Pregnancy in Kuwait

Hi there, my baby is due in March. We are Irish. I was wondering what do I do to obtain exit papers/passport for new baby when we leave in June? Going home for birth is not an option.
What do you think about Sabah maternity hospital? Should I go private?
Thanks for your help

firstly; congratulations :)

are you guys married with a notarized marriage certificate? coz if not its gonna be a problem to give birth in Kuwait.

second; its a preference, not being a woman i cant tell u much, but i know a lot of women that have had their babies delivered at public hospitals.

third; the baby's passport would be issued via the embassy so your best bet is to contact them as to their requirements, with the authorities in kuwait you only need to ensure registration and ID processing for the child.

New Mowasat is great.
It's located in Salmiya

Sabah hospital for me,is ok. Most of my friends delivered there.Just be sure to bring  your marriage contract. Private hospital here are expensive . May you have a safe delivery.

The hospital is not that important. You need to find a good doctor first. U can go to a great hospital, but the Dr could be useless. Something very common in Kuwait. So if you find a good dr, he can come to any hospital you choose.  Its better for you to go to one where someone you personally know has already given birth at, so they can give you the ups and downs about it.
You need to contact your embassy for the childs paperwork. Make sure you do that way before the date of delivery just in case.

Ahh thanks guys for your advise... We are attending New Mowasat at the moment but we might switch to Sabeh as it is too expensive. Thanks again and Merry Christmas

DO mind me asking how much you were quoted for New Mowasat Macy?  we have just moved to Salmiyah and my wife is due to give birth 2 months after you so we have all the same questions!

Being the father of 3, I can tell you that Maternity Hospital (Sabah) is a good place. All my kids were born there. Here are some pointers that might help. Some points are there for you if it's your first born, just in case:
- Depending on your term and condition. They'll either inspect you weekly, daily or even admit you if needed.
- During the time you're under inspection your husband will be as good as a taxi driver as no men are allowed near any of the places were ladies are being inspected.
- When contractions start, they will admit you to the labor room. They will give your husband a paper of consent in case they need to carry out a procedure (e.g. C-Section).
- Husband goes home and waits for a call. (I my case slept in the car)
- They will do the usual. (wait for contractions become faster and stronger)
- You NEED to be a bit assertive with what you need coz they might be a bit complacent. (Depends on the doctor, though. Some of them and good care givers)
- If they need to do a C-Section, they will do it in the most advanced way I know of (keeping you awake and giving some injection in the back as a local anesthetic)
- I think it's cool cause you'll be able to partly see your own C-Section. (Hope nobody find this creepy)
- After delivery, you'll be in recovery room for some time before they take you to the ward.
- If you are able too you can call your husband at this time to tell him the good news, insha'Allah. (Wish you the best)
- The hospital also will call your husband, but he'll be able to see you only in visiting hours. So if you deliver at night, this means: "See you tomorrow morning".
- My kids were Jaundice when they were born so they were kept under bili lights for a few days. (Breast feeding helps to stop that so it's very important to do it as soon as possible ... insist for helping you with breast feeding)
- They normally try to kind of bully ladies into being discharged (cause it's very hectic for them there). If you are in serious pain or need extra medical attention, insist for it.

Best wishes and good luck.

I never got a quote personally but my friend is looking to pay around 1000  KD. I think the room is around 500 . Then the doctor's fee etc.
A lot of people recommend the Public hospital ... Sabah hospital so I'm going to have a look there too. Best of luck!

Thanks for that Justfedup! That was very useful information

Thanks Macy.  100KD is a chunk of cash, I agree.  Let me know how you find Sabah.  Its down town in Kuwait City i think which is a downside as you have to get through all the traffic!!

Sorry, 1000KD is a chunk of cash!!

Great learnings, thanks justfedup

Most welcome guys .... May I add that all I had to pay was 2 K.D. I couldn't believe the lady at the cashier's desk when she said that. I asked her again to make sure that that was all I had to pay, and yes, that was that.

As for the discharge procedure:
- Husband has to appear personally to produce the papers (if not the husband, someone who officially as power of attorney)
- He needs to bring up civil Id's copies, passports and an attested marriage certificate (better translated). He needs to provide BOTH a copy and the original.

Good luck

Thanks for the the top tips!!! i wouldn't have known to bring all those documents, have them translated, attested etc.  not quite the same as the UK!!

That's what X-pats do @Johan001 ... we have different powers but we compliment each other :)

ha ha!! :D

You should check out London Hospital as well, my sister delivered there and she was on a limited budget. Sabah hospital is ok but I didn't like the fact that my husband couldn't go with me as I'm limited with my Arabic. The hospital is rather old and depressing, there was no soap or tissue in the bathroom. A lot of the women there come to Kuwait to have their babies for 2 KD as well so most are treated like cattle. Some of the doctors are foreign, the guy I went to was European but kind of rude. I went there once and will not return unless absolutely necessary. I though Mowasat had a package for 500 KD for maternity and a payment plan as well?

Thanks so much justfedup!

I will check that out too kuwait411. Thanks for your help!

Thanks Kuwait411.  We live literally 2 minutes walk from the Mowasat so will take a walk round and ask them.  will post any hard facts we get.

Hi, could anyone here tell me hospitals that allow husband inside the delivery room.
Thanks

Go for private dear.
U can get your baby's passport in 2-3 weeks.

So no issues.

Good Luck

Better take treatment at private hospitals and go for delivery in Al-Sabah...
You can open your file in Al-Sabah..
But you can visit in any GOVT hospitals in case of emergency.

First of all congratulations 😀

My advice to go private hospital new mowasatvery nice , clean and helpful staff.

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : dematory post