Apartments - how to calculate apartment size in China

Hello Together,

I am currently searching for an apartment and after visiting some apartments I have the feeling that the size of the apartments in China has to be calculated in another way than in Germany, for example.
The given sizes of the apartments in squaremeters are always much bigger than the apartment looks like.
Could somebody please explain how to get the size of an apartment.

Thanks for.your help.

Hi PhysioW,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

You should post an advert in the Housing in Suzhou section pls :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

1 ping = 3.3 square meters.

Often they calculate the balconies as part of apartment's over-all size as well.

Kris

Guten Abend

Ich bin Jenny.

You cannt only consider the size of appartment,but also need to check where you will rent.

Like in SIP,the area is very important,you will find the appartment where close to Time square and Jinji Lake are more expensive than the other area

(Moderated: no free ad pls)

I know about that but I'm just wondering about the big given sizes that are in real much smaller.

Hallo,

I am native from Suzhou, and knows details about the calculation of the sizes.  I am currently live and work in Eschborn Germany, and can be contacted via mobile +49 1733 6464 00 or email [email protected]

My house is free and would consider to rent to nice people, due to my relocation to Germany.

Let me know how I could assist you.

Thank you.
Yin

Hello PhysioW,

I have a 90sqm-apartment and I actually have 70 sqm (including balconies). This calculation is unclear and depends on apartment buildings (location and  standard, for instance : with/without elevators, etc.). You won't be wrong by estimating that you will get 70-75% of what you pay for (80% if you are lucky). They say that the remaining 25-30% is public place (stairs...). The fact is that this public place belongs to nobody, or more accurately to everybody (including strangers). Everybody has the right to damage it, stick ads, write numbers on the walls, litter in the stairs, etc. It sucks when you think that you waste something like 200,000-400,000 RMB depending on the city and the 'size' of your apartment : TIC. Well, when you sell the apartment, you also sell this surface. To make it simple, let's assume a chinese sqm equals 75% of an international sqm. Or RMB1 spent to buy a house in China costs RMB1.3 :-)
Finally as a German, you wonder about that issue (so did I) : the Chinese never do !!!
Hope it helps !
马克

Thank you MaKe, your answer helped me a lot and makes it much clearer!