Papers I need to establish myself in Cuenca

Hi everyone, my name is Eric Beeldsnijder (male) and I am from Curacao. My profession: translator and I studied management as well, in Europe. I worked in statistics for over 30 years in The Netherlands and Bonaire.
I wish to live in Cuenca, Ecuador but a lawyer  from Quito gave me wrong information and I ended with the wrong papers. Can anyone tell me which papers I need to establish myself in Cuenca ? I am a photographer too,  but don't have to work in Cuenca. My email address:  [email protected]  because at the moment I work with a newspaper. Please email me with the correct info in order to fill out the documents and soon I will be in Cuenca. Pleasant holidays. Thanks for your help. Regards. Eric Beeldsnijder

henrybear wrote:

I wish to live in Cuenca, Ecuador but a lawyer  from Quito gave me wrong information and I ended with the wrong papers. Can anyone tell me which papers I need to establish myself in Cuenca ?

Have you looked at any of the threads on here about visas?  Please do your research before you start asking questions.  This is the wrong thread, Netflix and Roku will not help you.
GOYA

Hello everyone,
I am completely new here and don't know yet where to  post anything. Please don't get me wrong, but I just wanted to get the attention from everywhere in order to get help fixing my documents. Now that I got the attention I read most of the messages and learning all that I read, you put down. You people help each other with whatever you comment and post, that's great and I like that. After some time I will be one of you too and help  others with advice. I already have some ideas with what I could help, because of my work experience. But that would be after a few months living  in Cuenca and having my papers !!  I thank you all for what you put down as advice to others. Kindest regards.  Eric Beeldsnijder

Hi Eric,

I've created a new thread from your messages.

All my wishes of success,

Julien

Eric:

Timo has posted on a couple other threads that he has a short document that summarizes what is needed.

OK my e mail is tfpob1[at]earthlink.net
send me a reply and I'll attach the file back to you ending the saga

I haven't seen the document, but I'm sure it will at least get you started. Good luck.

Bob

-Birth certificate where it shows parents full names, parents nacionality, of course your name, place of birth, etc
-Police background record. If you can get from the federal police, the better. The law dont specifes which police record, so sometimes they ask for a federal one and sometimes they ask for a state police. When you get to Ecuador, you will find that many times some functionaries ask something that other does not ask.
-A doc that shows your marital status. Maybe your consulate/embassy can help you on it. American consulate does.
-A doc that proof your income. Or, for investor visa by buying some real estate or having a bank account for 25k minimum.

The law does state which police!! It says "a police report for 5 years from where you "lived"! lived meaning state. A state police report is what they are looking for. Many gringos wanting to go the extra mile got FBI reports. They were first confusing but now will be excepted. FYI the web site www.mmrree.gob.ec has all of the information from the Ecuador Govt for visa procurement of all types.

FYI, FBI report is only asked for in Cuenca. If you process your Visa in Quito are check from the State Police does suffice, I just did one.

GMC(SW) wrote:

FYI, FBI report is only asked for in Cuenca. If you process your Visa in Quito are check from the State Police does suffice, I just did one.

Oh poop... so my visa and Cedula that I got using my state report in Cuenca are invalid? Thanks for playing, but the only real "truth" is what is happening when you are here... es lo que es.

Cuenca boy wrote:

The law does state which police!! It says "a police report for 5 years from where you "lived"! lived meaning state. A state police report is what they are looking for. Many gringos wanting to go the extra mile got FBI reports. They were first confusing but now will be excepted. FYI the web site www.mmrree.gob.ec has all of the information from the Ecuador Govt for visa procurement of all types.

www.mmrree.gob.ec, your link returns:
Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)

As previously stated, the rules state one thing, the person you deal with may or may not accept your paperwork. When my wife and I spoke to the representative on Saturday, she said "The FBI report for 5 years is all that will be accepted in Cuenca". Upon showing her a State Police report with identical information, she said "No".
If you got lucky, good for you, that is not to say the next person will be so lucky. Then I guess "You" can explain to them that they need to go home and get the right paperwork...
My intent is not to muddy the already murky waters of the immigration system, I only aim to present a clear picture of what is current as of right now. Why confuse people with maybe and might happen situations?
As an American myself, I understand your need to contradict for the sake of contradiction

Sorry! They have added /servicios/visas to the www.mmrree.gob.ec! So now www.mmrree.gob.ec/servicios/visas

Gee it's unfortunate but, when you go to either of those sites you get "Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)" as posted thanks for playing. It is very fortunate that you and rsymington are here.. I guess no other posts offering information are necessary as you both obviously have it all figured out, just as your typical 18 year old knows it ALL.. :thanks::thanks::thanks:

The requirements can vary form place to place and from case to case. Technically they are still accepting state police reports but there are things that trigger them to request an FBI report. They have very broad powers to request almost anything they want.

The specific requirements for your case will depend on which types of visas you qualify for and which one you opt to go with. There is a lot of good information in this thread and a little bit of misinformation or at the very least old information that is no longer true. All of this put together does not give you a complete answer.

[moderated: please register in the business directory]

Saludos,

Greg Medeiros

Check the official site: http://cancilleria.gob.ec/immigrant-visas/?lang=en

nuts, this link doesn't open for me in California
www.mmrree.gob.ec/servicios/visas

Do not feel too bad.  It will not open for me in Canada, either

Pensioner's Visa Requirements:
Note: The Ecuadorian Consulates are not the most helpful sources of information related to securing a permanent visa. Some are now walk-in or walk-in and make a reservation for another day only. Some don't even answer the phone.

I have attached the requirements for the retirement visa. Juan Flores helped with our visas and we put this together based on what is listed at the official site:

http://cancilleria.gob.ec/requirements- … n/?lang=en
Important Note: Required Documents: State policies vary. When you request any document, notify them of the need to get it apostilled and they will determine if a notary is required first. States apostille only state issued documents and the federal government apostilles only federal issued documents.
1.        A personal letter in Spanish of one or two sentences requesting a pensioners visa. Must be signed by each person (sample available)
2.        9-I visa application form (should be at the same site /or I can email a copy). Must be filled out in Spanish. We can assist as necessary.
3.        Two passport size color photographs with WHITE background.
Note: #1-3 can be done here in Ecuador                                                                                                                                           
4.        Passports: (3 color copies): Personal Information (pages 2 & 3) + Visa Stamps (last entries) and notarized in Ecuador (recommend no less than 1 year remaining on passport).    May want to get a new passport.                                                                                                                         
Note: #4 must be done in Ecuador.                                                                                                                                     
5.   Marriage Certificate (3 certified copies) (Notify the issuer the forms must be apostilled by the state). (See Important Note above). The documents must be then apostilled (verified) by: state of issue governing authority. Please advise if you are single and divorced.
6.   Birth Certificates (3 certified copies) (Notify the issuer the forms must be apostilled by the state). (See Important Note above ). The documents must be then apostilled (verified) by: state of issue governing authority. Required for issuance of Cedula (Ecuador ID).
7.   Official Benefit Letter from ONE of the following:
a.        Social Security Administration with signature (advise issuer of apostille requirement). Have Federal apostille by: Department of State. Have verified by nearest Ecuador Consulate.
b.        Military Pension with signature (advise issuer of apostille requirement). Have Federal apostille by: Department of State. Have verified by nearest Ecuador Consulate.
c.        Private Industry/company pension with signature (advise issuer of apostille requirement). (An apostille may not be possible). Have verified by nearest Ecuador Consulate.                         
8.   Federal (FBI) or State (Police) or local (Police) Criminal Background Check, for: all places of residence for past 5 years (advise issuer of apostille requirement). Must then have state of issue or Federal governing authority apostille OR be certified/legalized (recommended) by nearest Ecuador Consulate (verify with Consulate) Good for 180 days before entry to Ecuador.
Note: We can translate and have translations notarized in Ecuador: #5, #6, #7, and 8.                                                                                                                             
Note: #7 must be reviewed and certified by the nearest Ecuador Consulate. They may review and verify other documents upon request to include #8 (recommended).                                       
Note: #8 Depending on who you request a criminal background check from, you may need to submit copies of your fingerprints to them.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
9.   Migratory Movement Certificate issued in Ecuador.

Have most of you found that you needed 3 certified and appostilled copies of birth certificates and marriage licenses? I've sent for everything but only requested one certified copy.

Mela1 wrote:

Have most of you found that you needed 3 certified and appostilled copies of birth certificates and marriage licenses? I've sent for everything but only requested one certified copy.

I needed one copy of my wife's death certificate (for my cedula, not for my visa), so I would guess you probably need one marriage certificate. I had no need for my birth certificate.

Bob

nice guys
the Spanish translation mentions nothing of a birth certificate save children
go get 'em

wow, talk about expensive at 20 dollars a pop....really? the lawyer I've been in touch with said a birth certificate was note required since you needed on for a passport and nothing about multiple copies
guess we're going for the ride

here's your English Translation from the web

who's trying to make this more complicated?

These folks like cooperative, contributive people...please, make it harder and you can immigrate to the states

1.Application form of visa requirement with original colored photograph, passport size with white background. Form can be found in the web page of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Integration.
◾For the case of visas 9 IV, 9-VI, a written petition must be presented, signed by the business, institution or organization that sponsors addressed to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Integration.
2.Original passport with a validity time of at least six months and migration´s seal of the last entry to Ecuador.
3.Original and 2 legible copies of the paper of identifications of the passport and migration´s seal of the last entry to Ecuador.
4.Updated criminal record certificate issued in the foreign country or the country where he has lived for the last five years, duly apostilled or legalized at the Consulate of Ecuador in the country granting, valid up to 180 days to the date of presentation.
5.Updated Migratory Movement Certificate issued by the Ecuadorian Immigration Authorities valid up to 30 days to the date of presentation.
6.In the case of a refugee, must submit a notarized copy of refugee card issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Integration to justify his stay in the country regularly.
7.Document issued by the institution that pays or provides retirement, pension or permanent income coming from abroad, duly certified at the country of origin or authenticated by the Consul of Ecuador in the place of origin. The amount should be not less than $ 800 (eight hundred dollars) of the United States of America as monthly rent to the holder, and will increase by $ 100 (one hundred dollars) of U.S. extra per month for each family member that is a dependant of the immigrant
8.Certificate issued and authenticated by the Ecuadorian Foreign Service Officer in the country of origin, determining the perception of such retirement, pension or permanent income.

Visa Validity: Indefinite
Entries: Multiple
Fees:
Visa application: $ 30
Visa: $ 320

Important. The process is personal

Considering that they say they want us to move there with our money, they sure do make it difficult.  It is is even more complicated for Canadians as we do not have an apostile agreement with Ecuador.  I think I will come back on my 3 month passport, go for the 6 month extension and go to another country for 3 months.  Before all of you jump on me, I went to immigration with an American and saw him get the 6 month extension for $237, so please do not say it is impossible

sorry to hear that...but your apostille agreement is with the Hague, not Ecuador.
Really, Birtain and it's colonies not part of that?
That is frustrating but I've read several blogs from Canadians that are there. Be positive and keep looking! Many like that Maite Duran as a facilitator!

Do not know about Britain but Canada has not been a colony for many years and we did not sign the apostile agreement, so we need more papers.  You are right that there are many Canadians there and I talked to all that I could but they had either been there for years or had lawyers do all the work and were really no help at all.  I know they meant well but not really useful.  Not all of us can afford a bunch of lawyers and needing to fly back to Canada because we missed one piece of paper.

The birth certificate preferably showing parents birth country is specifically required for the Cedula not the permanent visa. If you are interested in a facilitator to assist you with the process, let me know. Juan's fees include translations and notaries.

never a dull moment

no controversy here

Helps to keep us young at heart and hopefully slow our progress into senility

I've heard many work with the consulate, maybe that helps
sorry, still know it at british Colombia with queen E on the money. surprised about not being part of the Hague, though.
paperwork bogs things up

I'm going senile just watching the blogs and gathering papers. Can we form a club when you're down? I think you just have to present at the ministerio and say "I like llamas."
I'm confident good nature might prevail

wonder if this helps
Canada didn't sign Hague convention. Instead Canada requires and is required to provide a Certificate of Authentication or Form 10 - International Certificate of Identity which is almost similar like apostille. It is this Certificate of Authentication issued by canadian authorities which is same as apostille. It should cost CAD 12 per certificate.
I saw a chap that went to the consulate in Quebec and got their OK. I think the caveat is "legalized" by consulate
I'd do it, exept Los Angeles is 8 hours away and limited hours

frugalpirate wrote:

I think the caveat is "legalized" by consulate
I'd do it, exept Los Angeles is 8 hours away and limited hours

Los Angeles is 8 hours away? Pffft, easy two day drive from here and I don't have a car. And the consulates don't seem to respond to phone calls or emails either.

Most of the remaining Ecuadoran offices are on the southern border of the US or back east.

I've been going round and round in my head with this for over a year, and still haven't really figured out how to satisfy all the Ecuadoran requirements within the limited time frame (90 days validity for the police report) and get it all done, liquidate everything in the US, apply in Ecuador, and not have to come back for anything.

- Once everything is liquidated, if we had to return to the US for some documents we wouldn't have anywhere to stay. If the pensioner's visa were denied in Ecuador for any reason and we had to come back, we'd be homeless, jobless, and totally SOL.

Although I am absolutely determined to pull this move off, right now I just don't know make all the parts come together.

don't abandon, smoking kitty
it's just paper!

The number of copies was a recommendation by Juan who assisted us.

wow, assuring comments from puff kity
live to love?
ha ha

This is turning into a very informative blog.  My thanks to all.  I discovered that the www.mmrree.gob thingy is actually part of the Email address for the Ecuador embassy and also the Ecuador consulate and not a web site.

henrybear wrote:

Hello everyone,
I am completely new here and don't know yet where to  post anything. Please don't get me wrong, but I just wanted to get the attention from everywhere in order to get help fixing my documents. Now that I got the attention I read most of the messages and learning all that I read, you put down. You people help each other with whatever you comment and post, that's great and I like that. After some time I will be one of you too and help  others with advice. I already have some ideas with what I could help, because of my work experience. But that would be after a few months living  in Cuenca and having my papers !!  I thank you all for what you put down as advice to others. Kindest regards.  Eric Beeldsnijder

Hi,

Did you get your papers done? Are you already here in Ecuador? If not pls let us know I foun some info that could help you.

Has anybody heard that if you leave Ecuador, cross a border and return that you will get an automatic extension or renewal on your passport visa