Great news on Quarantine period :)

Hi all,
I have also added this link to "bringing your pets into Mauritius" but thought I would do this as well for ease of viewing quickly.

This is great news for all bringing their pets here :)

Click on link, local French Newspaper but wait a while and google translates it into English.

http://www.lexpress.mu/article/animaux- … ne-reduite

So so Pleased :)

Great news but looks as if I will have to wait a month due to rabies in South Africa :P

korn1 wrote:

Great news but looks as if I will have to wait a month due to rabies in South Africa :P

Well it's much better than the usual 3 months quarantine for animals from South Africa :)
And maybe the quarantine will be reduced more for SA pets :)

Oh yes I agree :D

Good-Day

Can you please tell me what what quarantine period is for dogs from South Africa

Regard
Petronella Wood

petronellaisabella wrote:

Good-Day

Can you please tell me what what quarantine period is for dogs from South Africa

Regard
Petronella Wood

The answer is in an above post ;) Also if you click on the link in the first post it has more details - I am unable to open link as poor internet connection today, But I am sure it is now one month/30 days, it used to be 3 months/90 days
:)

Thank you so much. Much appreciated

I hope so. That will be fantastic, then i can start to relax and  start to forward to our  2 year stay in Mauritius.

I will try and get translation from link

Thank you.
Petronella

Hallo

Please canan you explain what you mean when you say google will translate it.

When I click on it, it remains in French.

Many thanks

Go here http://translate.google.com/ and paste the text

or use Google Chrome browser, hope that helps you

regards

Frenchie

Hi frenchie

Thank you

Regards

Petronella

Since facilities for rabies test are not available on the island . It will have to be done prior to arrival or blood sample taken in MRU and sent back to SA for test at your cost . So the days spent in Quarantine is a question of how many days for the results.

Since facilities for rabies test are not available on the island . It will have to be done prior to arrival or blood sample taken in MRU and sent back to SA for test at your cost . So the days spent in Quarantine is a question of how many days for the results.

Hello Rodney
So it means if we do the rabies tests prior to arrival and tests are  negative no need for dogs to be
in quarantine for 30 days                     

Thank you

Regards

Petronella

Yes but Need to be done by an approved vet acceptable by the Mauritian Authority . Anyway u will have to fill in the required docs and its better to start the procedures long before time of departure fro SA.

Roddy1959 wrote:

As far as I know and I have rung and checked this out -

When your dog or cat arrives in Mauritius, it will arrive with all results from all the required blood tests, it will remain in Quarantine and watched for signs of any illness.

They do not take blood from your dog/Cat to do a Rabies test as all the tests have already been done.

The quarantine period is simply for them to see if your pet becomes ill or shows any signs of Rabies, but as I said you arrive with all results of the blood tests including Rabies.

Also if you are from the EU then your pet only has to stay in quarantine for 5 days, not long enough to take blood and get sent away for results.

So I don't know who told you that they take blood from your pet upon arrival?

When you come to Mauritius with your pet, you must remember to get the yearly or 2 yearly booster done at your local vets for Rabies, as long as this is done then you will have an up to date pet passport/papers and have no trouble returning to your own Country.

Jax09 wrote:

Hallo

Please canan you explain what you mean when you say google will translate it.

When I click on it, it remains in French.

Many thanks

Hi,
When I open the link, I get a google bar at the top which says " would you like to translate this into English" I simply click yes and its translated.

Good luck :)

Hi

Thank you for the valuable information. It helps a lot

I would appreciate very much if you can forward me the forms and info you got.

I need to find out  from  them whether my 3 small doggies can be put together in one kennel. Its going to be traumatic if the get seperated from each other.

They 9 years old and so attached to each other. That is my biggest concern at the moment i hope and pray that can be done. I am truly greatfull for all the information i received.

Much appreciated

Warmest Regards
Petronella

Hi

Thank you for the valuable information. It helps a lot

I would appreciate very much if you can forward me the forms and info you got.

I need to find out  from  them whether my 3 small doggies can be put together in one kennel. Its going to be traumatic if the get seperated from each other.

They 9 years old and so attached to each other. That is my biggest concern at the moment i hope and pray that can be done. I am truly greatfull for all the information i received.

Much appreciated

Warmest Regards
Petronella

Hi,

I will need your email address so I can send the forms, best to PM me it.

You can have all your 3 dogs in one kennel, just make sure you book a large kennel with run, does not cost that much more but means they also have a run to play in.

If you see from my post on Bringing your pet to Mauritius by Julian, you will notice I was bringing 3 dogs also but sadly one died the day before she flew, but I still kept the large kennel, read my post on the kennel and the rooms.
:)

This is true if you have enough time to do all the test before you arrive .Which is a very long process .This is one of the reason for the review the quarantine period .Otherwise some may have to leave their pets behind . Of course your  normal vaccination program must be up to date .I know what am talking of for having gone through...... they cant test for rabies on the island for the time being .There are  no rabies on the island .....

All dogs arriving the same day can/and will be put in one Kennel unless they are not used to be together .

Roddy,You are concerning me with some of the information that you are giving out as I know it is not correct :(

ALL PETS HAVE TO GO INTO QUARANTINE UPON ARRIVAL INTO MAURITIUS

DOGS HAVE TO HAVE THE REQUIRED VACCINATIONS/RABIES AND THEN MUST HAVE NEGATIVE RESULTS BEFORE THEY CAN ENTER MAURITIUS.

In reply to your 2 current postings above:

When you fill in the permit of entry form, you can request size of kennel, as there are 3 or 4 sizes of kennels.

Not sure many people know this as I have seen large dog in a small kennel and a little one in a big kennel with a run ;)

When we were bringing 3, we were asked if they could share a kennel or would we like separate kennels for them.One family I met with 2 dogs had separate kennels on their request as their dogs tended to fight when put together.

They have to know in advance before arrival if you want your dogs to share a kennel together as kennels are run on a booking system, otherwise if you don't request a kennel for them all together, and they don't have a spare one then the dogs will be put into an individual kennel

This was the rule 8 days ago when I was visiting, unless you know different?

The reason the quarantine period was reduced was because all pets entering Mauritius have to have had all the required vaccinations and blood tests and negative results,  but again I have to repeat the above - your pets have to have all the required vaccinations/Rabies and negative results BEFORE they are allowed on the Island.

It is because of these required tests etc that the quarantine period has been reduced, as the chance of them carrying any of the diseases/rabies is NIL

Allow 6 weeks before you travel here to complete all the required vaccinations/results.

But people if you are unsure of any of the procedure ring the ladies in the Import/quarantine office, they are lovely and friendly and will give you the correct advice.

Telephone: 230 4541016 or 454017

I will go to the Quarantine offices next week and shall double check this information and see if any changes have been made to the Import form, if so then I will get a copy to have at hand.

Roddy1959 wrote:

This is true if you have enough time to do all the test before you arrive .Which is a very long process .This is one of the reason for the review the quarantine period .Otherwise some may have to leave their pets behind . Of course your  normal vaccination program must be up to date .I know what am talking of for having gone through...... they cant test for rabies on the island for the time being .There are  no rabies on the island .....

Our friends who recently came from SA ran out of time with their dogs and had to leave the dogs with a family member until all test results came back and then they flew the dogs to Mauritius unaccompanied and our friends waited at Quarantine to welcome them :)

Apart from your pet having had all its "normal" vaccinations, Mauritius requests other vaccinations and blood tests.

Rosiewestie wrote:

Apart from your pet having had all its "normal" vaccinations, Mauritius requests other vaccinations and blood tests.

What tests are these?

frenchieg wrote:

What tests are these?

Hi,

Apart from rabies there are 3 other blood tests to take- SAT for Brucella canis Ab, IFAT for canine ehrlichiosis Ab , RSA for Brucella canis Ab

Your dogs yearly vaccinations must be up to date and check with the vet that they include the following; Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis and Parvovirus as not all do. They must have these.

If you read the post started by Julien, you will see all the information that you need on it, it is very long but very informative, page 2 has more up to date information on especially from Amy who earlier this year brought her dog from the UK to here and has recently returned with her dog to the UK.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 029#466716

And again I cannot stress enough, ring Telephone: 230 4541016 or 454017, the people in this office are very approachable and helpful and have all the official up to date information on bringing your pet into Mauritius.

Hope this has answered your question - have a good weekend :)

Good-Day Rosiewestie

Thank you for inform us with correct information.  Much appreciated!.

I dont want anything to go wrong.  I need my doggies with me. They been my doggie children for  9 years.  I am definately going going to book big kennel with.  The three of them need to be together. They so attached to each and wont make it  if you separate them

Kind Regards

Petronella

Good-Day Rosiewestie

Thank you for inform us with correct information.  Much appreciated!.

I dont want anything to go wrong.  I need my doggies with me. They been my doggie children for  9 years.  I am definately going going to book big kennel with.  The three of them need to be together. They so attached to each and wont make it  if you separate them

Kind Regards

Petronella

I feel the same about my doggie babies :)

To be absolutely sure of anything you are not sure about ring the lovely ladies Telephone: 230 4541016 or 454017

I am also sure that you may find a vet who has previously sent dogs to Mauritius or knows another vet who has, also our vet in the UK who had not shipped to Mauritius before rang the Vet Council and got the correct proceedure for all the vaccinations required.

I am sure all will go well and your doggies will be with you here on this lovely Island :)

Rosiewestie wrote:
frenchieg wrote:

What tests are these?

Hi,

Apart from rabies there are 3 other blood tests to take- SAT for Brucella canis Ab, IFAT for canine ehrlichiosis Ab , RSA for Brucella canis Ab

Thank you "Rosie", very informative.

Just posted this on another posting but thought it best I post on here as well.

Hi Guys,
Just a quick update on the current quarantine regulations.

A friend's cat has just arrived from SA and she thought it would just be in quarantine for one month, but quarantine have informed her, the 3 month rule is still applying until they get the signed papers from the relevant government dept, saying quarantine been cut to 30 days from SA and 5 days from UK.

This may change over the next week or so, so will you all informed.

Have a good weekend :)

Hi There,

Hope you are well? Thank you for the information. So just that i can understand..SA doggies and cats if for 30days in qaurantine or up to 30days? Please can you also provide my with the forms or site where I can find the forms.

Have a look at rosiewestie writes here https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 29#466716. hope that helps you. Good luck.

Maricke wrote:

Hi There,

Hope you are well? Thank you for the information. So just that i can understand..SA doggies and cats if for 30 days in quarantine or up to 30 days? Please can you also provide my with the forms or site where I can find the forms.

So in a nutshell - friend's cat from SA arrived at quarantine - she expected cat to be in there for 30 days but has been told it is still 3 months - as Official papers reducing quarantine has not been signed off by the Government.

To enable me to send you the import form and notes that I have, I need your email address - please PM me with it,
My forms etc are over 2 years old but I am told that they are still in operation, will check again after Christmas.

Have a good Christmas :)

Hi, thanx for your reply...this 3months qaurantine makes me worry more now. I cant do this to my kidz. I realy cant see that for the other countries its 5working days but for SA 3months..this is really stupid. I have been coming to Mauritius for the last 5 years and the animals there look heartbreaking and nobody do anything about that..but SA have to cope with 3months qaurantine. OMW!! My email: [email protected].

Thank you for all your kindness
Merry Christmas to you.

What do they ask for 2doggies in a running kennel cage per day or month?

Any news about qaurantine time reduced for SA doggies and cats??

Sorry not yet had time to go to Reduit Quarantine as have visitors here since 20th December, last ones returned home on Saturday 18th, so now trying to catch up with emails etc.

I have just rung the Quarantine and have been told to ring back on Wednesday for more information.

As soon as I find out I will let you know.

I have also emailed you the forms and notes that I have re quarantine for your pets.

Apologies and kind regards.

Any new news on quaritine time for SA?

Any new news on qaurintine time for SA doggies?

Good-day Maricka

The pet transportation company  thats handling my 3 doggies  told me  two weeks ago quarentine period changed to one month.

My doggies going over 24 June. We  going over 15th June

Regards

Petronella

Hi there

just want to find out..how was the experience with your doggies in qauritene and are they well? I am still in a rattle about my two JRussels, cause they are very sensitive and use to alot of love and attention.  I am so afraid of doing harm to them. Have you any photos of the qauritene?  Is it a month now?

Thanks Maricke