Landlord Negotiations

I've have not rented a flat here before (and I've not rented one anywhere in a long time). Plus, I am not a very good negotiator really.

I've read some posts on this topic, but I am hoping to get more input and maybe create one thread that pulls it all together.

I know the logical answer is to ask for everything you want and try to get as much of it as possible. But what is really realistic? I mean what's the best way to negotiate price? What things are important to get into lease contracts here? For example, what break clauses are usually possible? What repairs/cleaning can you require in advance?

The definition of fully-furnished seems to vary in my search so far. If something is fully furnished and it is missing something you would like, how far can you push landlords? And where does the line get drawn? I could see not being happy with missing or inadequate items, but technically the minimum might be there. Is there some sort of standard that should be included?

And what about heaters? The flats don't have heat and I can tell from experience in my temporary accommodation that they can get quite cold this time of year. Are space heaters something landlords should be providing or is this going too far?

Thanks.

Great idea to have it all in one place!  Remember though we are in Bahrain and the usual rules that we would expect in our rental homes in our home countries dont apply (as learned through bitter experience and that of friends).

As far as the initial price is concerned - just negotiate, negotiate.  If you can find somewhere without using an Agent you may be in a stronger position as the Agent will take at least the first months rent as their fee.  If they wont budge on price, try and get municipality tax, electricity, internet and OSN (tv) included.

When you decided on a property look around and decide what needs doing and tell the Landlord that's what you want before you move in.  At the very least everything should be working and it should be clean.  You may be able to ask for redecoration as well.

I cant help with fully furnished as have never rented one.

You will also need to negotiate the term of the lease.  Some you can get for 6 months, but the majority tend to be 12 months.  You need to make sure the Diplomatic Clause is included so that if your job terminates or the country falls apart and you have to leave, you are not left with a lease to pay when you are not here.

I have friends who left their apartment because of its appalling maintenance before the end of their term and they are now being chased through the courts (with a travel ban) for the remainder of the rental monies - whilst in the UK we would be able to break our contract for this purpose it is certainly not so easy here and you never know who the ultimate property owner is!!!!  My advice is be careful of what you rent, dont believe what an Agent tells you, an old adage but if it looks too good to be true it probably is, look at the property several times at different times of the day and night and if you can ask other tenants about maintenance etc - they will be more honest than an Agent.  We certainly answered questions like that at our last property and saved some newbies to Bahrain from going through the same nightmare we did!

Oh and heaters - good luck with that one!!!!  Most of the A/C units have a "heat" facility but I have yet to find anyone whose actually works.  Buy some oil heaters, rugs, and jumpers - it doesnt last long and soon you will be basking in the heat again :)

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks!
Good advice.

Perhaps we will get some more tidbits and this will become a valuable thread for many.

Nothing new for a long time. Come on, people. Please share your views.