Thinking about moving to Cabarete

Hi all, I'm new to the forum.  I'm looking to move my family to Cabarete.  I'm from the USA, and speak some Spanish.  I have quite a few questions, for starters:

How bad are the mosquito's there?
How safe is this area?
How much Spanish will I need to survive?  I'm hoping to become more fluent.

Anything I should know before I go?

Thanks in advance.

Deanna wrote:

Hi all, I'm new to the forum.  I'm looking to move my family to Cabarete.  I'm from the USA, and speak some Spanish.  I have quite a few questions, for starters:

How bad are the mosquito's there? There are lots of mosquito's and some times it will be worse. Especially after lots of rain. Malaria is not a problem here on the north coast but dengue fever can be a problem.

How safe is this area? If  you live in a safe area and stay out of places you have no business to be in you should be fine. Take the usual precautions that you woulld anywhere

How much Spanish will I need to survive?  I'm hoping to become more fluent. A little and you can survive. The more the better

Anything I should know before I go? Some questions for  you:
1.  ARe you independently wealthy or will you have to work here to support yourself and family.  It you need to work then it will be very difficult for you to survive here
2. Do you have school age kids.  Education is a BIG problem here as well.
3 Have you been here before.  If not you need to come and visit. It you have then you need to take 3 months or so and come down and see if the DR "fits" you.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Bob K

Thanks in advance.

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for the reply. 

No, I won't be working.  My kids are 2 months old and 2 years old, so I have a couple of years before they start school.

I've been to the DR a few times before the kids were born, but it doesn't really count when you are there on a vacation. I'm sure it's totally different when you live there.  I've never been to Cabarete before either.  I only know about it from what I researched online.

I think the three month test sounds like a great idea.   Do you know of a place to look to find a house to rent?

Thanks!

Deanna