of Brazilian laws and the judiciary and for a Brazil where the term "Public Security" has a meaning rather than just being part of a title of another government agency that does nothing.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

This trip to Brazil has been difficult for me too. I actually got my CPF this time but I can't open a bank account (even with HSBC or Santander - who I already have UK accounts with).
Everything here seems to be set up to be as time consuming as possible, which should be relaxing but is driving me bonkers.

The public acceptance of this is baffling.

Public acceptance of the insane bureaucracy is not the least bit surprising, it has existed since the imperial period some 500 years ago. They've had plenty of time to get used to it and understand clearly that NOTHING will ever change.

:)

usmc_mv wrote:
skhalid2004 wrote:

Thanks and regards

I am leaving (left) for several reasons but mainly because I simply do not like the Brazilian government, its bureaucracy, its oppression of the people, its corruption and its just simply - its existence.

Regardless, Brazil is a special place for me, I did like Brazil for other reasons but not enough to justify my health at the same time. The people (not the government) are friendly, open accepting and hospitable.

I do agree with you my friend and thanks for answer, good luck and have blessed life, God bless you and protect you and keep you always safe.
regards