Ecuadorian government subsidy on primary forest

I understand that the Ecuadorian government provides a cash subsidy- I understand it is around $200 per hectare per year- for primary forest owners as an incentive to not cultivate the land.  Also from my understanding it is either Agriculture or Environment ministries  that run this program.

Anyone here either have any experience with the program or know anyone that has applied for the subsidy and is receiving it?

Many thanks

Expat

I've heard a bit about this too, but nothing specific. I was told it was between $30 and $90 per hectare, depending on the area and type of forest. I'm trying to get my mountain property to qualify, but finding real info can be difficult. I was also told it can get you a break on your property taxes. If I find out anything specific I'll post it here.

jessekimmerling

Thanks for the information.  I also have heard bits and pieces. I am  investigating pre purchase and will be happy to share what I find out as well. 

Regards

Expat

Just wondering what forest land is selling for per hectare these days and what the annual taxes would be.  I could take a trip south and write it off as a business trip to secure an investment.  How many hectares could I purchase for $25,000?

It depends on a LOT of factors- where the land is, whether its primary forest or pasture or what percentage of either, whether it has an escritura or not-- and how you approach the seller.

There are a number of things to consider....and the idea of flying down and purchasing is possibly doable but you probably are going to pay more because there is one price for expats and one for Ecuadorians.....I have even seen  people from Quito pay more in places like the coast or the Orient because they are city dwellers and not locals.  Additionally, I don't know about your  experience here but things work differently  from what those of us from the US  are accustomed to. Paperwork that might take an afternoon or a few days in the US- a title transfer for example, can take years here, particularly when an expat buys non escritura land that must have a title adjudication by the Eucadorian government- I was told this by the head of the Ministero de Agricultura in Esmeraldas, its not something I am making up or heard through any grapevine.....

Aside from the complications  that are possible, I have seen land selling for anywhere from $500 a hectare to vastly more. I looked at land recently on the coast- this was not land with beach front but land several kilometers distant from the beach...... one parcel, 46 hectares without escritura--had an asking price of $30 K. Another parcel, 6 hectares, without escritura, had an asking price of $200 K.  That much difference. To complicate things further, if you decide to try to seek an agent to facilitate the search for you, the agent will ALWAYS have just what you are looking for....... until you get to the land and find that its something totally different than you  were led to believe.

I have not purchased land here to date- I am currently in Quito attempting to have the law about property rights clarified further before I put any money on the table. I have been in Ecuador looking for property for about 9 months so far. There are a lot of much more knowledgeable expats here that may be able to further clarify this in a thread dedicated to your question (this one is about subsidies) and I think you might be better served by starting a separate thread with your question as the subject....... finally, I don't know your intentions but I got the impression that you anticipate it being a quick trip  and its done. This might be possible if you have a lot of money to throw at buying land here. My assumption may be in error  and if so  no offense intended...... where I lived in Mexico  for 10 years we had a saying- "con dinero, bilar un pedro"....or with enough money a dog will dance. Its true here.  Go with caution and good luck.

Expat42451

thank you

Mugtech

Glad to be of help. Lots of knowledgeable people here have saved me no end of grief in passing on their hard earned wisdom. I hope that you find the land you want at a good price, that all of this works out for you and you share what you learn here. It helps the community.

Happy New Year and good hunting

Expat

mugtech wrote:

How many hectares could I purchase for $25,000?

How many private messages per hour are you getting from realtors since you asked?

Weren't you in Ecuador last month?  What do you think about it?

LeftClique

Dunno whether this is directed at me or Mugtech........but for the  question I ve been here for more or less 9 months this time. My searches have been on the ground and talking to locals in the Oriente (centered in Tena) and on the coast in a number of places. As far as Ecuadorian land speculators it runs the gamut from small time local promoters to  those referred by attorneys that advertise here and elsewhere for "services" to expats.  Services like  getting a 12-IX visa. With basic Spanish my experience to date is anyone can do this and an attorney except for land purchases....again, in my experience....isnt necessary. There are also various expats with websites who promote Eden in Ecuador but I have not used any of their services to date.

I am currently in Quito and have been here this time for almost a month. I consulted an Engish speaking attorney recommended by another expat here.  She recommended  someone supposedly with land for sale. I wasted 2 weeks waiting for a property description that never came. I also asked her about property rights for non Ecuadorianos. She never answered the questions I asked.  I am certain that there are those who will assist an expat with these issues since there are so many on this forum that own property and have successfully had these questions answered. However this has not been my experience to date. I also am sure  that if you are willing to throw a lot of money at  the situation, your results may be different than mine have been to date.

All of this having been said I like Ecuador..... the people, the country, the culture.  This is where I want to make my home even with its faults. No place is perfect. For me the watchword has been gentle persistence, respect and patience.  However your mileage may vary. Hope this helps.

Expat

expat42451 wrote:

LeftClique

Dunno whether this is directed at me or Mugtech........but for the  question I ve been here for more or less 9 months this time. My searches have been on the ground and talking to locals in the Oriente (centered in Tena) and on the coast in a number of places. As far as Ecuadorian land speculators it runs the gamut from small time local promoters to  those referred by attorneys that advertise here and elsewhere for "services" to expats.  Services like  getting a 12-IX visa. With basic Spanish my experience to date is anyone can do this and an attorney except for land purchases....again, in my experience....isnt necessary. There are also various expats with websites who promote Eden in Ecuador but I have not used any of their services to date.

I am currently in Quito and have been here this time for almost a month. I consulted an Engish speaking attorney recommended by another expat here.  She recommended  someone supposedly with land for sale. I wasted 2 weeks waiting for a property description that never came. I also asked her about property rights for non Ecuadorianos. She never answered the questions I asked.  I am certain that there are those who will assist an expat with these issues since there are so many on this forum that own property and have successfully had these questions answered. However this has not been my experience to date. I also am sure  that if you are willing to throw a lot of money at  the situation, your results may be different than mine have been to date.

All of this having been said I like Ecuador..... the people, the country, the culture.  This is where I want to make my home even with its faults. No place is perfect. For me the watchword has been gentle persistence, respect and patience.  However your mileage may vary. Hope this helps.

Expat

Must have been for you, I was in the Bahamas last month.

I'm selling half my land in the mountains of NW Imbabura province. I need money to work on the beach hostel. 45 hectares for 20k. No road, difficult trail, power nearby, clean drinkable spring water, great property for someone stat wants to drop out of society. Not a good property for older people that might need access to services and an easy walk in. 70% bamboo, 30% old growth, great gardening climate. 2000 meters, sunny in the morning, rainy in the afternoon. I'm keeping the 46 hectares next door, so I'll be your direct neighbor, though I'm not there often. (Moderators, delete if you need. I know it's not the right place to post, though its on topic).

jessekimmerling wrote:

I'm selling half my land in the mountains of NW Imbabura province. I need money to work on the beach hostel. 45 hectares for 20k. No road, difficult trail, power nearby, clean drinkable spring water, great property for someone stat wants to drop out of society. Not a good property for older people that might need access to services and an easy walk in. 70% bamboo, 30% old growth, great gardening climate. 2000 meters, sunny in the morning, rainy in the afternoon. I'm keeping the 46 hectares next door, so I'll be your direct neighbor, though I'm not there often. (Moderators, delete if you need. I know it's not the right place to post, though its on topic).

Unless my math is way off (quite possible), that comes to about 22 cents per sq. meter. Too bad am not in the market right now for land. Hard to beat that price.

Actually think my math is off. Thinking is more around 5 cents per sq. meter. Does that sound about right Jesse?

j600rr wrote:

Actually think my math is off. Thinking is more around 5 cents per sq. meter. Does that sound about right Jesse?

I don't think in terms of price per meter. You wouldn't buy rice by the grain, would you? Any time a seller starts talking price per meter I run the other way, and I encourage other buyers to do the same. My land may sound very cheaply priced, but considering how difficult the walk in is, I don't think it's anything more or less than a fair deal. I think it's $444 per hectare or something. It's really only useful for someone that wants a very remote and wild property. It would be a great place to hole up during the zombie apocalypse.