Kennitala

I will arrive in Iceland the 29th of December. I will stay in Iceland for at least two years, probably longer if all goes well, so I guess I will have to register for legal permanent residency. I have found a job already btw.

I was wondering how long it will take to obtain my Kennitala? I will stay in a guesthouse the first 8 days but I hope to find a rental apartment in the first week but I understand you need a Kennitala first, the same applies to open a bank account and to buy a car. That's why I am asking for your experiences on how to obtain a Kennitala.

Also if I buy a car, how long does it take before I have a license plate and insurance?

Thanks for your help

Glenn

Hallo , I am living part time now in Reykjavik . I had really good service getting a bank account and Kennitala through Islandsbanki. You can contact them by phone or e-mail and they will give you the info and requirements to open an Icelandic bank account for foreigners and they will send in an app. for the Kennitala once the account is opened . The bank account took about two weeks including mailing original info from the US and than about two more weeks for the Kennitala .

Finding a rental in one week might be a challenge unless you already have a place in mind or know someone,I know the rental market in Reykjavik is a tough one , I ended up buying an apartment because I am in Iceland regularly and could not find any reasonable  places to rent.  Rent now has risen just in the last several months and there is a line of people always looking for available places. Every time I am in Iceland  numerous people ask if I am renting my place but my days as a landlord are over .

unless rules have changed drastically, the bank generally doesn't apply for your kennitala. It's done by your employer.

Mine took about a month to get but I've heard stories of it taking up to six months. That was someone who was in a small town not accustomed to dealing with immigrants though! In Reykjavik it should be shorter.

As Mkay said though, finding a place to rent in a week is optimistic, but if you are reading through rental sites regularly and calling the instant a new listing appears, you might be lucky. Given that most rentals are on a small scale (i.e. no rental agencies), you should be able to work something out with the landlord if you don't have a kennitala on day 1. They already know most of the digits in it anyway.

Thanks for the info. I won't be living in Reykjavik but in Keflavik. I already have had some contacts to help me find a rental place. I'm not really worried about that yet. I'm more worried about not being able to buy a car right away as the rental costs are so high and I really need a car for work.