Nationality Brazilian

Hi,
Once married to a Brazilian
How long it takes to apply for Brazilian citizenship

It really all depends on how you apply for a permanent visa after getting married. Marriage to a Brazilian is not an automatic right to citizenship and/or visa.

Anywhere from 1-5+ years. From my understanding the visa process is the longest and most painful part.

After 3 years of marriage
is that I have the right to request a Brazilian nationality

The rule for those who are married to a Brazilian citizen or who have a Brazilian born child that they MAY be granted citizenship after 1 year holding a Permanent Visa. The operative word is MAY because it is not automatic and not guaranteed. You must meet all of the qualifications on top of the time issue.

So it may take you 2 or more years to get your Permanent Visa, then once you have that at the minimum 1 more year - so really you're looking at 3 years at the very least in order to qualify for citizenship.

One of the most difficult parts of the process is having the ability to speak Portuguese and pass the language test so be aware of that.

Check out the Ministry of Justice website for the requirements for naturalization:

http://portal.mj.gov.br/main.asp?View=% … 0F4CB26%7D

But if I marry a Brazilian
How long will it t time for me to get my permanent visa??

I answered this in my previous post. A minimum of a year and possibly more than 4 years if you apply in Brazil. Some people have been waiting 5+ years depending on where they live.

If you apply at the Brazilian embassy/consulate where you live it takes 3-6 months. But you can't re-enter Brazil until you have it.

The bottom line is if you are coming here thinking you will be married the same day, and a year later you can become a citizen you are wrong and probably shouldn't come. The entire process is emotional, physically and mentally exhausting. You really should search this forum on the process and the nightmares that may come with it. You probably will change your mind and if you don't, then expect a long road ahead.

Getting married is a 30-90 day process depending on what documents you need - nothing is consistent here.

Matt-

The way things are in this country I can't imagine why anybody would want to naturalize as a citizen.

Citizenship doesn't offer any advantages (other than being able to apply for public service jobs) that you don't already have as a permanent resident. It does, however, carry many obligations that are extremely weighty.

I wouldn't naturalize as a Brazilian citizen if they paid me to!!!!