Please remember ... you're not on a dating forum !

Hi,

recently the Cairo forum has been taken over by a group of people looking for dates... but Expat.com is not a dating site !

This forum is dedicated to expatriates and their adventures in Cairo. You are very welcome to exchange about the way to find a job, a visa, inter-cultural issues and many other expat-oriented stuff ... you can also use the forum to organize Expat.com meetings / events like other people do in many other cities all around the world !

... but if you are looking for a date or new friends, please post in the classifieds > personals. The moderator team and I will keep an eye on forum and intervene if needed.

Thanks for your comprehension,

Julien

Hi,

I have banned 5 accounts today. Once again, you are not on a dating site !!!!

Please report me any unpleasant user and I'll intervene.

By the way I've banned 4 users and deleted one account in a few hours.

watch up..the banned member..twis..has registerd with a new name..twis2010

john25 wrote:

watch up..the banned member..twis..has registerd with a new name..twis2010

I checked his name but can't seem to find him! Maybe Julien did already ban him ? Else send me the link to his profile and I'll check him out.
Arlette

THNAKS.
Kindly protect the site as you can from such dirty games and foul people.
IMIG

Julien wrote:

Hi,

I have banned 5 accounts today. Once again, you are not on a dating site !!!!

Please report me any unpleasant user and I'll intervene.

By the way I've banned 4 users and deleted one account in a few hours.

Iam new to this forum, and was with another, and they had the same problem,i had only been on it 10 mins and it started, it can be off putting,and very annoying, as you said the dating is in the personals :)

I totally agree! I keep getting these messages from men with their mobile numbers! Isnt it clearly mentioned on my profile that I am married with children!?? :dumboom

nanaray wrote:

I totally agree! I keep getting these messages from men with their mobile numbers! Isnt it clearly mentioned on my profile that I am married with children!?? :dumboom

So you have it on your profile but they still insist on annoying you! duuuuh!!! ....well i havent really had a problem yet ,, but then i havent answered alot of the emails ,
Yes it can be annoying, especailly when you let them know you are a married woman . To me its just a total lack of direspect

Hello,
i agree with you, but i think you have give warning first to the person before banned  him

yes i have seen this problem in most social website and connecting websites like this,,but here is my question,,this site as other websites,,are also intending for building bridges,,making friends across cultures...between locals and expats and among them,,,so how can admins,,or others distingush,,between,,a sincer attempt of friendship or seeking advice,,or its a flirting move,,,thanks

To my understanding the main core object for this website is to privide a bridge to expats to communicate with local for  issues/queries. There is a thin line difference between helping someone and trying to flirt with some . if you look into the previous post there were some people regardless what is the topic  of discussion they just want to go out with foreigners for party/walk/sight seeing and allot .. so to avoid such useless spamming it is necessary to block such people. Being an expat the only reason I use this forum is bcuz i know the moderators are not sleeping and people talk here seriously

dr_albaaly wrote:

yes i have seen this problem in most social website and connecting websites like this,,but here is my question,,this site as other websites,,are also intending for building bridges,,making friends across cultures...between locals and expats and among them,,,so how can admins,,or others distingush,,between,,a sincer attempt of friendship or seeking advice,,or its a flirting move,,,thanks

Well its not just what admin see, its also what is reported , and i think admin can see more than you think ....behind the scenes so to speak . I was on another site , and they noticed something that i didnt ... and it was they were right!!

I just want to add my 2 cents: I was in KSA before and me and my daughter were regularly harrassed on the phone by weirdos who were just trying some mobile numbers and as soon they were hearing a female voice they would continue calling.
Now they have discovered the forums and even myself as a moderator am being harrassed by unsollicited private messages. That's often how we know of these guys and of course, by receiving complaints of ladies in the same case.
As it was said before, these rules are only here to protect active and true members of the forums.
Cheers
Arlettte

Hi ,

I've been getting some request to go out for a drink and when I replied that I will be glad to meet the person and if my husband can come along ,i will not receive an answer back .I am getting a lot of Egyptians asking for friendship and meeting them for a drink .Tired of harassment everywhere in this country .Mo

I think there is something wrong , Egyptian thought that it is easy to date foreigner girl or women and this point of view  is coming from the wrong media, I had the same concept in the past but after I met some foreigner males and females I discovered that girls or women don't date man by this way, I think Egyptian men don't understand the meaning of friendship between male and female, so I ask to start discussion and make awareness about the friend ship and what does it mean.

I think that the "Egyptian guy gets somewhat a lot of  negative press" .
Dont get me wrong at times it can be true, but its not just in Egypt it is in  other places, like Turkey.
i see on the yahoo search "beware of Egyptian guys" .
Huh whats all that about yes some can be "over the top" but as a rule i have found them very polite and helpful, and when i was there on occasions, yes i was approached or asked for my number, but not in a way of offending me .
yes i think the differance in frienships in the differant cultures has alot to do with it
And about Egyptian men thinking foreign woman  easy prey, well i think i iwll  keep my opinions to myslef on that matter :)

if someone adds you as his contact and I don't want that, how can I remove myself as a contact of his? as the user 'demace' did.

I receive some random private messages from male members but just ignore them. Maybe there could be a "report user" function ?

I add it to our to do list  ;)

I am half Egyptian and I get the SAME harassment on line, phones and in person. It is very off putting and I am not surprised that the guys here get such a bad reputation.
The reason they approach foreign women, I regret to say is because Hollywood makes women out to be such bed hopping companions that are easy to bed. So, they think that when they come across a foreigner she's going to be an eager beaver like the characters on screen.
Another reason foreign women are in HOT pursuit is because you hold a foreign passport! If you fall for their charm and marry them, you become their ticket out of here!
THERE ARE ACCEPTIONS TO EVERY RULE! HOWEVER, FOR YOUR SAFETY, presume that they are all like that until they have proven otherwise.

Well said !!!! Yes all the media and magazines,,
I have to admit that yes it' seems Egyptian men are the ones who seem
to be so persistant , but that's not my personal opinion but listening to other stories and seeing it on the net .
Since being here only a few weeks it's made me extremely aware of what is friendship ,?
It's a shame really because I'm a very friendly person anyway , and it kind of makes me to seem a little rude .and unfriendly .
It's a matter of just really choosing who you really call your friends and looking out for those who are just after anything else they can get

It is common to meet such position anywhere. Some stupid think they can hunt by words and photos neglecting the social and educational level of participants. They are nearly sick.
According to my modest experience via more than 9 countries, foreigners normally meet respected style contacts wherever they go globally.
Dr. IMIG

well.
at first, i just wanted to note that some of our friends here have blowing this matter out of proportion.
Every where in the World, you can find those kind of people you are talking about, and I am not with you that all males in Egypt act this way aiming to get the foreign woman to their beds.
This is wrong, and resulting from bad experiences that I am sorry to be witnessing, yet, it's not the truth.
it's natural that you MUST stay cautious when you move to a new country for a stay, visit or even for work, yes, it's preferable that you do not get along with people that easy, However, you SHOULD not deal every one this way, you should understand the culture of this people, the way they think, the ideas they adopt and the way they deal with you.
some of friends here, accused me of generalizing my judgment regarding certain issue previously, even  that was not my concern; but I see that they are committing the pre-advised unfavorable thing.
I am  Egyptian, and I know that there are some guys who really invites bad reputation about Egyptians , but i say that THE majority of guys here in Egypt seek to maintain a good image about Egypt and its people by actions rather words.
They help foreigners in Egypt willingly to talk to them as they consider them as guests, hence our duty is to make them comfortable and feel as if they are not STRANGERS  here in Egypt.
They also tend to make them feel at ease, encouraging them not to withdraw into their expat-community and to interact with the natives.
So it's of a fatal mistake to think that when a male, trying to get along with you or trying to open a channels for discussion and exchange experience with you, IS courting to you hopefully to make you fall in love with him, So he could consider you as a ticket out of here.
This IS TOTTALY WRONG, and I really feel offended by such unreasonable words on the right of Egyptians.

Hollywood may picture women in the West as you have been thought it was for us, but we have religion, customs and traditions that shape our behavior and conduct with any people.
Sex tourism is another critical factor that may lead some youth to expect foreign women in such way, so let's not talk about the reasons.

I apologize for any harassing attempt or bugging messages made by an Egyptian, yet, HE IS NOT THE MODEL TO ASSUME THE REPUTATION OF EGYPTIANS UPON HIS OWN BEHAVIOR.

Kind regards
AN Egyptian

You are right
But why not? the problem is the excessive abuse of use from spammers and cheaters !!

I'm with body_friendship :), I HATE GENERALIZATION.

It depends on the quality of the person, I've met foreigners who were even worse in my lifetime :).

If you suck at judging people just stay in your cocoon safely hidden away cause yes surprise surprise there are bad guys out there but not just in Egypt everywhere in the world.

I can only see  Egyptian guys as naive or really straight forward in being obvious about their intentions which can be regarded as offensive & sometimes yes it is.But at least they're being honest.

Look at the alternative there are other liars & tricksters out there in other countries who have the same intentions but can very well sugar coat them with all the right moves.

At least this way you know who to avoid from the go. I always give people the benefit of doubt. On the other hand, I know Egyptians who don't want to socialize with expats due to their bad experiences with foreigners.

Both sides are taking a risk. So lets weight the risk :).
objective: get to know a new person (aka make a friend)
Downside: bad experiences, the harassers ..etc
Upside: I really manage to make a friend for life.

I'd take the risk :), although I've met my share of harassers & phone ringers (both female & male) but thats just me.

Its your choice either close the door, stay at home eat your pizza & watch a movie. Or take a chance get out there & make new friends :), Nothing is bullet proof or 100% guaranteed may be this time its a hit & miss, may be next time you'll score ;). Just move at your own pace & get to know the person before judging him & letting him in or leading him out.

Its up to you  :)

Y30 wrote:

I'm with body_friendship :), I HATE GENERALIZATION.

It depends on the quality of the person, I've met foreigners who were even worse in my lifetime :).

Its your choice either close the door, stay at home eat your pizza & watch a movie. Or take a chance get out there & make new friends :), Nothing is bullet proof or 100% guaranteed may be this time its a hit & miss, may be next time you'll score ;). Just move at your own pace & get to know the person before judging him & letting him in or leading him out.

Its up to you  :)

that's what i am talking about brother
:)
but so far all expats i have met here are sooo kind and well-cultured people.
i really enjoy my time outing with them, that i am gonna miss some of them a lot since they became life time friends if you got what i mean.

and by the way, some of them are planning to get married from Egyptians as they have never seen people with values and virtues like the Egyptians. ;) "using their own words"

so as you have said my friend, it's a risk and i do agree with you, i have a German friend that is an easy going person; she is easy going girl with whom whatsoever, and i warned her that this is not safe at all.
she told me she has to take the risk and meet new people, yet i have advised her.
kind regards

Hi Guys,

I am an expat recently arrived here in Cairo, I say hello to all of you.
Ive noticed not many people in Egypt can speak good English.
I'd love to know your experiences.
I am an electrical engineer by profession.

Regards

Shahid

By the way it goes both ways. I get messages from girls very often too.

Honestly what annoys me is those strangers who want to hook up with someone with an American accent so they could practice their English. Seriously?! Am I your ****ing tutor? Go back to school and sign up at lookingforatutor dot com!

:lol:

"you've been expelling us hundreds of times and we still registering again,"

Something of a security issue, no?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

@Whimvsreason I don't think they ban IPs & even if they did internet in Egypt is DHCP so you just power off your modem & voila you get a new IP.

Unless they can come up with an ID verification system which most people won't be pleased with.

But I'm with you it is getting out of hand .

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/images/smilies/co4x4/feedtroll.gif

lol, k.

i agree with u

Is there anyway one can 'report' messeges. Its frustrating to ignore messeges, then have your inbox filled..

send me a pm with the messages and I'll have a look

i have been reading several comments about the people of my country, and to be very honest i find some of them very disrespectful , stereotype and completely unacceptable. This is my country Egypt, this is its culture and those are its people. the good and bad exist everywhere in the world. I m not defending an abuser and i m not promoting harassment of any kind. but if i feel the urge of contacting anyone and say whatever i want (as long as it is in a decent polite manner ) i will do it . and if that person does not like me or my people they can simply go anywhere else in the world.
there is a very thin line between criticizing and disrespect and you cannot stereotype the whole country for some bad experience u had. By the way i have travelled extensively around the world and some of the people complaining about our culture can just shut up , coz back where they come from the case is really worse, but i wouldn't mention the name of the country or what they are bad at , or i will be a discriminator just like you!!.
so just chill, and click on ignore or report an abuser, but keep your mouth clean when you speak about the people of the country where you live. not just in Egypt but anywhere else.

Moe, did you read unpleasand posts in this thread ? If you didn't, I suggest you should start a new discussion.

Please do not hesitate to report me any problem by using the "report link"

how wonderful to have a boss that you direct all the time
I'm not flirting carefully removed my account

okay i am new here
but the main reason i am here is learning languages i am targeting enhancing my Swedish or French :D so for me meeting guys or girls it doesnt matter all i need is ppl helps me with the conversational skills.
i dont mind starting German ...... but i gave up hope with Spanish lol its not for me :D
wish you all great day

Closed