Pets in Malaysia

Hi, my name is Kat. I have been to Malaysia several times as my parents used to live there and I have lived extensively in other parts of Asia before so I am quite familiar with the various cultures and traditions. However, when we lived in Asia and had pets, we also had massive gardens. I am moving to KL towards the end of the year and will live in a condo. While I am rather familiar with the administration details of bringing your pet over to KL, I am more concerned about taking my dog for walks on the streets. I will of course pick up after him , as I do here, but I don't know how Malaysians would react seeing my dog do his business in the streets. I would not want to offend them.

. Can anybody give me details about this? ;) Thanks guys

Hi there,

I have 2 dogs in Malaysia and I would recommend that you put your dog on the line ....having a dog in Malaysia is normal and everyone seems to be taking their dog for a walk every evening but since we live together with Malays its better to keep the dog in your compound and on a line while taking the dog out just to respect the other culture....have a splendid time in Malaysia ..:))

Hi Kat

I would agree with shantha77 on that. Best to have your dog in your compound but since you're going to live in a condo, you might want to check with the condo administration first if pets are allowed. Some allow live in pets whereas some don't. Also if you need to take your dog out on the streets go somewhere that ppl don't really walk by. You are not required to clean up after your pet on the streets here but its always best to not let your pet dirty other ppl's front yards = )

Shantha77 and Aly81 thank you very much to both, for your advise. It will :)be duely noted. I will be in KL in August to do some territory recovery, so that when I come to settle I am better prepared. Yes I have been told about the difficulties of having a dog in a condo, but apparently that can negociated with the owner, so hopefully all will go well. Please if you think of anything else you think I should know regarding pets,  do share with me. :) Thank you very much and have a great day in KL. Kat

We have a 4 yr old Beagle that we regularly walk in the Bukit Kiara area. It is very green in this area. We always pick up after him and do not hesitate to walk him through the streets on a lead. Be very careful of the drivers though. There is also a dog friendly park behind Utama 1 shopping center that is very popular on weekends.

Thank you so much csavasc. One more info that is definately going to help me a lot! I will check out the park for sure! :)

Kat,
I will suggest you to get a license for your dog if your neighborhood has a majority of Malays' residents.

In Malaysia, the authority has the right to expropriate or give u a summon if they found that your dog is not registered under the local council.

Sometimes, they might be some people are bad-heartened, will lodge a complaint to the council (especially you are living in a condo). The council can have a spot check when they get any complaints toward your dog.

Wow! Ok for sure that's something I will definately do. Thank you very much. K

Hi!

Just remember, it's illegal to keep a dog in a condo unit if you are above the second floor and wild / homeless dogs are shot in the streets in Malaysia - so make sure your dog doesn't go off alone...  Most people agree it's cruel to keep larger dogs inside condo units - hopefully you have a small dog :)

Yes I have a small dog. It is a lhassa apso and I will not be moving into any accommodation unless my dog is accepted so I will have to negociate that with the owner I take it. Once again thank you so much for letting me know about this matter. Much appreciated :)

Take care

Hi All- I will be moving to KL also in a few months and would like to know if anyone has used a pet relocation service. I am coming from the US and have a very small dog (chihuahua- 6lbs) and an trying to decide if I should leave him with family instead. I am wondering if the trip would be too taxing on him. Any advice regarding pet travel, services, experience...?

Hi Kylsznn,
I would highly recommend this pet relocation service. We relocated from Indianapolis to KL with our 4 yr old Beagle 18mths ago. I would say Max got better treatment than we did on his flights. He traveled via Chicago and Amsterdam (rest stop) & then on to KL with KLM on their pet transport flight. He arrived happy & well and the people concerned took the utmost care of him. Everything from advice on vaccinations to collecting him and delivery right to our front door after 7 days quarantine. Wonderful service. This was done via my company, so no idea of the associated charges. Good luck.

Ross Scheintaub
WorldCare Pet Transport LLC   
Tel # 631-751-2297
Direct # 631-343-2428
Fax# 631-751-3171
www. WorldCarePet.com
e-mail: [email protected], [email protected]
Offices: USA, United Kingdom, China, Japan, Brazil

Member of the Independent Pet and Animal Transport Association International
Member of the Employee Relocation Council

Wow people love talking about their animals. I enjoy looking at all kinds of animals as long as they dont pee on bikes, walls and cars and please pick after them the smell is awful and just looking at the logs makes me cover my nose. JW

Hi, I have 2 lovely German Shepherds that I love and my husband looks like being transfered to Malaysia for a year, which is great but I would like to take the dogs. What's the story? keen to know about suitable accomodation and if they are at risk of being stolen and turned into dinner?

Hi, Malaysia is definitely a better place to have dogs, there isnt any dogmeat eating culture in malaysia unlike in Vietnam....best of luck in Malaysia

Hi all, my wife and me are going to be relocated in Miri, Malaysia, and I would really like to bring my minipinsher and my dobermann along with us.   Apart for the travel, that will not be easy, I'm mostly concerned for my dog's safety once there, does anyone knows what can I expect in Miri?   Are they going to try to eat my dogs???

Thanks for the help,
Giulio.

No worries about Miri. Many friendly people there.

If it's true that they shoot dogs in the streets, why would even bother to consider such a backward, compassionless dump as a country to take your dogs to?. Oriental countries do not care about animals as Westerners do, they have no serious animal rights. We have three dogs, and my husband was offered a job in Malaysia, if he gets it, he will only work there for a year, and me and dogs will remain in Europe until he is done. There's not way I'm taking my dogs to a country with third-world mentality towards animals. I would not risk their lives or their well-being. Germany is one of the most dog-friendly nations, as is Austria, Switzerland etc.
My suggestion is to stick to the civilized nations.
I lived in Hawaii for three years and was disgusted by how animals are treated there. Supposedly, the locals don't eat dog meat, yet we noticed, when we stayed on the West side of Oahu for a month, that the neighbours were breeding dogs in cages - Poi dogs they call them, (Poi means "food"). There were also numerous cases of dogs being kidnapped and sold to restaurants as legal meat (ie pork or chicken etc). It's illegal, but the locals sick together and do what they want to do. Most of these so-called "locals" are of oriental descent (Asians as you call them). Malaysians are not much different, it's all the same kind of mentality. Be very, very careful with your pets if you do take them!. My dogs like to go hiking in places where they can run free for a while. I'd never move to a place where they are forced to remain tethered, confined to a postage stamp yard, or kept on a lead all the time!.

malaysia is a 3rd world country, so why does your husband want to work in a 3rd world country? why doesnt he just stay in uk and work there? is it because there are so many unemplyed in the uk?
i am sure, no one put a gun to his head to work in malaysia

Farmolly777,

As part of the Asian community, I find your post offensive. Not all Asians eat dog. This is in reference to your ignorant generalization of the behaviour of Asian countries.

Your suggestion is to stick to the civilized nations? Your words do not sound very civilized to me. But then again my definition of "civilized" could be different from yours.

I recently moved to KL with my husband who is from the UK. I am from the Philippines. We've been thinking about getting a dog, except we were told that getting permission to get a dog is going to be a very difficult process. I have a 9-year old minipin in the Philippines, but because my 56-year old mother had grown to love that dog, I left him with her and decided I was just going to get a dog here. I did my due diligence and did some research on getting a pet here in KL. I did read some very interesting articles about the locals' attitude towards dogs. And it's not what you think.

The dominant religion in Malaysia is Islam. The articles I read talked about how Muslims cannot touch a dog when it's wet, a dog's saliva and can only pet it when it's dry. Apparently, the majority of Muslims consider dogs to be ritually unclean and so touching a dog means having to do a whole ritual of washing hands and praying. This being a religious belief and practice, should be respected. So we decided not to get a dog because we didn't want to offend anybody since we are not from here and we are co-habiting with the Malaysians and thus will respect their rules. This is not to say that all Malaysians are Muslims. It is only to say that the majority always wins.

Yes some Asian countries do eat dog meat and even cat meat. But the numbers aren't as bad as you think enough to generalize and insult every Asian country you can name.

"Most of these so-called "locals" are of oriental descent (Asians as you call them). Malaysians are not much different, it's all the same kind of mentality." May I ask, what is a "third-world mentality" ? As you seem to be an expert on the subject.

Japan is a first world country. The Japanese are Asians or "Orientals" as you refer to them. See what I mean about generalization?

Let's be mindful of our words, lest we offend somebody.

Hi all,

Please can you calm down and stick to the initial topic!

P.S Please note that this topic is from 2010.

Regards,

David.

its just sad when there is so much garbage in your own house and you bicker about the neighbours cleanliness?