Anyone have electronics background?

I brought two Radioshack Wireless intercoms with me that worked great in the US. We are in a two story townhouse and my wife has to yell loud to get my attention, she is pregnant and I don't like her having to go up an down too much. I purchased 2 220 to 110 100 watt transformers for use with the units which say 6 watts on the back. I had to break off the ground connectors on the intercoms, as these transformers only have the 2 connections on them. I found that the units power on and the red led is on but they are not transmitting? Is this because of the missing ground. What if I connect a wire from the ground on one unit to the ground on the other and use a single power source to power both units? The problem is I do not know which connection if any of the two wire system in use here is correct for ground on these units. If I knew that I could make sure I connect it correctly and use a ground. I'm afraid I will short out the units if I get it wrong.:cool:

I think it may work... u could als try a 2 pin to 3 pin adapter.. to safe the hassle... just use the cellphone dude..

get 2 handheld fm two way radios from walmart....order them online to get best deal..get rechargeable batteries...use power converter to charge them..your power converter does not push enough current to transmit the ones you have...get 2 cell fones...speed dial to each others fone...Get big bell... Have ate hit with hammer to summons you...hire a helper....use your head...hahahah! just joking...hehehe.   Many solutions for this...

I have two midland two way radios here but the batteries are now dead. If I can get a battery to fit in there these would be great, or I could adapt them some how for use with a transformer tied into the units and eliminate the batteries. They only need to be used to call me so are not needed to be away from one spot in the house. Well let me think on that a while. Ace Hardware at the SM has this nice little transformer that is universal that is it has many adapters of all sizes and adjustable voltage AC or DC. from 1.5 all the way up to 12 Volts, and it's only P 299.

You mentioned buying in WalMat, maybe some day they will have a Walmart here in Cebu...:cool:

Update- The batteries were not dead I have to hold in the power button like a cell phone before it goes online. Two way radio is easier to call me from downstairs as you have to mess with a number, with the radio or intercom it is much easier, all you have to do is hit a button and talk.:cool:

try baby monitor by Tomy walkabout portable monitor.  (moderated: no ads)
i bought few months back and its really great.  you will be needing it later when baby arrives.
i don't use now and i can sell it to you if interested its still in perfect condtion.  I'm from Manila.
you can email me at [email protected] if interested.

I have a question related to the two radios I have that I brought over here from the US. I know in the US you can use the radios which are really toys. But what about using them in the Philippines? Is it legal here to use a two-way radio or is that reserved for police and security guards? Anyone know???:cool:

dont mess around wth the 2 radios you bought. instead you buy 2 cellphones which you can get for as less as 1500.-PHP each at any shopping mall.

I sent 2 sets over also, think they have a 6 mile range... Will have to try them when we finally move over there hopefully next year.. I havent heard anything about them being illegal, but wanted to use them for when we go to 1 of our ag lots...
   cell phones are good, but i am like you, if i can stay away from some text or phone charges, im all for it..

kenneth

why dont you buy cheap radio and convert into an intercom. Its quite easy. I can design a circuit if you like. You only need one cheap radio (amy size will do) and just use a seperate small speaker in another box in the downstairs. Obviously you need to connect these with 2 wire system

I would be interested in finding out how to do that. When I was a kid I built an intercom system built in a English Leather wooden box, I think I got the instructions to build it in a magazine. I had two of them one in the living room and one down stairs in the basement where I had a photo lab. But I can't remember how I did it. I know it had a small speaker maybe 2 inch in each that acted as a microphone and speaker. It had a switch for talk an listen and worked quite well. I used to tease my sisters by placing the upstairs unit under the sofa and listening in on conversations and occasionally answering them. I later moved it up so my mom could call me for dinner on it. I really wish i had that unit, sounds like this may be something similar.

Looking forward to hearing more
571-970-9195 Call me not long distance.
[email protected] if you want to contact me there.
Charles :cool: