Motor bike mods

What are the laws/rules regarding Motorbike modifications?
I just saw a scary looking chopper style bike on TV, ( VTC 14 ), but it still had a small motor.
I know with rear luggage racks, etc, they are not supposed to be any wider than the distance from mirror to mirror, ( this may explain why the bikes with those huge baskets on either side, don't have mirrors?)
  I would like to extend my handlebars, ( and cables, etc , where necessary ), I get a sore back from leaning forward , but I don't want to have to buy a road bike.

Does anyone know why so many bicycle riders in VN sit behind the seat instead of on it?

If there are any, no one seems to care... You see some pretty souped up bikes here.

milkybunnyHCM wrote:

If there are any, no one seems to care... You see some pretty souped up bikes here.

Yes probably with Vn's owning/riding them, but you know how we Foreigners attract attention, where I live, must be the only place in VN that has banned m/b trailers, ( yet I see them in use all around here ), but the moment I start using one, it becomes the crime of the century, ( I actually have a photo of a road sign that is positioned about 10 kms away, with the speed limits for a m/b and trailer ), also with the bullshit of making me put my dog in a cage on the back of my bike.

with all the bling bling and ting ting....$$ u can do all kinds of mods.... cheers happy modding.

If it ain't rooted,don't fix it.
leave the mods to young racer boys. They have easy access to machinery and all manner of tools.Chop shops sell all kinds of 'hot' spares to suit every want.
BlueNZ,I've seen what you're talking about. It was on a Honda RS wave. Driven by a disabled dude. That handle bar was ugly as and looked dangerous to control. Although it seemed to do the job of easing his back pain.
Why don't you buy a Suzuki EZ? 150. 45 mil with big bars,laid back feel and big seat.

Don't know about the parts mods, but I've seen lots of them - mirrors are the #1 change. I've even changed mine to more "cooler" ones. But technically, you're not supposed to change the primary color(s) of the bike unless you re-register it in the new color(s). I don't think minor color changes are enforced very often - at least I hope not, because I "blacked out" my bike, and my registration says it's black, white, and silver. I don't know why they had white as one of the colors - it never had any white on it, but all my silver parts are changed to black now. We'll see what happens the first time my registration is checked on the side of the road.

jimbream wrote:

If it ain't rooted,don't fix it.
leave the mods to young racer boys. They have easy access to machinery and all manner of tools.Chop shops sell all kinds of 'hot' spares to suit every want.
BlueNZ,I've seen what you're talking about. It was on a Honda RS wave. Driven by a disabled dude. That handle bar was ugly as and looked dangerous to control. Although it seemed to do the job of easing his back pain.
Why don't you buy a Suzuki EZ? 150. 45 mil with big bars,laid back feel and big seat.

The one I saw  was a full on chopper, big extended front forks and high apehangers, looked so funny with that tiny motor.
I have a good Mig Welder, and many years of working on machinery, so any mods wouldn't be a problem for me, ( but maybe once brought to the cops attention, it might be? ).
I usually carry a fair bit on my bike, ( including my dog ), the rack on the back, has a big sliding demountable box, ( so I can refuel without have to remove it ), and a large removable cage on top of that , it has brackets/fittings for carrying 3 metre lengths of steel, ( because I'm not allowed to use any of the 3 trailers I have made here, 2 are in use by VN's though), the space a front mounted fuel tank uses would be a waste for me. I have a Honda Future EFI, so I don't have to worry about lengthening a clutch cable.

Bluenz, it's strange (but being in VN, certainly not surprising) you have a problem with the trailers. I remember our old Expat.com poster extraordinaire, Jaitch, used to talk about towing trailers all the time. He had a permanent trailer hitch welded to his Kymco scooter for hitching them up. Maybe it has something to do with the area you're located. But again, being in VN, who knows? As for your mods, given what you've already done, if you're not having a problem with the authorities, you'll probably be OK with more. It appears you already know what you CAN'T do.

saigonmonkey wrote:

Bluenz, it's strange (but being in VN, certainly not surprising) you have a problem with the trailers. I remember our old Expat.com poster extraordinaire, Jaitch, used to talk about towing trailers all the time. He had a permanent trailer hitch welded to his Kymco scooter for hitching them up. Maybe it has something to do with the area you're located. But again, being in VN, who knows? As for your mods, given what you've already done, if you're not having a problem with the authorities, you'll probably be OK with more. It appears you already know what you CAN'T do.

Jaitch, AKA BMT on the Living in VN website . He seems to have disappeared?
     Apparently this is how the story here goes, a few years back, the Local Cong An, supposedly  paid all the trailers owners some sort of compensation, so they wouldn't use their trailers anymore, must be a big joke now for the ones that kept their trailers,  I've even seen new ones made here lately, it's the usual story, 'it's not what you are, it's who you are', ( but a few times my wife has asked for 'permission'  for me to use my trailer, no problem then ). Delivery guys from QN, ( 16kms away ), , usually sneak out here during the cops lunch break, I think a big fine is the case, if you get caught ).

ChrisFox wrote:

Does anyone know why so many bicycle riders in VN sit behind the seat instead of on it?

i used to sit behind the seat when iam a young girl . lol. it looks a little weird but it is also easy to ride, no problem :D just changing style a little bit. :D

nana91 wrote:
ChrisFox wrote:

i used to sit behind the seat when iam a young girl . lol. it looks a little weird but it is also easy to ride, no problem :D just changing style a little bit. :D

Isn't it so when there are 2 riding they can both pedal?? When only 1 riding, their legs are not long enough to pedal properly, ( maybe adjusting the seat might help? ).

ChrisFox wrote:

2 more theories,  1 VN's prefer hard seats, the carrier would be much the same as those big, heavy, monster wooden chairs they love so much.
      2   I've noticed when a woman has a small child , she sits it on the seat, while pedaling from behind.  ( I wonder if I'm allowed to do that with my dog?, probably another rule from their little Red book that will also forbid me from doing that, I suppose towing a trailer behind a bicycle up here would also be out of the question, ( for me ).

bluenz wrote:
nana91 wrote:
ChrisFox wrote:

Isn't it so when there are 2 riding they can both pedal?? When only 1 riding, their legs are not long enough to pedal properly, ( maybe adjusting the seat might help? ).

yes. it's long enough. just try around your yard and you will see :D