Testing Thread

This is a test.  I'm experimenting.  I want to know how this BBcode Forum flags a thread with a thumbs up icon.  I've only seen it two times and want to know how it works.  I had first suspect it was something the moderators did manually (like a sticky) but it seems like it's automatic. 

If you look in the "threads list", you'll see the thread "Do and don't in Vietnam" has a green thumbs up icon next to it.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=219

I'm suspecting that this icon shows up if any post inside that thread gets more than 5 "recommendations".  Since the particular post by jimbream in that thread got 7 recommends.   

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 76#1605934

Which has now been deleted by a moderator...

So help me test this theory.  In the following post, please click the "recommend" button.

If you like this post talking about the "test", then click the recommend button on THIS post.  :P Actually, just recommend this post...it needs to get to 7.

Recommend This Post.  Click the button "Recommend" button below (Report/Recommend/Quote/Reply).  Thanks.

Hello Tran,

No need for the test. As you guessed this is an automatic feature (sometimes also manually done by Team) when a particular thread or reply gets quite a few recommendations. You're correct, it is not very often you see it, unfortunately many of our members don't take the time to recommend postings or don't understand the "RECOMMEND" button.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Recommend This Post.  Click the button "Recommend" button below (Report/Recommend/Quote/Reply).  Thanks.

Don't recommend that post,recommend this post.
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/alhovik/alhovik1107/alhovik110700020/9882176-checkered-flag.jpg

wjwoodward wrote:

Hello Tran,

No need for the test. As you guessed this is an automatic feature (sometimes also manually done by Team) when a particular thread or reply gets quite a few recommendations. You're correct, it is not very often you see it, unfortunately many of our members don't take the time to recommend postings or don't understand the "RECOMMEND" button.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

Great test THD,
I am curious why some posts got deleted in that same thread. The general comment of inappropriate from the team on the thread really does not help.  Now I was made fun of on that thread, but I laugh along, no offense was taken by me, some of my posts were deleted and there was nothing inappropriate. They all dealt with "do's and don'ts".  Maybe Mr. Woodward can shed some light?

So far 8 16 19 recommends total for the thread but no green thumbs up on the thread list.  My hypothesis is 10 recommends since the Do and don'ts currently has 11 total.  Since jimbream's post got deleted, I think that thread lost the green thumb for a moment but has since gotten it back.

Well crap..Hmm...maybe once you get the green thumbs up, you don't lose it...Add 7 from jimbream's post to the 11 currently for the Do and don'ts thread gives you 18.

Okay, let's see if this thread does anything when we hit 18 recommends.

What if its not a useful thread?
Does it get the one up? LOL

cth wrote:

What if its not a useful thread?
Does it get the one up? LOL

I don't think the BBcode can distinguish a useful thread from a non-useful thread.

The other hypothesis is that the Dos and don'ts in Vietnam thread was created by a Expat Team so they may have given themselves a green thumb. 

I'm trying to find out the numerical value for when the BBcode kicks in the green thumbs up icon.

Your onto something hu THD

Another one on the Thread List that has a green thumbs up icon is the Vietnamese Wife thread

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=254459

It has 66 recommends, with 233 replies and 9702 views.

ONE post has 7 recommends which highlights that particular posts and says "Anwser recommended by the community" (yes the word "Answer" is misspelled.  Go see for yourself.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =4#1332937

Now I have a new theory that the green thumbs up icon kicks in when you get any ONE particular post getting 7 recommends and earning the "Anwser recommended by the community".

I wonder if saigonmonkey got karma points for that.

If it is sometimes manually done by the team, it can also be manually undone by the team. You may never find out, THD.

Can't you just look at the page source and get it?

saigonmonkey wrote:

If it is sometimes manually done by the team, it can also be manually undone by the team. You may never find out, THD.

Hey go recommend the second post so it'll get 7 recommends will you?  It should get the "Anwser recommended by the community" award/flag/highlight.  I want to see if this thread then gets the green thumbs up icon.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

ONE post has 7 recommends which highlights that particular posts and says "Anwser recommended by the community" (yes the word "Answer" is misspelled.  Go see for yourself.

Whoa Whoa Whoa!!! Whaaaaaat? I didn't know that! Now I'm sitting here feeling all bad because I'm on a moderator-trashing binge!

SORRY MODS. Maybe you're not so bad after all. :D

SUCCESS!!!!! we got the green thumbs up!

http://www.redbricksmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/marketing-success.jpg

Nice work THD

cth wrote:

Nice work THD

hahaha, see what not having a television can do for mankind?

saigonmonkey wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Whoa Whoa Whoa!!! Whaaaaaat? I didn't know that! Now I'm sitting here feeling all bad because I'm on a moderator-trashing binge!

SORRY MODS. Maybe you're not so bad after all. :D

Now we know they did not steal our spell check button. Good job THD!

Okay after following the scientific method, I figured out the "mystery of the green thumbs up" icon.

http://s7.postimg.org/ca1gl0zx7/greenthumbsup.jpg

First hypothesis was the total number of recommends a thread gets...

wrong...

Second hypothesis was the number of replies a thread gets...

not enough replies to test it...

Third...well, I'll have to let Congress read the scientific discovery report but for YOU, here's how it works.

If any one post in a thread gets 7 recommends, then that post gets flagged/highlighted as "Anwser recommended by the community" (yes the word "Anwser" is misspelled by whoever coded the BBcode for this forum.)

After a post gets the "Anwser recommended by the community", then the Green Thumbs Up icon appears next to the thread's name when you scroll the Thread List.

The Vietnamese Wife thread has ONE post with 7 recommends that says "Anwser recommended by the community" so it got a green thumbs up icon.

So...why does the Do and don't in Vietnam thread has a green thumbs up icon next to it but NO 7 recommends?

That's because jimbream had a funny sarcastic post in that thread that had 7 recommends but a moderator deleted it.

Also as wjwoodward said in the third post above, an Expat-Blog Team moderator can manually give a green thumbs up to a thread.  However, in the case for the Dos and don'ts in Vietnam, it was all jimbream baby!  Too bad that post got deleted; it was pretty funny.

"Too bad that post got deleted"

Not "deleted", but "moved" LOL

OK, next challenge, figure out the IRS' auditing triggers.

So curious....what happens when a thread gets 2 "Anwser recommended by the community" posts?

Anyone reading this, recommend the FIRST post so it will go past the 7 recommend benchmark.  I wonder if it's just a green thumbs up or does it change to a red thumbs up.

My guess is the green thumbs up icon is triggered whenever one post gets 7 recommends.  But doesn't hurt to test and try it out.

You have too much time for these things :D

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

So curious....what happens when a thread gets 2 "Anwser recommended by the community" posts?

Be careful, this could be what happened to Krypton.

charmavietnam wrote:

You have too much time for these things :D

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Yah, I think I need a "full-time" job.  My volunteer gigs keep me occupied but as a few of you have mentioned: I have way too much time on my hands.

Alright, so let's go light up the forum...

Sure...go recommend the first post.

That's wierd.  The first post just hit 7 recommendations.  But no "Anwser recommended by the community".

ancientpathos wrote:

Great test THD,
I am curious why some posts got deleted in that same thread. The general comment of inappropriate from the team on the thread really does not help.  Now I was made fun of on that thread, but I laugh along, no offense was taken by me, some of my posts were deleted and there was nothing inappropriate. They all dealt with "do's and don'ts".  Maybe Mr. Woodward can shed some light?

I just posted a new thread in an attempted to figure out why some posts keep getting deleted/moderated/etc.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=321856

Guys, if you need any information about the website & certain algorithms, just ask me, and I'll do my best explain everything

edit : if it's not related to security

I mean I have no problem in explaining how we designed this feature ;)

and by the way, I also have no problem in changing my way of thinking / improving things little by little

Julien wrote:

Guys, if you need any information about the website & certain algorithms, just ask me, and I'll do my best explain everything (if I can)

Ok, how many more posts do we need to spam in order to make Founder rank?  :lol:

I do see alot of people ask about information that is already found on old threads.  The current "Google Custom Search" feature is useless as it searches the whole Internet and not internally on Expat-Blog.  Is there a thread/keyword/posts search feature in the works?

You know what ? regarding the search engine, you'll probably get surprised very soon... and it will only be a start ;)

Julien wrote:

I'll do my best explain everything

Where are my cool emoticons???  :idontagree:

Howie,

you can't imagine how many emoticons libraries the team and I checked. We've found something, and it's coming soon ;)

Ok, Julien...  As long as I get them, before my 80th birthday...  :lol: 

BTW, what did you guys do to Anatta?

arf - it will be available before your 80th birthday, I promise

I even though about contracting a graphic designer in order to get your own /exclusive emoticons (wouldn't that be cool?)

Regarding Anatta, we also miss her ! Maybe you should drop her a line ?

Julien wrote:

Regarding Anatta, we also miss her ! Maybe you should drop her a line ?

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/roflmao.gif

That was good, Julien!!!

Did you see that, Saigonmonkey?  Julien called Anatta a she...

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Okay after following the scientific method, I figured out the "mystery of the green thumbs up" icon.

http://s7.postimg.org/ca1gl0zx7/greenthumbsup.jpg

First hypothesis was the total number of recommends a thread gets...

wrong...

Second hypothesis was the number of replies a thread gets...

not enough replies to test it...

Third...well, I'll have to let Congress read the scientific discovery report but for YOU, here's how it works.

If any one post in a thread gets 7 recommends, then that post gets flagged/highlighted as "Anwser recommended by the community" (yes the word "Anwser" is misspelled by whoever coded the BBcode for this forum.)

After a post gets the "Anwser recommended by the community", then the Green Thumbs Up icon appears next to the thread's name when you scroll the Thread List.

The Vietnamese Wife thread has ONE post with 7 recommends that says "Anwser recommended by the community" so it got a green thumbs up icon.

So...why does the Do and don't in Vietnam thread has a green thumbs up icon next to it but NO 7 recommends?

That's because jimbream had a funny sarcastic post in that thread that had 7 recommends but a moderator deleted it.

Also as wjwoodward said in the third post above, an Expat-Blog Team moderator can manually give a green thumbs up to a thread.  However, in the case for the Dos and don'ts in Vietnam, it was all jimbream baby!  Too bad that post got deleted; it was pretty funny.

Finally my 15 seconds of fame.
By the way,have a look at all the recommends of each poster on this thread.And everyone's getting some.

Hi all,

Everything has been said here!

If you have any question about using the forum or the site, share with us through on the Help us improve the website forum or by using Contact us option.

Thank you!

David.

Expat-blog team.

P.S: Topic Closed.

Closed