Salary and tax rates in Norway

Hello everyone,

I have been offered a research job at a uni after finishing my Ph.D.
The salary is 41k NK per month. I was wondering if that is a good salary as there is a possibility to negotiate with the employer. Also, would like to know about the tax rates.

Many thanks,

Hello,

That's a decent salary to get for a research position. You might be able to get it a bit higher, but universities don't always have so much scope for negotiation for these positions. After taxes and pension contributions you will probably get around 27k per month. Income taxes aren't all that high, but bear in mind there is a high level of indirect taxation in Norway. Still, this is a salary you can live on.

Which university are you thinking of working at, if I can ask?

David

Hi,

I got a job offered in Oslo as Quantity Surveyor for Oil and Gas fabrication company. They offered me salary of 690K NOK per year before tax with NO accommodation. I did a bit research about living cost in Norway and decided to negotiate the salary a bit higher at 800K NOK per year before tax, consider the tax would be 36-45% (not sure).
I am planning to bring along my wife and 3 kids. Is the 800K NOK / year salary is comfortable for family of 5 in Oslo?
Really appreciate for any advise, thank you very much! ; )

Hello,

You should be able to get by on that without any problems. Of course, it depends what sort of lifestyle you expect to have. For instance, where you want to live, what size house/apartment you want, whether you want to have a car etc. The best thing to do would be to try to write out a budget and figure out how much money you will need for different things.