Travel to Vietnam

I am moving to Vietnam next month from Chiang Mai;will rent a property in Hoi An.
I will need to travel by road via Laos,and I understand,if have own van,no problem to enter,but van needs to be out of country in 30 days - correct ?
Any advice on van hire ,if this is the best option ? Would need a driver to take vehicle out of country,once unpacked.
Any other advice ? Travelling reasonably light (small van) as moving to a furnished property.
Thanks

Hi cade,

Welcome to expat-blog!

Your thread has been moved to the Hanoi forum for better views and interaction.

I suggest you to post an advert in the Personal driver job opportunities in Hanoi section, this might help you find a driver and a vehicles.

Posting an advert in the Housing in Hanoi section might be helpful in your accommodation search.

Regards,

David.

Expat-blog team.

I do not know about entering Vietnam with a van but you should check with customs and immigration regarding entering Laos.
You will have to have the registration / ownership papers for the vehicle and have some sort of insurance cover whilst crossing Laos.
A few forms to fill out at border.

Cade,

Get in touch with a Laotian travel agent in your area and inquire about the one-way bus ticket to Hoi An, or Da Nang (which is a bigger city nearby).  If you can find one, it will be far cheaper than hiring a van. 

You might even want to explore flying to Da Nang one-way, for it might even be cheaper and less taxing than a van ride.

If all fail, shop around for the van.  The fee will be high because of documentations (not all Laotian vans are permitted to enter and exit Vietnam), and they will charge you, along with gas for the return trip.

Best,
Howie

you mean van is mini van ( 16 seater car) to travel in Vietnam? i think you should hire a VAN with driver in Vietnam. it's the best way. Find some car rental company, i only know http://www.vietnamairporttransfer.com. See on their website, have the limousine van look good.

If you hire van and drive by yourself, I thinks it's difficult when you travel in Vietnam. Formally, you can hire a van with their driver, but the price is rather high. I think you should book a tour of a travel agency in Hoi An or Da Nang, that's cheaper. I recommend you some interesting places, then you can search for more informations
2 days in Hanoi : visit Old quarter – a traditional & cultured place
2 days in Sapa: trekking, stay overnight in minority villages
2 days in Halong Bay: kayaking, discover thousands of  limestones karsts, isles and caves
2 days in Hue: with the old city and the Citadel on the north side and the newer city, including most hotels and restaurants, on the south side
2 days in Hoi An: once known as Faifo, with more than 2,000 years history
1 day in Da Nang. From here, you can discover Ho Chi Minh Trails & central Highlands (include DaLat) by motorbike with 5 days or more
2 days in Saigon: city & Cu Chi tunnels
1 day in Mekong Delta: a maze of small canals, rivers and arroyos interspersed with villages and floating markets.
2 days in Phu Quoc. you can snorkeling to see colourful coral, or fishing cuttle at night beside discovering wonderful islands, beautiful beaches. To the North of Island, have national forest Phu Quoc, you can trekking and discover Da Ban stream & Tranh stream. Specialities you should try that's sea urchin, herring salad with coconut.