Teaching job and also where to find a house to rent !

Hello,

I am about to complete my TEFL certification and I am plan on moving to Da Nang January 15th! I could use some guidance on where to look for an english teaching job and also where to find a house to rent! Any information will be very helpful! I hope to hear from you! Thank you!

Grant

Hi Grant,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread as from your post on the Da Nang Forum for better visibility and interaction :)

You should post your resume in the Language teacher jobs in Da Nang. It might help :)

I suggest you post an advert in the Houses for rent in Da Nang regarding accommodation :)

Best of luck with everything !

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

hi, I m Joni. Danang is my hometown but I live in Ho Chi Minh city now so I dont know much about job and house for rent. :P.  Probably I think I can ask my friend about that. Could you tell me more specific about what kind of house do u want? ex: Apartment or house, how much, city center ???, something like that :P. I will be back in Danang on 13 Jan. If u have any other questions feel free to ask me. Cheers!

There are lots of teaching jobs available in Da Nang for those with a 4 year college degree and TESOL . Some are also able to find work without a degree.

[Moderated: send details via a private message pls]

Ancient, "lots of jobs" for teachers in Danang? That doesn't factor with my experience, as far as working at language schools goes.  True that some  people are working here illegally and without qualifications but I wouldn't encourage more people to come and do that!

Hello mojoyote :)

Thanks for this information, also to inform you that this thread is over 6 months old.

Nevertheless your contribution will help other members to have an idea if they have the same query.  :top:

Regards

Kenjee

Oh, thanks for the 'heads up' Kenjee. I didn't notice the date, but a notification appeared about this thread in my email, or another thread that led to this one somehow.  Like you say, though, the information may be applicable to others about this topic. It is getting more competitive everywhere, for Englissh teaching jobs, but in Danang in particular, it seems,  since there are fewer educational institutions than in Hanoi or HCMC. That, and Danang seems to be an attractive place to live, as a city, so people try their luck here. I don't appreciate unqualified teachers (no experience or training) coming in, because if there are problems resulting from that, it reflects on all expat teachers.  As it is, it seems the government wants to drive us out, with new documentation requirements that make it hard even for respected universities to find staff that have all the necessary papers, and more and more they are trying to get Vietnamese teachers to teach English instead.  I was involved in public school teacher training last year and can say that most Vietnamese teachers of English are still not up to par. This is possibly because their benefits and working conditions are so poor that Vietnamese people with good English skills tend to look for jobs in other sectors than education.

mojoyote wrote:

Ancient, "lots of jobs" for teachers in Danang? That doesn't factor with my experience, as far as working at language schools goes.  True that some  people are working here illegally and without qualifications but I wouldn't encourage more people to come and do that!

There are a lot of people working without teaching credentials. If you have the right credentials there is a good selection of employment opportunities. Work usually comes knocking on your door once you have been teaching for a while. Google danang expats, there are usually 2 or 3 new offers per week.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Promotion of services strictly not allowed
mojoyote wrote:

I was involved in public school teacher training last year and can say that most Vietnamese teachers of English are still not up to par. This is possibly because their benefits and working conditions are so poor that Vietnamese people with good English skills tend to look for jobs in other sectors than education.

I have met both excellent and fairly ineffective Vietnamese English teachers in public schools but that was in HCMC.  I understand that many rural and smaller city teachers are not passing the FCE exam (CEFR B2) which is supposed to be a basic qualification for their continued employment. 

Another anecdotal observation:  When I was speaking to the young lady at the coffee stand (a sidewalk stand not even a cafe) outside of one of my schools, I commented on the excellent quality of her English.  She told me that she had been an English major at the University.  When I asked her why she did not teach, she told me that she could not live on the salary.   As long as Vietnam is a country where six mini chairs and some coffee pays better than teaching, your last observation will remain valid.

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : promoting your services freely on the forum is not allowed.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct