Health Insurance Malta

Hello
My wife and me are planning to move to malta by this month end and live there for couple of years, we are looking for a Health Insurance Company and we have contacted some of them.
We would like to know your feedbacks regarding Insurance companies your recommend.
My wife is pregnant and it seems a bit difficult to find an insurance company who is ready to take her in charge.
Please advise

Hi,

We have insurance coverage through Atlas/AXA Healthcare.But they do exclude pre-existing conditions.And ,in your case, pregnancy is certainly pre-existing!In my case it was heart diseases as I have slightly too high cholesterol values.

If you will be working in Malta, you and your wife will be covered through the National Insurance here in Malta. If not,
check whether you are entitled to free health insurance through agreements with your home country or from your previous health insurance.

If not , health care costs in Malta are generally speaking not that high. So it might not be that bad paying for it privatly.

Regards

Ricky

Hi Ricky, Thank you for your post.
In fact we have to decide between the different private offers as we will be moving to Malta as Permanent Resident, so consquently we won't be working in Malta.
My wife is 2 months pregnant now and we don't have any idea how would the pregnancy costs will be in malta during the next coming 7 months from consultation to medications.
We are a bit lost :/

Hi Gilbertos,

If it is ,and I hope it will be,a normal pregnancy the usual consultancy costs and examinations will not be too expensive.

Costs would ocure in the case of complications.And these depend on the individual circumstances.But these are exactly the costs the insurance companies want to avoid with new customers.

Do you have the option of falling back on a pre-existing insurance in your home country in case of an emergency?

Otherwise I would guess that in the worse case you would be looking at costs of a few thousand euros.

Regards

Ricky

Hi Ricky
Thanks for your replies and for making this post live.
I will be negotiating tomorrow with my insurance company in my country and see if they can provide me international cover.
Thanks again and hope to meet you in Malta as I need a lawyer for my business outside the country :)

Hi,

I wish you luck and hope you can solve the issue.

Give me a note when you are in Malta and we can get together for a coffee.Or just come along to one of our Expat Friday meetings ( see the thread at top).

It would be nice too if you could give me some feedback on the insurance issue as to how to solve the problem.

I'm not a lawyer myself but know a few that I can recommend or get you info depending on your needs.

Regards

Ricky