Researching SF Story - Crime and Danger in Chiba??

Hello

I am a Science Fiction author, based in Australia.

I have a novella in the editing stages, and part of it is set in Chiba (the action moves between Australia and Japan).

In the past, several 'cyberpunk' authors (I am not one, I am 'slipstream') have made Chiba out to be a hotbed of crime and danger.

As far as I can tell, this is about as far from the truth as you can get!

I have seen that the yakuza have a presence there - but they are organised everywhere, anyway, as far as I can tell, and don't 'dominate the streets' or anything.

Could some of you give me some background here?

The only police reports I have seen from Chiba seem to be relatively minor things like stolen bicycles or smashed vending machines.

The most extreme things I saw were abandoned babies, and a couple of stalking/stabbings - but these happen in every major district of the world, they certainly wouldn't be unique to Chiba.

I'm not asking you to 'bucket' Chiba, lol, as in say bad bad things about it.  I just want a general impression -

Is it, say, as dangerous as Los Angeles, USA?
Or is it nothing like that and more comparable to a peaceful European city, eg. Frankfurt, Germany?
(Yes I realise Chiba is the prefecture, and Chiba City is only one city in the prefecture - but any area information would be of use to me)

Any help would be very appreciated!!

Best regards

J

I have lived in Chiba for about 18 years now and never have I witnessed or heard of any serious crimes.
The crimes that probably do happen are what you have already mentioned... petty theft/ larceny
As far as yakuza goes... you would see their fancy transports with blasting music once in a while - no serious nuisance other than noise pollution i guess...

:) Thank you very much Sahi!