So many decisions and questions

We are determined not to spend another cold winter in the UK. The older we get the worse they seem to get.
We did visit Malts a few years ago and really liked it. Southern Spain or the Islands also have similarly mild climates but they seem positively anti-dogs. At our age, learning a new language is an obstruction we can do without, so Malta it is.
Apart from our Staffy, we have no real ties. Our pensions can all be paid there so we're determined to get things in motion.
The house is due for initial valuation tomorrow and I seem to have done little else for a week but research tax, houses, heating, cars, furniture, shipping companies etc.

And still we have loads of questions.
I've browsed this forum and you all seem such a helpful lot. Maybe there's a definitive answer to our most important question: Is it best to buy a Maltese property in advance and try to synchronise sale/purchase/moving or would it be better to sell here first, bank the money and move to a rented place in Malta while deciding on what to buy?

Any and all advice will be gratefully received.

Simple answer, rent do not buy.

There are so many varibles where to live, what town, what type of property. I don't think anyone on here would suggest you buy first. You need at least a year here to find out what you want.

Hi Roboonline,

yes ! Don't even dare to buy in Malta on these price levels. It is a renters market. Come and enjoy ........ even if you spend 10 years here - don't buy!

Cheers
Ricky

Robonline sent you mail.

Definately do not buy.
The price levels here seem very inflated. They have not (yet) experienced a market correction. And I cannot believe it's not around the corner.
On top of this, I think the building quality here is generally poor. You really have to be very careful.
But do not let this put you off. It's a wonderful place, but please rent something first.

Never ever buy on Malta. Lots of reasons but do not.
However, beware the housing agent!! I will pm you.
Also remember sometimes, e.g. now, you will experience wind and rain, a lot of wind and rain and there are some areas that flood every time. So, choose the area in which you want to live with that in mind. Sometimes it may also feel (relatively) cold and damp but never like UK :)

never ever buy here - overpriced, badly designed and built cheaply.

avoid low lying areas that flood regularly....

As for your dog be aware that there are not nearly as many open areas to exercise your dog in as the UK. So choose your area carefully, Gozo is probably better than Malta for your dog.
Some landlords are anti dog and Maltese seem to be frightened of dogs.
On the upside vets are cheap and plentiful, plus there are lots of dog charities if you want to volunteer!

Terry

Thanks.
The recent rains and floods reminded us to look for any signs of flooding in properties when we visit early next year.

Maybe we've lived in the UK too long but renting and having nothing to show for it after a year or more, nothing to sell on, just goes against our instincts. Also, the 'fear' that one's lease might be terminated each year or that the rent could be increased unreasonably, not having the right to make alterations or that an unscrupulous landlord might take advantage in some way ....

Are we being too optimistic in thinking we might be able haggle down the selling price in the depths of winter?

we've all gone thru that - but believe me its against every bone in my body but i would never in a million yrs buy here.

Seat 0A wrote:

They have not (yet) experienced a market correction.

ignore the official data - thats based on asking prices - there has been a correction, of 10-20%, but there is more to come in my opinion

How can I suggest this gently?

DO NOT BUY!!!!

Trust those on here who advise against buying.
With the right agent and a lot of bargaining you will find what you want in the rental market.
Don't sell your house in UK, rent it out and generate income.
You will have somewhere to go back to if you have to (you never know). This is what we do. Also bear in mind that living out here will be different to spending holidays here.
If you buy out here; I virtually guarantee it will end in tears for all kinds of reasons, the least of which will be that you will find it very very very difficult to ever sell again.

almost totally agree with Red - altho selling up completely would be my choice and was my choice. I wanted to make it work here without the urge to go back - and to a large degree it did (for us).

whichever way you decide - its your decision but be very very wary of buying immediately - DONT - take the time to rent a place or a try couple of places for a year or more before going down the buying route....  if you are hellbent on buying make sure you have a bloody good notary and be sure its a good investment - and you want to stay where you have chosen....things change and so do people and services. ITS GOD DAMN DIFFICULT TO SELL IF YOU ARE FORCED TO.

RENTING altho against the grain - is flexible and you can go when you want to with out major encumberance..

Id say heed the warnings. Consider everything ignore nothing.

We are keeping the house in UK for two reasons.
1. To generate income, so we can travel elsewhere.
2. Statistically women outlive men and if I were to die here or become so seriously ill that I could no longer care for Lynn, she would want to go back for family support etc.

I think these things are very important to consider.

The issue of a damn good Notary is VERY important. For one thing inheritance law is not the same here.

Two things you don't mention Robonline and may well be relevant, is how old you are and under what category are you coming here.
Working? Self sufficient? or other?

Also you need to be aware that homes out here can feel very cold and damp during the 'winter' months. There is no central heating, no insulation or any other comforts you may be used to.
Measures can be taken and it can be comfortable, you just need to know and do things differently here.

All of the suggestions are relevant and very very important for bith to agree Red..... just some more so than others on a personal level - and yes i take your point on the health /return to homeland for support - of course - we have both discussed this too but we are happy to do whatever we have to should the inevitable happen sooner than expected.

also never forget a malta based will.. in addition to the uk one.

Another thing against buying in Malta is that unless you are aiming top end you will have very close neighbours, above ,below and attached. The Maltese are a very noisy race, they don't talk they SHOUT all the time. They will walk about on bare floors in high heels (even the females will). They will scream at the children when talking. Any dog they own all bark time. Walls are single brick and attached to next door so all noise travels.
Most properties are not double glazed although new properties may be. All his means if you rent you can move, if you buy you will be stuck until you can sell and that may be along time!

Terry

They also have complicated inheritance laws!

I wouldnt say complicated, just different to the UK - they are based on French law, and a will has to be "fair" - unlike the UK, you cant leave all your assets to one person

By assets do you mean immovable property?

georgeingozo wrote:

I wouldnt say complicated, just different to the UK - they are based on French law, and a will has to be "fair" - unlike the UK, you cant leave all your assets to one person

And that sticks in one's throat.
Why one person cannot do what they choose with their assets in any way they see fit.

And why property is left empty while children fall out and argue over what to do with it!

oh, I agree, far prefer the UK system

Well, that's it folks. You've put us off buying and the list of pitfalls to avoid while renting is frightening.
Combine that with the dirth of properly insulated and heated properties, lack of off-lead dog walking places, costs of moving and buying, undesired inheritance rules ... and it looks like we're staying put for the foreseeable future.
I'll just turn the heating up a bit more.
Thank you to everyone who contributed. It won't stop us visiting Malta again sometime.

I walk my dogs twice a day off the lead, you just have to live in the right places

Oh no, our aim is not to stop you living the dream but to point out things to bear in mind.

Try it, if you don't you will always think "what if"

Terry

That's why ourselves went for the rental market.
In buying two properties in St Julian's and Sliema.
There holiday homes to us and customers and generates income all year round. If were to live in Malta, it would be about three months of the year, if we were to come for long stay. But the property market is starting to grow and prices are going up.
So was it good investment we made in 2009.?

MalteseCross wrote:

But the property market is starting to grow and prices are going up.

its certainly growing - what is it, 80,000 empty properties and more being built. As for prices going up, not what I'm seeing

I've noticed around St Julian's area old properties been done up and from checking real estate agents prices are going up.
There is and extra €10,000 added value on to ours since 2009.
The countryside may be different.

That's the asking price, not the same as selling price!

and it doesnt guarantee a sale either many properties are on the market for yrs....

rental market prices seem to be holding their own or reducing...

i agree with others here - we are not trying to put you or anyone else off - but ensuring that you are prepared for what the market is here... and these guys are all weathered residents living here and have made their mistakes and know what to avoid - forewarned is forearmed.. :Lots of research and good local information makes for much better decision making....

Realistic research and prior planning are the key.
No good feeding anyone a line and that would be unethical/dishonest.
Those who have made the move have overcome what some see as pitfalls. The slight discomfort during 'winter' months is by far offset by the rest of the year.
What this thread has shown, yet again, is that one has to be realistic.
Too many people come here on a 'wing and a prayer' and find out later, to their cost, that Malta is not for them.
No two ways; either love it or hate it.
Best wishes and good luck.

Micks absolutely right.

This is  a reality and there are pitfalls that people need to be aware of but there is so much to offset the negatives.

Malta and to a point Gozo has changed a lot in a relatively short time and although are eu members and are to follow the same rules they sometimes don't or allow for bending of some and housing is definitely different to many other eu countries.

I walk my dog off the lead as well but that's because I chose the optimum area to do this I found a lovely quiet appartment because I visited for a couple of months before choosing, I rent for this year and will probably stay as I love the area but I nearly rented half a mile away and would actually have found this place untenable because of evening noise and  the steps outside being a waterfall in the rain.

You really need to come and perhaps have a short rental before making the move a permanent one. We adore it but we don't let much bother us and have healthy senses of humour.

If anyone is put off so easily by some of the above perhaps you weren't ready to make the move in the first place?

The only thing we miss is family and friends but with Ryanairs €15  3 hour flights there's a lot  of 2 way traffic already!

georgeingozo wrote:

I queried that with our Notary who is drawing up our wills. I am informed I can leave everything to Lynn and she to me. However, I will double double check before anything is finalised next week.
(Not that we have any immovable property here; just possessions and money.)

yes, you can do that with your partner under Maltese law, its when you leave things to others the fairness issue comes in

Always good to have good notary/solicitor in Malta.
And a solicitor in your homeland.

Agreed, we have both.

I guess we were a bit naive when we started hoping a move to Malta would be as straight-forward as a move in the UK. At first my internet searches revealed just the positive aspects of living there. Then I started to unearth the technicalities and legal processes involved. It wasn't until I found this site that truths and experiences began to put flesh on the bones, so to speak.
Maybe, when we take another holiday in Malta, we'll do some focussed searching instead of just 'being on holiday'. If we could get to meet and talk to any of you over a drink while there we'd be more than happy to.

That's the best idea and before you arrive write down what you want or expect from any move. Once you get to Malta on Holiday you can run through the list and do some research and viewings.
It will give you a better understanding of how it will fit with what you want.
Remember that paradise does not exist, everything in life is a compromise the only decision you need to make is how much you are willing to compromise!

Good luck
           Terry