British Mum in New Jersey

Hello!
I am British and have been living in Maplewood New Jersey since 2003. We moved to USA with my husband's job and now have two children. All our other family is in England and so we have made many Expat friends in the same position. 

I have organized the Maplewood British Expat group for years so have seen many friends come and go and have helped many settle into the community, find them playgroups etc. Helping them to figure out the way of life here initiated my blog that has loads of information on the area and moving here.  'NJ Expat Guru' on blogspot!

I love living in NJ because we are a quick commute to New York City and yet we get the benefit of all suburbia offers as well: tree-lined streets, parks, walkable downtowns with cute stores, coffee shops and restaurants, more space, back gardens etc.  The summer here is like being in a Spanish climate. The autumn is divine with chilled air and bright blue skies, and the lovely Halloween and Thanksgiving celebrations. I am less keen of the winters because of the snow, but we only have to clear the driveway about three times a year so it's just enough for the kids to play, and for me to enjoy the snow-covered vistas which are really pretty! 

I have had a few different visas and am now a citizen of the USA. I have been lucky that we got green cards early on so I have worked in NJ. While my children were little I was a preschool Spanish teacher, and now I enjoy being a local Realtor, helping people find the right place to call home!

All the best,
Karen Westwood

Now that's an introduction.  It's a refreshing change of pace from all the "I need to find left handed blond haired Mongolian friends in Oklahoma" introductions.

Sounds like you have done well at becoming an expat. It can be trying experience for some.

We relocated from the US to the Dominican Republic almost 8 years ago and have not looked back for a second.  Others don't last 2 months here. A lot depends on the individual

Congrats on a job well done.

Bob K

BritishExpatInNJ wrote:

I love living in NJ because we are a quick commute to New York City

Please tell us about your favorite places in NYC.  Do you feel honored to be living there on the 2014 Groundhog's Day, aka Super Sunday?

Hi Karen,
My name is Daniela and my family and I are Canadians living in Puerto Rico relocating to NY soon. You mentioned that you live in NJ and that you are a real estate agent. My hubby and I were thinking about finding a house to rent in NJ. We have an 11year old son so we are also looking for a good private school. My husband will be working in NYc in the financial district and I will be the one dropping off and picking up our son.
Could you give me some suggestions as to which schools are good there and some neighborhoods in the same area. Ideally travel time for my hubby to be under 1 hour.
Thanks,
Daniela

Ok see here you have answered the where are you working question.  Again be careful of the commute time.

Bob K

Hi!
Well there are certainly plenty of options.
Consider these towns: South Orange, Maplewood, (35 mins) Millburn (40 mins), Summit, (45 mins) and Montclair (35-45 mins) for good direct commutes. Each town has its own feel but all have tree lined streets, walkable downtowns with independent stores and restaurants, cinemas, parks, etc. NJ Transit is the train line from NJ into New York's Penn station, or into Hoboken where we can get the PATH train into NY too.
You might want to consider the public schools in this area as they are well regarded or there are plenty of private options - Far Brook, Pingry, Newark Academy, Montclair Kimberley, Morristown Beard.
Check out these websites:
www.njtransit.com and www.panynj.com to work out specific Commute times
www.greatschools.org to see School reviews
www.njexpatguru.com to get a glimpse of my life in NJ
www.villagegreennj.com or www.patch.com for local info in each town
I would be happy to give you a tour!