Moving to Ottawa

Hello everybody,

I'm planning to move permanently to Ottawa next July 2013. I'm married with 2 kids. I already visited Ottawa and liked it very much but we are a little bit confused in choosing which area is the best for us as new comers : Which area has good schools, neighborhood etc.. : Kanata, Nepean, Barrhaven  ?
Could you give me any advice on this ?
Thank you in advance !

salam,

I live in USA and same to you I'm considering moving to Ottawa, I have 2 kids and I'm looking for good schools, safe neighborhoods... I really have no clue, I don't wanna move there and end up by living in a neighborhood with gangsters or drug dealers. so far.... I m just googling,and I might go for couple visites before taking a decision. Good luck to us.

It depends on your budgets...however, good middle class neighbourhoods include anything away from Downtdown or the east side. West end Barrhaven/Kanata/Centerpointe etc. are good areas, also far east in Orleans is a good area, but housing prices have gone up. Good news is, they are building plenty of condo's and affordable housing, which you may find your neighbours being full-time working 20-something year olds.

Stay away from Richie, St.Laurent, Draper, Ramsey, Overbrook, Downtown and Walkley area if you don't want gangsters, drug dealers and low income living.

Alex

Thanks alpha89, this is very helpful at least I know what places to avoid. Thanks a lot.

Thank you Alpha89 for the hints ! Very helpful !

To "myKids2" : Yep ! seems like we are going through the same process :) My search will be focussed on the west end area. I don't want to have bad suprises so I'm trying to collect as much information as I can to make the good choice. Good luck to you !

Same here. I don't want surprises at all :) I don't wanna be disappointed that's why I'm trying to get more information, go for a visit during summer time, then I'll go from there.

I'll keep you posted if I get any new info :)

Thanks, I'll do the same.

Hi Bettysa,

So, where are you know. Arrived to Ottawa? not yet?

Please keep us updating and tell us about your impression.

Thanks

Hello,
I am Mallik Shaheed Hussain from Bangladesh.I am working in a NGO name Centre for Mass Education in Science as a program organizer . It is a social development organization . We are trying to empower the disadvantage rural adolescents economically and socially .
I am very very much interested to go to Canada but I do not know how will I arrange that.

An online search for Canadian immigration website would be the place to start.

Hi Abdel,

I haven't moved to Ottawa yet, Planning to do it this coming summer (july 2013). Will surely share my experience and impression on Expat.com :) The canadian harsh winter is worrying me , but I hope it won't be a big deal for me and my family to adapt to it !

Hi Bettysa,

It's just when you say ''Planning to do it this coming summer (july 2013).'' we are confused as July 2013 it's over. probably you mean July 2014.

Anyway you will be welcome anytime, and for the winter I'll invite you to read my message about snowshoeing in Ottawa ;)

Abdel

OOPS ! yes indeed Abdel, I meant July 2014 :)