Introducing the new expat blog

Dear member and friends,

we're happy to introduce the new Expat.com. Of course we'll all need a few days to get used to the new design.

So far, do you like it ?

Thanks for your support,

Julien

Improved, cleaner.  Is this an upgrade of underlying software or the application of a new template?  It's easier to read.

I recommend the destination and categories lists on the right be single column.  They take up too much width on portrait mode screens for being as uncommonly used as they are

Agree with Chrisfox. Too much space on the screen taken up by things seldom used or viewed.

I click on the city link maybe twice a month.  I've never used the categories.  They don't need to take up a third of the screen.  Don't remove them, because someone might use them/

This new look is  :cool:  I  :heart:  it.
:one:D:):D

I don't like the mobile version :(

Great appearance ! Especialy the messenger! i love it

Julien,

Cool layout.  Excellent emoticons!  But, what happened to the email alerts?

Wild_1 wrote:

But, what happened to the email alerts?

Looks like there's something wrong with them, but we haven't found the bug yet   :unsure (it's just a matter of time)

Wild_1 wrote:

Julien,

Cool layout.  Excellent emoticons!  But, what happened to the email alerts?

Wild_1 if you look to the left of your user name you'll (or should) see a number. Most of them are contacts waiting to be confirmed but that seems where the notification of incoming mail are also. I'll send you a PM right now. Check it out....

Yeah Julien!  Why do those contacts awaiting confirmation have to appear on there, along with our new messages?  While we on the topic, why can't I delete or ignore the contacts that I don't want to add or confirm? 

Last but not least, which button do you press to delete or deactivate ChrisFox?

Good day gentlemen,
Howie

Why do those contacts awaiting confirmation have to appear on there, along with our new messages?

Just try using the website from your mobile, and you'll understand (we haven't got enough space for both)

While we on the topic, why can't I delete or ignore the contacts that I don't want to add or confirm?

I also wonder why ... maybe because we've still got a few thing to improve ?  :cool:

A mobile implementation can be derived from the desktop layout by simply making it one column wide.  In a thread like this one

(0) write code to detect the device being used and branch to a mobile implementation

(1) put those two lists now on the right at the top of the screen; better still, put them as links rather than expanding them on every page. 

(2) the author's name, avatar, and description should be atop each post, not at the left.  On a mobile implementation it would probably be a good idea to have avatars off by default, better still have nothing but the name as a hyperlink to the public profile. 

(3) Images should be presented as links in a mobile implementation.  Some posters here flood their entries with large images for attention and when you go mobile you should be much more text-oriented. 

I could help with the innards of the system, the database and the scripting code that does all this, it would only take a few days to learn PHP, but any browser changes are outside my expertise.  I can barely do rudimentary HTML but I've got a lot of experience with databases and servers.  I offer my help gratis if you want it.

The button colors for Edit, Quote, Unsubscribe are using a color scheme that makes them appear to be disabled.  The gray on gray is what most desktop and mobile operating systems use to indicate a button has no function in the current state.

Julien,

How about a down-vote button? 

We really need this function, in order to rid ourselves of the social outcasts.  Please!