Brazil tourism visa, inquiry about passport validity

Hi all,

I have a question about the 6-month passport validity.
I am planning to arrive in Rio on 07/12/2013 and leave on the 25/12/2013.
I am travelling from Montreal, CA with my Egyptian Passport which expires 07/05/2014.
Any chance I will be refused to enter the country and forced to return back?

Regards,

Rami

Hi Rami,

Your passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months following the date of entry to Brazil; so yes they may very will refuse entry, but not necessarily so. I'd recommend obtaining a new passport anyway.

Since Egypt is NOT a country that has a Visa Waiver Program you will also require at least a VITUR Tourist Visa in order to enter Brazil, you cannot enter the country with just your passport. If you're applying for a visa, they will not issue one on a passport that has anything less than 6 months validity remaining.

If you have not already got a visa you will need to obtain one through the Brazilian Embassy in Cairo (see link):

http://cairo.itamaraty.gov.br/pt-br/

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

Hi,
I've already obtained my tourist visa.
I had to change dates due to work. And if I wanted to renew my passport, it will take at least 2 months (time they spend documents from montreal to Cairo back)
I have my return ticket, my accommodation confirmation.
The only hick is with the 6-month validity.
Is there any circumstances that would guarantee my entry?

I really can't say for sure, since it will be up to the individual Federal Police agent who you deal with at the airport. If you've been to Bazil before then you will probably have no problem. If not, then it's anybody's guess.

Cheers,

I doubt that it will take 2 months for you to obtain a new passport. You should be able to renew your Egypt passport at the Egyptian Embassy or Consulate in Canada.

I know that I've always renewed my Canadian passport here in Brazil and it is issued within 20 days. Have you checked with your Embassy?

I can't read Arabic, but you should check out the Egypt Consulate-General in Montreal webpage, perhaps it contains information about renewal of passports while in Canada.

http://www.egyptianconsulatemontreal.org/

Cheers,

I know for fact because that's what I had to go through to renew it last time :S.
Thank you very much William for your help.
It is much appreciated.

I can tell you that when a customs agent in the US or Canada scans your passport biographical data page all the information is populated on the agents screen any programmed checks that check for flags (validity, watch list, etc.) are processed within seconds. The officer will get a warning pop-up. I'm willing to bet it is the same in Brazil. When I left Brazil last time I watched through the reflection of the glass window, the pop up that came up -assumibly the overstay notice.

The visa truthfully they didn't look at for all but a second, probably to verify I have one. The expiration date is non existent on mine just 10 years from the date of issue which causes mass confusion when I leave the USA because the airline thinks it already expired.

Brazil is behind the times bus I guess I would like to think they value their national security and thoroughly enjoy making everyone's life miserable - my advice is to assume they have the technology, which I'm sure they do if they issue e-passports now.

Well that's a bumper, anyway I greatly appreciate your help a lot guys.
Regards,