The new expat blog

Hi everyone,

as you can notice, we've released a new version of the Expat.com. Of course we'll all need a few days to get used to it.

Why these changes ?

You can read the official announcement here :

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=327061

The main improvement is that Expat.com is now optimized for mobiles and tablets. Have you already tried browsing Expat.com on your mobile ?

Of course everything is not perfect, we've already identified issues on IE, we will release our fist fixes tomorrow, and will improve the website little by little. Should you notice any bug or issue, please do not hesitate to post on the "help us to improve the website" forum

The team and I hope you will little by little discover the improvements we've made and that you will appreciate them.

So far, what do you think about this new version ?

Sincerely yours,

Julien

I really don't like the new format. Less information and harder to navigate.

On my mobile it is awful now. impossible to find messages!

Case of "if it ain't broke make it worse"

I personally like the new design, at the same time, I also agree with Nemodot. It isn't as simple as how it used to be especially when browsed on a mobile device.

On my mobile it is awful now. impossible to find messages!

Ni Nemodot and zaff, have you seen the nav button on the top left of your screen (with 3 white stripes), which opens a lateral navigation tool ?

It's on the left of the logo ;)

Ah... no wonder it looks different. I had to take a second look at the link to make sure it was https://www.expat.com:D

Looks cool #Julien, thanks!

On my mobile older postsi require too much scrolling.and submit is hard to find.difficult to get back to forum

@ Gravitas: Please feel free to post on the forum Help us improve the website :)

And it's becoming increasingly annoying that most posts end up with an admin comment. Like being in school again.

When I receive a private mail there is an instruction to click to access it but there is no link, just the words "click here" so I have to go to the website if I want to read the message.

When I see the summary of latest posts it doesn't say who made the latest contribution just how long ago. Therefore I can't tell if there is a new comment after mine unless I can remember the number of replies. Note please that phones only have one screen open at a time so not able to see email and there is a long delay anyway.

And it's becoming increasingly annoying that most posts end up with an admin comment.

It's just that might be internally overstressed because of the new version ?

If no-one is following the "rules" and the forum is not the place for most postings, and they need to be moved elsewhere, something seems wrong with the concept of forum interaction?  Perhaps the admins can make the moves and use the PM of the errant poster to let them know what has happened rather than the whole forum becoming littered with "corrections" and people being told publicly they have done something wrong?

A few rules are indeed explained in our code of conduct.

When someone says "my car is for sale", I don't consider this as some kind of announcement (classified) and not a call for discussion (thread on a forum).

Technically, we can't move items from the forum to the jobs / classifieds / housing sections.

And yes, we often contact people privately. But if we don't explain publicly (sometimes), the forums may be flooded with ads (we experienced that a while ago in Vietnam I think)

I won't be long I need my coffee !

Thanks for your suggestions they are definitely interesting

Julien I know how to find messages but it is a bad design as i can't see if I have a message. I have to look.

Basically less user ftiendly

If you've got a new message or contact request, you'll automatically see a notification (I'll send you a pm)

but I agree this should be improved. Only "new notifications" should be shown ... we indeed have to improve a few things !

I just now started a new thread on this topic, without knowing that there is already one created by Julien. It takes such a long time to load, that I could not see the earlier thread at all. - Sorry for that, I feel embarassed !

Julien wrote:

If you've got a new message or contact request, you'll automatically see a notification (I'll send you a pm)

NO I DONT HAVE THAT IN IE, FIREFOX OR CHROME

Is that clear Julien? No notification at all of messages. You have to go hunting for them (desktop). Mobile version is so bad I have given up. And there is no switch to desktop option. Really bad web design!

Mobile version is unusable. There is no way to edit a post and easy to make a mistake on a mobile especially with the page jumping around as it loads like it does now (5 mins per post). Your web designer should be flogged then get someone who understands testing!

NO I DONT HAVE THAT IN IE, FIREFOX OR CHROME

Is that clear Julien?

No need to shout, please.

Here are the notifications :

http://www.faliu.com/notifications.gif

And there is no switch to desktop option.

We've used a responsive design. The mobile and the desktop version are exactly the same.

Thanks for encouraging us in improving our members' experience.