Basketball in Vietnam?

Hi gang,

This time back, I would really like to play basketball again.  I have been looking up at the courts and equipments in Vietnam; and things have not been very encouraging:  the courts seem few and far in between, and the equipments appear to be still in the developmental stages.  Did I miss anything?  Are there decent basketball courts (ones with nets and lights) and gears in Vietnam?

What about the players:  do any of you play, Vietnamese or expats?  Is there any team or league there now?

10 years ago, I used to hold my own in competitions, in California.  But now, I just want to get back into shape.  Maybe some fun pick-up games here and there.  So, how about getting a group together, or expanding an existing one, and break a little sweat every now and then?  If anything, we can learn about this pretty cool game from one another.

Let me know.
Howie

Wild_1 wrote:

Hi gang,

This time back, I would really like to play basketball again.  I have been looking up at the courts and equipments in Vietnam; and things have not been very encouraging:  the courts seem few and far in between, and the equipments appear to be still in the developmental stages.  Did I miss anything?  Are there decent basketball courts (ones with nets and lights) and gears in Vietnam?

What about the players:  do any of you play, Vietnamese or expats?  Is there any team or league there now?

10 years ago, I used to hold my own in competitions, in California.  But now, I just want to get back into shape.  Maybe some fun pick-up games here and there.  So, how about getting a group together, or expanding an existing one, and break a little sweat every now and then?  If anything, we can learn about this pretty cool game from one another.

Let me know.
Howie

I'll play you a game of HORSE any day.  My skills have degraded so much since living here.

Where are we going to play, though?  For your information, since the surgery, shots are all I have been working on.   ;)

Wild_1 wrote:

Where are we going to play, though?  For your information, since the surgery, shots are all I have been working on.   ;)

Good question.  Probably find a basket and hollow out the bottom, then stick it on something 10 feet up.  How about atop that golden gate that you just painted?

So far, I have only found 2 courts in Can Tho.  But, the hours are very limited.  I saw some decent indoor courts on youtube, supposedly in Saigon.  But will need to pin down exactly where they are at.

Howie,

You know I'm not going all the way to Can Tho to dunk on you!!!

Danny

Danny,

I already skunked a guy in Tustin a couple of days ago.  You don't really want to be next, do you?   :cool:

I see they play around HCMC, local kids mostly and they don't seem too coordinated with this sport. Maybe we can relive the 80's playing to lesser competition? hahaha

Danny,

Basketball is still a relatively new sport in Vietnam.  The coaches themselves lack the fundamentals of the game...  But, that is why I want to get back to it again.  Aside from getting myself back into shape, I want to help these guys a little.

The younger Vietnamese are very passionate about basketball, but the resources are not there.  I saw them play without shoes, on very poor pavements...

Anyway, you ought to come to Can Tho and help me with this project, man.

Alright..maybe with your leadership, the Vietnamese National Team will win a gold in the 20xx something Olympics.  That will get people fired up about basketball.

How's it going Howie?

My name is David and I think we might share the same passion for basketball. My first couple of times in Vietnam I felt exactly the same way you did and wondered if basketball was available in Vietnam. Eventually, after staying in Saigon, I realized that basketball is a pretty popular sport and that its presence is bigger than my initial thoughts. However, the talent level and fundamentals can definitely use some improvement.

In Can Tho is a different story of course. I know of 3 courts in the Can Tho area with two being out door and one being in-door.

Let's meet and chat and play some ball. During the week I'm in Saigon, but from Friday through Sunday I'm in Can Tho (except for this weekend)..

Noogie,

That will be great!  But I won't get back to Vietnam until after Christmas.  Just PM me your number and I will give you a buzz as soon as I get in..

THD wrote:

maybe with your leadership, the Vietnamese National Team will win a gold in the 20xx something Olympics

Yeah...  If they let us in the Paralympic.  We would be chumpions!   :/

Fellas,

I see that much of Vietnam prefers the international basketball.  How are those balls over there?  Are they any good?  How much do they run anyway?

Hello there, still interested in playing basketball
I'm new here in Can tho, from Philippines, I also wanted to play and get fit again, but its hard for me, my vietnamese friends don't want to play with me, or is it because i only have limited time,

Sure, I and the guys play every Mon, Weds and Fri, 6:00 to whatever, over at the basketball center.  Tell your Vietnamese friend to show you where the city's basketball practice facility is.

Look forward to meeting you there.

this gets me excited,
can i get your no. so i can text you,
is it 6am or 6pm,
i surely want to meet you guys, and play some ball,
thanks in advance

Regards,
Orlando

I will be there playing basketball with you Howie, one day! :P Are you still in Can Tho or head back to California?

On my way back to California, as we speak.  But, should be back to Can Tho in a month.  You will always be welcome then.

Oh yep! :) enjoy the weather in Cali as much as you can! :) Also I remember and miss your stories a lot! Hope to catch up again and we could share more laughs as we did!

hi there guys. Sharil here. A basketballer (self proclaimed). is there anybody out there would like to play a game or two during the weekdays or weekends? I recently transferred here and things are not looking good in term of basketball. would love to make new friends, hangout and basket balling .... haha hit me back!

Yeah man I'm visiting here for a while and if you can get to Phan Dinh Phung in district 3 we can play. Address is:8 Vo Van Tan, D3, Tel: 3829 6312. Hit me back if you are interested.