Bangkok 'protest' updates

Hi there,
I was just hoping someone could give me an update on the state of Bangkok at the moment?  Is it pretty much safe to walk around as long as you avoid the protest areas?

I am moving to teach there in August and lots of my family are getting worried. . . .

Any major disruptions going on? I notice that the British Embassy have closed.

Hi there,

I guess by August the protest should be over. They are clearing the mob at this moment. The situation is very tense at the major protest areas but as long as we avoid those areas that is fine.

It also depends where you are putting up at? Areas at the other side of the river is not affected.

However, the main inconvenience is the BTS and MRT are closed for service from yesterday till today. So people who live near Sukhumvit and near Ladprao for example are quite affected since they use the BTS mainly as the mode of transport. 

I have a colleague of mine putting up at my spare Condo for the time being because the Soi leading to her apartment is closed.

But life is normal here for most people.

Hope this help.

Hi,
I was living in BKK until last week. I had to leave there since the civil unrest was difficult to predict  how it will end up. (I hope to return later this year or next.)
Also, since I needed to go to the "troubled" area daily for study and other chores, it was impossible to continue.
I do hope that things will settle down soon so that the life in and around BKK will go back to normal (keeping my fingers crossed).
But, by August, things should quiet down. Then again, knowing little about the political history of Thailand, one never knows.
By the way, I did live on the other side of the river. But there was nothing going on there. You want to live like  a hermit it is fine to stay on that side.
Enjoy your time in Thailand. It really is a nice and exciting city to live. Just be prepared for the heat.

Things should settle down by then hopefully.  But keep an eye on the advice from your home country's Government.  If they are still advising against all travel to BKK, you will not be able to purchase travel insurance to cover you (you will be refused cover).  Travelling without insurance is a no-no... so if this is still the case in August, reconsider your trip.

But I would expect things will be quieter then.

Until the next time, at least :rolleyes:

Hi- just wondered is it getting back to normal now?  Or do you expect it to erupt again at any time?

Right now is quite quiet. Red's said they would "resume" their stuff this next month, but will see what happens. Overall, wasn't that frightening. Lived something similar back in Spain with ETA. But will see what happens anyhow. Unless I feel my life is in jeopardy I will not move. I love this country too much.