This place can be quite lonely

It's an odd feeling. A city so busy, filled with people motion and commotion, but for someone not from here, its different. Maybe that's the expat experience. This is my first time. Maybe its just something to get used to, something to push away, on the edge of thought, with coffee shops and malls, restaurants and movie theaters.

I find myself straining as I walk the aisles of stores, hoping to catch a glimpse of English. It's only happened twice, but each time I wonder if I should say something, if they are feeling the same way, or the fact that they are speaking english means there is someone else to blow off the loneliness with.

Ehh or maybe I'm just being melodramatic. :)

So ya, I'm looking for some people in Amman to hang out with. Im from the states. So what is there to do here?

hi how are you ? i hope you would like it here

Hi,

I'm from the states too, and wouldn't mind hanging with a fellow Yankee. I moved here last year from Chicago. Where are you from?

Thanks for the replies.

I moved here from California. Out here working at a technology firm. I've been trying to go out exploring every now and then, so my circle of comfort with the area has been growing. 

How has this past year been for you? How did you go about meeting people? Definitely interested in hanging out doing whatever. Would love to find a hoop if anyone plays pickup games. Though culturally I'm not sure if the "lets play with random people" thing works here.

Forgot to mention I was actually in Chicago this past year for work. Which part of Chicago are you from?

Hello AmanInAmman,
a suggestion that may be useful (if interested in local community):
From my experience in travelling middle East and Jordan, I would suggest if one is a muslim to go to your local mosque for prayer that way you can also get to know some of the local people.  Here you could eventually end up meeting many helpful people + also professionals.

Hi, to all
It seems like we are all bored in here :( ..
I am from Bulgaria, I have no friends here .. poor me .. I speak Arabic, but how can I make friends here, where should I go ? Where are you people going to make friendships ?

Depends on why you are in Amman. Don't you work with anyone that you can also hang out with? You can't just go with anyone you have to be careful. Join a gym and workout, maybe you'll meet someone there.

While the World Cup football is on you will find a number of Brits and American in the Kempinski Hotel Shmeisani sports bar called Time Out during their teams matches, you can miss them!!! The other hangouts for English speaking people is the Grenadier Bar close to Liwan Hotel, The Dubliners and Queeen Vic at the back of the Comfort suits hotel and Rovers Return Swefiah,the Its worth joining in even if you dont like football as you will make friends that way.

Hey AmaninAmman,

I'd love to play some hoops. My nephew tells me that there are some good courts at sports city if you'd like to play there. Just email me at this forum, and we'll set something up.

Hello all

I am not a fellow yankee but almost (lived in NYC for several years). WOuld love to meet and do activities these days ( sport, hike, pool parties, )
let me know and we could try to organize something

Cheers and have a great beginning of a week

Fran

You are right, this place does feel lonely.  You will find that many jordanians speak english, not just expats.  The thing is, you can't really relate to the locals even if they speak english.  But there are some coffee shops in jabal amman between the 1 and 3rd circle where you can meet americans.  Just be careful because even though its fairly safe here you should always be cautious.  Good luck.

I admit it is so lonely and I feel home sick already. I'm looking for a volunteering or working opportunity in any American institution just to spend some time and do something useful here really miss Home  oh! California!