Teaching English from home

Hi,

I'm not sure if this question has been asked previously.
I want to set up a small school from home teaching English. I'm wondering if there's any legal issues that might occur if I do this.

I've done this whilst living in Vietnam, very successfully, without any problems.

I would like to advertise, by way of signage. What are your thoughts on this?

Regards

Carol

This is advice from a friend of mine, not personal experience;

You will need to have a working permit and a business license for starters, you will also need to be registered with the Ministry of Education, which involves a lot of paper work and money.

You might be able to get around all the red tape and bureaucracy if you are just providing private tutoring , but an actual school if not registered and complying with the laws of Cambodia could land you in deep trouble.

Private schools (non-government/non-NGO) in Cambodia, are run as a business to make money, there are plenty of foreigner owned schools so I can't imagine the process would be too difficult or expensive.

If you aren't living in Cambodia, then I suggest you come over here and do some research before making a decision. If you've never lived in Cambodia previously then I would suggest coming to live here for a trial period to see if you would even enjoy living here, Cambodia is not everyone's cup of tea. It would also be wise to get a job at a school teaching English and learn how the system works here.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for the advise. I will definitely be looking into your suggestions.........

Private tutoring could be the way to go, keeps it simple..

Thanks again...

I can't see you would have any trouble at all in setting up a school in your own home.  I have a friend who has just built his second classroom.  However, he relies on small donations and charges the street kids nothing to attend.  If you are looking for fee-paying students, perhaps you need to stick to the wealthy kids as no-one else has the money for school.

If you are looking to help out in a school for a month or two to get the feel of the place, I can help you out there.  It would mean a trip to Sihanoukville and living by the beach for a while.

Thanks for your positive reply....sounds encouraging and do-able. When I set up the school in Vietnam I had a mixture of students, some paying and some not. I would really love to set this up as a non paying school but, realistically I have to make a wage to at least pay the rent on the house so, I will have to have a certain percentage of paying students. I'm really aiming at corporate students, adults, in small groups.
I will be in Cambodia next March but not long enough to do any teaching...the idea of going down to Sihanoukville is something I might consider when I make the move...what is it that you do?

Carol