Questrions on Legal requirement for Residency/ID card

Coming over in March and have a couple of questions re Residency

1. I gather that we need to apply within 90 days, but do we need residency and ID card or have the recent changes amalgamated the 2 ?

2. What is the legal status on still having a UK residence ( daughter will be living in our house ) but we will still be using the address for UK banks etc..  Does this affect Maltese residence?

I would  be "economically self sufficient", living off military pension which will be paid into UK bank.

One last query ( for the moment  :) ) ) Is there a preferred/accepted order in which to apply for  residency/bank account?

Thanks in anticipation

Please and no intended offence, if you are ex military then you must remember the 6 P's?
Prior Planning Prevents, P*ss Poor Performance. :-)

You may wish to read the many posts on here where you will find much information.
Here's one for example regarding applying for e-residence: 
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316705

I would seriously question using your UK address for banks etc.
We have our UK bank account but we are registered with our UK bank as resident on Gozo.
Everything works OK.

If you choose not to inform HMRC, your bank and de-register from the NHS then you could be attracting problems as there may well be some legal implications and consequences.

If you are paid into a UK account how are you going to receive funds here?
We have our MOD & other pensions transferred to Malta bank account which we opened from UK before we left.
As you have 90 days to apply for E-Residence then I would say it becomes obvious to set up bank account first. Otherwise how are you going to draw funds?
Also, don't forget to register for Tax purposes here, though I doubt you will pay any as MOD pension attracts UK tax and is exempt Malta tax. However, you still have to register and complete a tax return here.
Also inform Future Pensions office in UK regarding your future State pension.
Also inform your relevant Council Tax office to inform them of occupancy and responsibility for payment.

Personally, I would not pretend to anyone that I was still a UK resident when I am a resident on Malta.
Be honest, up front and declare all your details. 'Ignorance' is no defence in Law.

PS. If your daughter is paying rent inform HMRC as you may be tax exempt, at least for a part year. You should also inform HMRC as you may be entitled to a rebate due to your move here.

redmik wrote:

Also, don't forget to register for Tax purposes here, though I doubt you will pay any as MOD pension attracts UK tax and is exempt Malta tax.

its not exempt from tax in Malta, but you can offset the tax already paid on it in the UK

PoshPB wrote:

1. I gather that we need to apply within 90 days, but do we need residency and ID card or have the recent changes amalgamated the 2 ?

new eResidency card replaces the previous requirement to have both

Yes Remik another P is POST on interrnet and ask someone who knows ;-)

Have been reading site but with the recent changes was a bit confused about residency.

Wasn't intending to pretend Uk residency just trying to wok out the ' best ' way to do things.
Details re banking also cause for thought. ( may go and see my bank later )

Thanks for the info, think I may need to talk to professionals over here.

some banks will close your accounts if you dont have a UK address

Thanks will check with my bank on their procedures

make sure that  you have all the savings or investment accounts in place before you leave as its difficult to get UK ones once you have.

also dont forget wills one for the uk assets - completed in Uk and another for your assets here, completed here

georgeingozo wrote:
redmik wrote:

Also, don't forget to register for Tax purposes here, though I doubt you will pay any as MOD pension attracts UK tax and is exempt Malta tax.

its not exempt from tax in Malta, but you can offset the tax already paid on it in the UK

OK, my wrong use of words.