To those who want to start a self-employed activity/a business

I was told about Business First, a one-stop-shop for setting up your own activities as a self-employed person or a business.

I don't know the details for businesses, but for a self-employed person, they will get you the social security number, your VAT number, your tax registration number, and the registration with ETC - all this free of charge. This saves you the hassle of going to four different places.

They are in Guardamangia (Pieta), in the old St Luke's hospital, and were recommended to me by John Huber.

http://www.businessfirst.com.mt/en

I have been at the Business Fist offices couple of weeks ago and they are really helpful and knowledgeable.

On Tuesday mornings they have a MEPA representative who can help with permits as well.

Did they also help you with bank contacts?

Excellent link, my wife intends to start her own business when we get there in Jan..

Great piece of information nilonilonilo, thanks ;)

I haven't been yet myself, too much work, but will do so soon - will keep you upated :)

(so Michael78, i don't know for the bank info)

What do you mean by bank contacts?

They can not help opening an account.

I had the impression that they have information and can help only with government regulated issues. I was asking about commercial rentals, I they did not have any statistics or contacts, etc.

pevi wrote:

I have been at the Business Fist offices couple of weeks ago and they are really helpful and knowledgeable.

On Tuesday mornings they have a MEPA representative who can help with permits as well.

this is a gov agency or you pay for a meeting?

I went there last Wednesday (on Wednesdays they are open till 7pm). The person I spoke to (James) was very helpful and knowledgeable.
The info session is offered free of charge. However, if you decide to proceed with your plans and want to seek their services, an adviser is assigned to you and will give you a 10-hour consultation service (split over several sessions) free of charge. I didn't ask about their rates once the 10 hours are used up. I think that 10 hours should suffice as most of the work has to be done by me and not by 'my' adviser.

So, with regard to the advisers' fees, I had a quick look at the Business First website and found this document: http://www.maltaenterprise.com/sites/de … 02.00.pdf. Info about their fees may be found on page 7.
I hope you all find this info useful, ad good luck with your ventures.

chseychell, ...link can not be opened

Post removed by user.

Duxx, here's the link again...this time shortened. I hope it works.
http://bit.ly/1b6bMSk

GavinGillard, don't let the size of your enterprise be a hurdle, they will help you even if you go with a small idea as long as it is feasible and profit making.
They will not give you advice on where to get stock. They are there to guide you through the read tape and paperwork. I've been there last week as well as yesterday. And I will go there on Wednesday to finalise the legal documents.

Post removed by user.

i would suggest you go there with a set of questions. this shows that you are really interested. the meetings are quite informal. once there, ask about tax credits, i had some good news yesterday ... i was told that i am eligible for a 40% refund on equipment i bought for my commercial activity. so besides their advice, i will get back some hard-earned cash, which i will re-invest.

Post removed by user.