Moving to Jamaica in April 2014

Hello,

I'm a new member to the Expat.com and looking for information on jobs, ways I can prepare myself for my move to Jamaica. My fiance lives in Portland and works in Trewlany within the hotel industry. As we would like to find an apartment within the Montego Bay or Ocho Rios area, but unsure of the cost of living in that area. 

I hope that I can get as many tips on how I can find work, the best way to get my stuff shipped over and the process/wait time for a work permit. From other blog sites, it seems that most people have moved over to retire so haven't received much details on how to find work to survive in JA.

Not sure if I should be looking to take a course or skill to allow myself a chance to work in JA as well, as I know most companies will probably need a reason to validate my experience for the job over any locals applying.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give.

Hi, I am planning to move over to Jamaica June 2015. Finding a job that will provide a good standard of living is not easy! Luckily for me I have a lot of family and friends in JA who have given me their advice and support. I have decided to retrain and get into the Real estate industry as I have a few friends that own their own agencies out there.
Hospitality and Properties definitely seem like the way forward in JA!
Good luck with your move! :top:

Hi,
Getting employment in Jamaica can be problematic, especially if you need a reasonable income. If you are a Jamaican citizen ok, if not you will need a work permit or a work permit exemption if you are married to a Jamaican. This involves bureaucracy that can make you weep with the infuriating slowness but you will get there in the end. The best paid jobs are in the area of IT, especially in writing and testing programs. From what I understand there are a lot of people who have trained as teachers who cannot get employment so you have to have a skill that is very marketable. Best of Luck.

John

Thank you Alexia and appreciate your response! From what I've been hearing, hospitality is definitely one of the top areas of work. Like you, I may need to learn another language and skill, web design or an IT course. Seeing jobs in that field posted on job websites.

Good luck to you too!

Thank you John! Agreed, I'm planning on taking an IT course and seeing more job postings for that field.

well if you speak French and other languages that would be a plus and thus the tourism industry would be the safest best. Teaching is also good, otherwise its very difficult to find a job there...speaking more than 1 language gives someone an advantage in finding a job

Thank you Shene, unfortunately, I don't speak another language. Might need to try to learn one to get a better advantage and hope the tourism industry will be good to me.