Bank accounts

Hi, please can anybody advise me about opening a bank account in Bulgaria. I will be living in Stara Zagora and buying property where i will live with my Bulgarian wife and child. I am arriving in early June for a couple of weeks. I travel frequently from England but would like to set up things for my permanent move before the end of the year.

Thanks in advance for any advice

There are several very good banks in Bulgaria. The banking system here is a little less advanced than in the UK, but it is improving fast. Bulbank, Piraeus and iBank have branches in most towns and cities, plus ATM machines in petrol stations, shops and some village shops.

The documents that you need to produce will vary from one bank to another - my partner opened an account at iBank and all they wanted was his passport. They didn't even ask for an address. (Bank statements are kept at the branches until you go to collect them - they don't send them to your home.)

You can have a cashpoint/debit card and you can pay bills by direct debit from your account. Most of the banks also allow you to view your account online, but it is difficult to make transactions over the internet.

Jackie
(moderated)