Question: food, housing, transportation costs in surabaya

Hello my name is James.  I am moving to Indonesia to get a TEFL in early January.  The program offers the possibility of housing at* 250 american or 2,980,937 indian rupiahs for a month*.  From your perspective already living in Surabaya is that a reasonable price or should I say no to the available housing and find my own?  If I did find my own would it be easy?  Bear in mind, I only plan to stay for a little over a month and don't speak the local language. Also say I find housing but its far away from class, is transportation cheap? I'm guessing my accomodation wouldn't come with a kitchen, so how is the price of food there too? Thanks.

Which apartment are you considering to rent?

Hi James, welcome to the city!
I would highly suggest you to find a place nearest your work/course place - find it in walk distance is the best. The most concern about public transportation (angkot) is the time consumed because of the traffic and their routes around. If you like biking, then it must be easier. Taxi is 24 hours available - but don't rob yourself for that  ;)  250 USD/month could be enough for a bedroom with king size bed, AC, TV, shower; but not sure about kitchen. Its a bit difficult to find a house for monthly rent, so rumah kost or small apartment could be the best choice.

Good luck! :cheers:

3 million is a lot but, if it's near work and only for a month, live with it.
Local food costs bugger all and you can get a small Dominos pizza for Rp20,000.
McD do a prosperity burger for 50 at this time of year.
Expensive by local standards but very nice.

PS.
Roads are rubbish and transport can be crowded, sweaty and dangerous.
Bare in mind, massage places don't involve bears but assistance, aids, is common.